Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up Two tier organ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mersip

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Setting up Two tier organ Reply with quote

I'm keen to set up a Combination which replicates a Hammond B3, ie Upper Drawbars being played by the external keyboard and the Lower Drawbars being played on the Kronos.

I've chosen INT-A 042 KE Picture at an Exhibition. I've copied the timbre into two slots of a Combi, with one triggered by the Kronos and one by the external keyboard. But I am having no luck getting the keyboards to register the different Drawbars. Do I have to create another copy of the Program and give the Lower Drawbar priority, or is there some way of controlling which Drawbars the Timbre is controlled by in Combi mode?

Thanks

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up Two tier organ Reply with quote

Mersip wrote:
Do I have to create another copy of the Program and give the Lower Drawbar priority

That sounds about right...

janrhansen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Crumar Mojo61 and control lower manual from the Kronos.

The Kronos CX-3 engine have a very strange way of doing lower+upper settings and it isn't behaving anyway near a B3 does

The VB3 engine of the Crumar is far superior soundwise to the Kronos, plus its very true to the Original B3 functions. If you cant do xxx on a B3 you can't do it on the mojo.
I really don't get why Korg only thaught of a single keyboard version when designing the CX-3 engine, instead of designing it as a full instrument with upper, lower and bass settings for each patch.

Anyway
This way you can control the upper manual and bass drawbars on the Mojo, and lower manual drawbars on the Kronos sliders.

Alternately if you already have a favorit upper keyboard, could just buy the VB3-II vst if you have a computer with a vst host/daw. Its well worth the money it cost
Perilous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the lower+upper is a little strange with the Kronos. It's better to use separate Uppers in a Combi as stated in the OP.

The only way I've been able to achieve this 2-tier organ is with a particular controller that can transmit sysex codes (and thankfully has nine sliders), that being the Roland A-800 Pro. It might also be possible with a Midi Event Processor Plus between your controller and the Kronos, to change cc# into sysex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVvAT00ZCN0
Mersip

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this post is a little old, but this weekend I worked out how you can set up a two tiered organ using one Programme.

In the Programme, set the Keyboard Split to E7 (or somewhere near the top). This means that when the Keyboard Split is turned On, the Lower Manual will be active across the entire keybed. When the Keyboard Split is Off, the default on the Kronos is that the Upper Manual is active. That sets up the Programme. It doesn't matter whether you save the Programme with the Split On or Off.

In your Combi, put this Programme into two separate Timbres, and set the second Timbre to your external Midi keyboard (this will be for the Upper Manual).

Open Control Panel. Select Timbre 1 (top right hand corner) - this will be the Lower Manual and will operate on the Kronos keybed. Select the Keyboard Split button to On (if it's not one of the choices, you can select it from the options). By turning the Split On, the Lower Manual is now active. Check to make sure the Drawbars (at the bottom of the Control Panel screen) are set to Lower Manual (again you can change these if they are not). Your Lower Manual is now operating.

With the Control Panel still open, select Timbre 2. This time, turn Keyboard Split Off. Because the Kronos defaults to the Upper Manual when Split is off, you have effectively activated this part of the Programme in this Timbre. Again, check that the Drawbars (at the bottom of the screen) are set for the Upper Manual.

You are now ready to go. You should be able to control the effects applying to the Upper Manual (chorus, leslie, etc) from either the Kronos or the second keyboard, and if you leave the Control Panel selected to Timbre 2, you should be able to change the Drawbars on the Upper Manual using the Kronos controls, even though you are playing the Upper Manual on the external keyboard.

To change the Drawbars on the Lower Manual, you must change to Timbre 1 in the Control Panel.

I have an Expression pedal on the Kronos and have it set so it control Expression on both the Lower and Upper Manuals (using Karma). I'm not at home but can post how to do this if that's helpful.

I hope this is helpful

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: