Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume adjust for MIC in Input 1 (analog) - Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drums1056

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Volume adjust for MIC in Input 1 (analog) - Kronos Reply with quote

Cant seem to find any monitor GAIN (room volume) for vocal mic in Audio input 1. Playback volume on Keyboard is mid-range (enough to blow out my neighbors front doors) before I can start to hear the Mic. Rear adjust to MIC input is at 11. BUS select at L/R. Volume Level default to 127. Thanks for any assist..... D
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the microphone battery. Does the level meter show any signal? Is the Line/Mic switch on the rear panel in the out (Mic) position?
drums1056

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Battery is fine, recording volume shows fine, set to MIC not line. Wish it was that simple. Just cant raise the volume over 127 and, again, with the keys playing at 1/2 volume thats not audible over the mix. Need to understand how to increase Mic volume (monitoring) independently of keys volume. D
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some tips to help you out, but I have to mention that you really should be using a good mic pre-amp *first* to get the level of a mic plugged directly into the Kronos hot enough. With that said, here's some ways to cheat, just watch out for feedback.

1) MIC rear input should *not* be set to 11, you'll get distortion that way. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but turn that knob on the back of the Kronos at Audio input down, maybe to 50%, until the level meters on the Audio In page show that your voice comes in at mostly around 70%. You want only peaking with louder shouts. You don't want the green to max out. Max = digital distortion = bad.

2) Next, set Bus Select to an unused IFX. Let's say IFX 6.
Now on the IFX tab, you'll see the meters moving when you talk into the mic. What we want now is to use various IFX to boost and shape the mic input. Try something like 121: Limiter => P4EQ, found on the Mono-Mon tab.

3) Boost the Gain Adjust on the Limiter portion, and tailor the EQ curve to your liking. Again, be very careful of feedback. Feedback happens more often when your signal is boosted too much at the gain stage, which is what we're doing here.

4) If you want more level, then chain IFX 6 into IFX 7, and choose another Compressor like the Dyna Comp for IFX 7. Boost that Output again.

5) Finally, let's polish the vocals. You can turn up the send1 and send 2 (at the end of IFX 7) up to your desired levels. I'm assuming you set your MFX 1 to chorus and MFX2 to reverb, and set their return levels up quite a bit.

There you go. The cheater's guide to the mic FX. (You still should use a good mic pre-amp *first*...)
drums1056

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

so in SEQ mode, went to Audio In Tab, Switched off Global settings and assigned BUS to IFX6, went to IFX tab (IFX 1-12) and there is no level indicator for mic volume (set rear mic control to 50%). There must be another setting Im missing?

D.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drums1056 wrote:
Thanks

so in SEQ mode, went to Audio In Tab, Switched off Global settings and assigned BUS to IFX6, went to IFX tab (IFX 1-12) and there is no level indicator for mic volume (set rear mic control to 50%). There must be another setting Im missing?

D.

No other settings needed. If Bus Select is on L/R, do you hear/see your mic signal?

If there is no signal, check your physical connections first. If the mic has an on/off button, is it on? Is the mic cable plugged into Audio 1? Is the mic cable firmly seated on both ends, and is it a known good cable?

While on this Audio Input page, make sure Input 1 Level is not 0. Also, above the Pan, make sure that you see a green PLAY and not a yellow MUTE.

And of course, make sure you didn't SOLO another track on the main Mixer page.

Make sure the Master Volume didn't get changed to 0. (MFX/IFX ==> Routing tab, lower right).
drums1056

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - Thanks much. Issue was I couldnt find the Mono-Mono tab. But you gave me enough hints and I got there. Now I need to work on balancing sound etc.

I had sent out a second question if you have time ; How to "save as" without having to constantly rename a song (.SNG) after making changes / edits. Its not obvious , if it IS possible (?)

Thanks again!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pressing the REC/Write button. Then just hit OK for the pop up box.

That works from any mode -- GLOBAL, Set List, Combi, etc. It saves what you're currently working on without having to go thru all kinds of hoops.
drums1056

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

So just to make sure I understand. I load a song. Add/ edit. Push STOP after edit. Then push Rec/Write again and will get a prompt to save? Thks D
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drums1056 wrote:
Hey

So just to make sure I understand. I load a song. Add/ edit. Push STOP after edit. Then push Rec/Write again and will get a prompt to save? Thks D

That Rec/Write "save" shortcut works in Program, Combi, Set List, Global modes. It doesn't work in SEQ or Sampling mode, since there are actual use cases for "record" unlike the other modes.

The user manual says you should go to DISK mode and do a Save All to save your songs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: