Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PadKontrol Main Encoder Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quest8222

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: PadKontrol Main Encoder Replacement Reply with quote

Maybe this will save some poor soul from the month of effort I put into this.

I'm an OG PadKontrol user (White, early 2000's model) and broke the main encoder in transport. As you may know without that main encoder and without a power supply to make changes through midi using the editor/librarian you're basically reduced to a midi trigger.

1. Korg gave me the part number 500646098900 and later realized this part is discontinued.

2. Korg's spare parts vendor partsisparts.com gave me this part number and description and said it was also discontinued.

510374524018 Encoder RE111F-40B1-15F-15P(D) 1

All of this took 12 total emails to figure out.

BUT the lead I needed was in the encoder designation: RE111F-40B1-15F-15P. It's made by Alpha out of Taiwan. Google search yielded some hits but nothing in stock or shippable to US.

Short story I had to study this to figure out what is I could compromise in a replacement encoder (111F, 40, 15P designations are vital).

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/13/E111F-1522297.pdf

Found a supplier that would ship me one in the US. Costed ~$30 bucks. ehh. Rapidonline ships FAST.

https://www.rapidonline.com/taiwan-alpha-11mm-vertical-encoder-25mm-flat-metal-shaft-15ppr-67-1202

Buddy of mine cracked open the PK (easy) detached the encoder (not super easy) and soldered the new one to the board--he had to clamp the posts with pliers a bit to make it fit. Don't ask me any more technical detail on this as I didn't do that part. WORKS LIKE A CHAMP, MANE!

Sure I coulda bought another one used for 75-100 bucks after shipping, but this became personal and if I was gonna spend nearly $100 on this thing I was gonna add another 150 buy a used Push 1 instead (I got the Push anyway). But hey I learned things and my full sized KPC pads and XY pad are always welcome around my studio.

Cheers.
jaredqpittman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered just to say thank you for the link! Have been putting off fixing my PK for years and found this after looking into modding the pad light LED's. Now I have a new encoder on the way as well.

Much appreciated!
quest8222

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jared,

A couple things you should know. .

1. The encoders are so cheap I recommend buying multiples, just in case you screw something up. I bought 5.

2. The 15F designation refers to the length of the post. You have two options: buy a really deep cap for the post or cut it down to size with a Dremel or something.

I chose #2 at first and ruined the encoder detented potentiometer mechanism AFTER my buddy had soldered it in. Which means I had to buy more encoders. That's why I recommend buying more than one.

Good luck dude!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: