Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos LS keyboard problem - sinking keys - design problem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mcgoo



Joined: 07 May 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgoo wrote:
Late to the party here... I started Googling when my 3 yr old LS started developing the same problem & lo & behold I found this thread. I'm not handy enough to fix it on my own. I'm hoping to wait until there's a hole in my schedule before taking it in for repair since my repair shop is a few hours away & I know they'll need to keep it a while. My question is, for anyone who has had the sinking keys problem, are these keys on the verge of breaking? My LS is a single keyboard live rig, so I'm worried it may be a ticking time bomb if I keep gigging with it as is. Thoughts?



update on my issue. I took my LS in for repair a week ago. I pointed them to this thread & a few of the YouTube videos that show the problem / solution. I voiced the thought that it appears to be a known issue. I think they blew all that off. They diagnosed the problem, gave me an estimate (approx $200.00) and went to order parts. Korg didn't have the parts but they had a third party supplier that did. Then after seeing Dave's (OP) post about Korg replacing his keybed, I asked him for some details and shared his response of his dealings with Korg to the retailer that was doing my repair. Finally they called Korg and Korg agreed to replace my keybed. My Kronos is out of warranty too, so Kudos to Korg for covering this. Keep in mind if you have this issue that your repair shop may not be aware that Korg is willing to replace the keybed. Mine is a MAJOR retailer & they didn't know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ferares4



Joined: 10 Jun 2020
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have placed a comment in all videos from KORG promoting this product, this is really unacceptable, it really is a manufacturing issue, here's someone who has really helped the community by showing the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NASbpCfh6x0&t=450s

I'm not sure if KORG is aware of this or not, but they should fix this permantly, or replace faulty instruments to people experiencing this issue...


Last edited by ferares4 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcgoo



Joined: 07 May 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferares4 wrote:

I'm not sure if KORG is aware of this or not, but they should fix this permantly, or replace faulty instruments to people experiencing this issue...

I encourage everyone having this issue to let KORG know about it and contribute to a permanent solution:

Here is the official LS page, you can add a comment as well, hope we can make some noise together...


I'm guessing you didn't read my post. Korg is taking care of their customers. Reach out to them, either directly or thru your dealer / repair tech. And yes, they have redesigned the keybed. The biggest bummer is that the replacement keybeds are not due in for another 4-6 weeks. Either way, I'd discourage people from flaming Korg. Yup, they put out a bad product, but they appear to be making amends and doing the right thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ferares4



Joined: 10 Jun 2020
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgoo wrote:
ferares4 wrote:

I'm not sure if KORG is aware of this or not, but they should fix this permantly, or replace faulty instruments to people experiencing this issue...

I encourage everyone having this issue to let KORG know about it and contribute to a permanent solution:

Here is the official LS page, you can add a comment as well, hope we can make some noise together...


I'm guessing you didn't read my post. Korg is taking care of their customers. Reach out to them, either directly or thru your dealer / repair tech. And yes, they have redesigned the keybed. The biggest bummer is that the replacement keybeds are not due in for another 4-6 weeks. Either way, I'd discourage people from flaming Korg. Yup, they put out a bad product, but they appear to be making amends and doing the right thing.


I've edited my comment because it is not my intention to flame anyone, but to let them know this is happening... honestly I didn't see your last comment stating that they replaced the part without charge, however I must disagree with part of your statement... If KORG is aware of a manufacturing issue, at first they should remove the faulty product from market and secondly it should communicate to their customers about this issue and encourage them to take the instrument to their retailer for replacing the product or the part in this case. That's the way a renown brand such a KORG should proceed if they really care about their customers. I already raised this to the local retailer but I don't live in the US, things are harder to achieve in here. I'll give an update in case I can fix this permanently...

Thanks for sharing this info to the community
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcgoo



Joined: 07 May 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferares4 wrote:
...however I must disagree with part of your statement... If KORG is aware of a manufacturing issue, at first they should remove the faulty product from market and secondly it should communicate to their customers about this issue and encourage them to take the instrument to their retailer for replacing the product or the part in this case.


I get what what you're saying and I don't think you're wrong... my guess is that not every LS keybed is going bad, so they're simply choosing to replace the keybeds on an as per need basis. It's possible that it would be financially devastating for them to do a total recall of the keyboard and replace every one of them, so if they're not experiencing a 100% failure rate, then I can understand their approach. I want them to be around tomorrow, so for the moment, I'm satisfied with how they've handled the situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
export-B
Junior Member


Joined: 03 Jan 2018
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were also key issues on my Kronos LS. Currently, three keys have been lowered. Even if I have them fixed, this story probably won’t end. I’m thinking about replacing the entire keyboard. Does anyone have experience if it fits, say, the Fatar TP40 keyboard or, say, the TP100 or any of their own?
_________________
Polysix, Poly 800, DW6000, DW8000, DS8, M1, PA1X Pro, PA2X Pro, Kronos X 61, PA3X Pro, PA3X LE, PA700, PA4X 76, PA1000, Kronos SE and now Nautilus 73 and Casio PXS3000, Cubase 11, NI Ultimate 12, Komplete Kontrol S49,ReFX 3.0,.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KK
Platinum Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2016
Posts: 1050

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

export-B wrote:
There were also key issues on my Kronos LS. Currently, three keys have been lowered. Even if I have them fixed, this story probably won’t end. I’m thinking about replacing the entire keyboard. Does anyone have experience if it fits, say, the Fatar TP40 keyboard or, say, the TP100 or any of their own?

It's complicated. You have to find a tech good enough at logic circuits to compare/define the custom row/column/phantom arrangements of both keyboards. He might need to design a custom "fitting circuit" to match both. A much easier solution would be to simply get the free repair from Korg and/or, if you really need to, an extra MIDI controller.
_________________
Shhh  My Kronos 7   Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
export-B
Junior Member


Joined: 03 Jan 2018
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK, thanks for the reply.

It seemed to me that replacing the entire keyboard with another would be very challenging. There is no point in confusing it with the same. The only question is whether to drive the Kronos to the service or wait a year or so for most of the keys to go lower and then do a "general service".
_________________
Polysix, Poly 800, DW6000, DW8000, DS8, M1, PA1X Pro, PA2X Pro, Kronos X 61, PA3X Pro, PA3X LE, PA700, PA4X 76, PA1000, Kronos SE and now Nautilus 73 and Casio PXS3000, Cubase 11, NI Ultimate 12, Komplete Kontrol S49,ReFX 3.0,.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hephiroth



Joined: 22 May 2021
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCMUSIC3 wrote:
The new keybed.

new Kronos keybed EDIT 2.jpg

The old key spring.

Spring original text.jpg

The redesigned spring.

Spring new design text.jpg

The sharp edge of the spring has been smoothed out.

Let's hope this new design fixes the issue.


Thanks for sharing the images of the fix! Assuming they switched to the new keyboard at some point during the production runs, do you know if there is a way to tell by serial number whether a particular LS88 has the new vs. old keybed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ferares4



Joined: 10 Jun 2020
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: After keybed replacement I'm having some weird issues Reply with quote

So I finally got my keybed replaced, my kronos ls was one year old and out of warranty, so local korg representative made the change without charge...

Now I'm having a very strange issue, when I play 3 keys combined (A3 D4 E4) there's another key that loose sensitivity, here's a video for better understanding:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/180sB4CBhyJZVJ3e5sRTvlsgP0ilRzEts/view?usp=sharing

Still not sure if this is hardware or software related, however I already tried "restoring to factory", and I've never experienced this before changing the keybed.

Anyone has faced something similar? Any clue on how to fix it? In the meantime I'm complaining again to the local retalier, will keep you guys updated.

Thanks!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DCMUSIC3



Joined: 27 Jul 2017
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: After keybed replacement I'm having some weird issues Reply with quote

ferares4 wrote:
So I finally got my keybed replaced, my kronos ls was one year old and out of warranty, so local korg representative made the change without charge...

Now I'm having a very strange issue, when I play 3 keys combined (A3 D4 E4) there's another key that loose sensitivity, here's a video for better understanding:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/180sB4CBhyJZVJ3e5sRTvlsgP0ilRzEts/view?usp=sharing

Still not sure if this is hardware or software related, however I already tried "restoring to factory", and I've never experienced this before changing the keybed.

Anyone has faced something similar? Any clue on how to fix it? In the meantime I'm complaining again to the local retalier, will keep you guys updated.

Thanks!!!


Same problem here with my new keybed!!

This can also occur on another combination of notes but higher up the keyboard. It happened to me during a gig. But I haven't yet figured out what combination of keys triggered the problem.

Looks like it's back to the dealers again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DCMUSIC3



Joined: 27 Jul 2017
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More key combinations that trigger this problem.

Hold down the keys for Ebm7 in second inversion (Bb Db Eb Gb).

While holding these keys down play the D natural that's in the middle of the cluster.
The D natural has lost it's velocity sensitivity.

Another: hold an Fsus chord above middle C (F Bb C).
While holding down the chord play the A key that's in the middle of the cluster.
The A has lost it's sensitivity.
This combination also triggers the problem when transposed down 2 octaves or 3 octaves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmdrent



Joined: 16 May 2012
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My LS is out of warranty and Korg is doing the right thing by shipping me a new keybed. Apparently they have been on back order for several months. Looking forward to getting this situation resolved. Now I'm nervous about this new issue with key sensitivity issues Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ferares4



Joined: 10 Jun 2020
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmdrent wrote:
My LS is out of warranty and Korg is doing the right thing by shipping me a new keybed. Apparently they have been on back order for several months. Looking forward to getting this situation resolved. Now I'm nervous about this new issue with key sensitivity issues Rolling Eyes


Just for you guys to have an update on my status, I sent my KRONOS LS back to the retailer, as they commented, they are working with KORG to update the System, so, apparently, it may be a software-related issue after replacing the keybed... I guess this "new keybed" is some part they manufacture for other korg products and may require some SW adjustments to work smoothly on KRONOS LS, I'm thinking out loud. I'll keep you guys posted, if any of you have some related information will be much appreciated as well!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ferares4



Joined: 10 Jun 2020
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferares4 wrote:
rmdrent wrote:
My LS is out of warranty and Korg is doing the right thing by shipping me a new keybed. Apparently they have been on back order for several months. Looking forward to getting this situation resolved. Now I'm nervous about this new issue with key sensitivity issues Rolling Eyes


Just for you guys to have an update on my status, I sent my KRONOS LS back to the retailer, as they commented, they are working with KORG to update the System, so, apparently, it may be a software-related issue after replacing the keybed... I guess this "new keybed" is some part they manufacture for other korg products and may require some SW adjustments to work smoothly on KRONOS LS, I'm thinking out loud. I'll keep you guys posted, if any of you have some related information will be much appreciated as well!


Bad news... non software related, seems they have to replace the keybed again Brick wall , I'm quite frustrated at this point... what happened with you @DCMUSIC3 ?? Did you get it resolved?


Regards,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group