Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe newbie x newbie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailerom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Electribe newbie x newbie Reply with quote

I just got an E2S and I'm really struggling with some basics. Terminology seems to be a big one. For example when I choose a new preset (or whatever it's called) I want to record a sequence (or whatever it is called). I would have thought the shortcut to Clear Seq would do that but after choosing that option and activating it in the menu the sequence still plays. Nothing seems to have changed.

I guess it is possible this place is full of questions like these but I'm really stuck and the manual (sorry Korg) is not very good.

Is there somewhere that I can learn the terminology for this device? I've never owned a Korg device or anything remotely like the E2S. I've checked out a lot of videos but they seem to breeze over concepts that are probably elementary to most, but leave me wondering what has just happened.

For starters when I hit play I don't even know what to call what is happening. Is that a sequence, a part, or something esle altogether?

Also, I have tried building my own preset (or is that a part???). I have tried loading from the SD card and saving but everything is forgotten when I reboot. I've tried doing the same but importing to the E2S but again, all is lost when I reboot. Will the E2S run anything from the card or must it all be on the hardware? Or do I have to export to the .all file after any changes I make?

Sorry, I know that's a mess. Just really struggling and confused. Thanks for any help.
ailerom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Electribe newbie x newbie Reply with quote

Just tried to clean up the questions a bit.

Is there somewhere that I can learn the terminology for this device?

When I hit play I don't even know what to call what is happening. Is that a sequence, a part, or something else altogether?

Also, I have tried building my own preset (or is that a part???). I have tried loading from the SD card and saving but everything is forgotten when I reboot. I've tried doing the same but importing to the E2S but again, all is lost when I reboot. Will the E2S run anything from the card or must it all be on the hardware? Or do I have to export to the .all file after any changes I make?
ailerom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, gotcha, so this is not a place to get this sort of help.

How about a simpler request. Where could I go to get some help on this sort of issue. Particularly the terminology. A good glossary of terms would be great.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an E2S owner here, but I notice that the orginal ESX user manual has more detail, so might be helpful:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/1/104/1590/

Also, the top link in this section to Korg Electribe Resources and Information may have some useful links:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=99129
ailerom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Had a brief look at the manual for the ESX. I think I am gathering that a pattern is a preset, so it is the sounds and anything saved within that pattern including any sequenced material. I'd really like to know what is considered a sequence in the E2S. I would expect selecting clear sequence would remove all recorded notes but that is not what happens. As this is something I want to do I first have to find what the recorded material is referred to as, and then search for a way to delete that.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the official terminology is but think of it like this. Each of the 16 pads corresponds to a separate MIDI channel, and a single pattern contains up to four bars of sequenced music for each of the 16 channels. When you scroll through the presets, you are scrolling through patterns.

Off the top of my head, there are 100+ preset patterns, and when you scroll through to the end of them you will find a bunch of blank patterns, which you can use to sequence your own music.

If you want to get rid of all the presets, there is a blank pattern file somewhere in this forum that you can download. Put it on your SD card and load it into your E2S and you will have no presets, just blank templates. That will be a lot quicker than manually clearing them all yourself.

I'm not 100% sure as I don't have my E2S in front of me, but I think the Clear Sequence function clears motion-recorded data. I.e., when you're in record mode and you turn a knob such as filter cutoff, the E2S will record that, and play it back to you as part of the pattern. The Clear Sequence function will clear those knob turns while retaining the music/sequences in your patterns.

Hope that helps.
Steeplemouth
ailerom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. That is indeed helpful. Any bit of clarification gets me closer to understanding the device a bit better.

If I use the blank pattern file can I load it onto the device or does it only work from the SD card? Also wondering if it clears the samples? Hopefully they are still on the machine and I can just browse through them to create what I want.

There is a clear motion shortcut next to the clear sequence shortcut which leaves me a bit confused regarding the clearing of sequence data. Surely there is a way to reset the sequencer for a pattern?

Also wondering if I load my own samples and save the preset do I still have to export and overwrite the .all file on my SD card? I'm a bit in the dark as to whether the device is preferencing what is on the SD card or just the all file or or or?
ailerom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ask.audio/articles/5-tips-to-speed-up-your-korg-electribe-2-workflow

This website states "Hold down the Shift button and press the 6th button over from the left, on the bottom row. This brings the Clear Sequence function up, where you can remove the musical sequence for the Part in which you are currently working. But, the Part settings, like FX, Modulation, Motion Recordings and more are left"

Does that work for anyone? Not working here? I get the "OK" after I enter the function but the sequence is still present.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ailerom wrote:
Thanks very much. That is indeed helpful. Any bit of clarification gets me closer to understanding the device a bit better.

If I use the blank pattern file can I load it onto the device or does it only work from the SD card? Also wondering if it clears the samples? Hopefully they are still on the machine and I can just browse through them to create what I want.

There is a clear motion shortcut next to the clear sequence shortcut which leaves me a bit confused regarding the clearing of sequence data. Surely there is a way to reset the sequencer for a pattern?

Also wondering if I load my own samples and save the preset do I still have to export and overwrite the .all file on my SD card? I'm a bit in the dark as to whether the device is preferencing what is on the SD card or just the all file or or or?

If you load the blank .all file then it saves onto the device I believe, not on the SD card, and the machine will retain all of the samples that came with it. The process with using your own samples is a bit more murky, and is not very intuitive. I can't remember the exact process as I haven't used the E2S for a long time. It is boxed up and ready to sell as I bought an Octatrack and haven't used the Korg since. If you search this forum you will find lots of information on how to save your work when using your own samples.

As for the Clear Sequence question, I can't help you with that I'm afraid.

Good luck!
ailerom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help you've provided.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you have the right part selected? (it should light it up in blue)
Clear motion it clear the knobs movement you do so probably that's why you don't hear any difference, there's not automatiation so it won't make any difference.
There's not a global clear sequence but just by part, you can of course stay in the clear seq menu page and scroll between the part and press enter to clear the sequence....does it works?

I will suggest start with the basic in general not the Electribe.
Clear motion and clear sequence I don't think you need a manual for this really
ailerom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I have got that now. Thank you. No global clear sequence is a pain but at least I know what to do now. I exported a blank pattern which I can import to start from scratch.

Still pretty confused by the file management system this thing uses.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I have an idea how to save my own patterns. Please confirm if this will work.

Export the default *.all file (I want to keep the default samples). Keep it on the SD card. Go to pattern 150 and import samples from SD card (not sure exactly whether I need to import first or just load them to the pad). Export all file again.

I don't mind keeping the factory patterns and samples but I want to set up my own kits/patterns so that when I start the device I am straight in to using the samples I want.

Things I am unsure of.

1. If I export the .all file will I need to rename it to e2sSample or will that be the default exported file name.

2. Do I need to import my own samples onto the device or will this work if they are kept on the SD card.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically pattern are stored in the internal memory, you can load your pattern but I'm not sure if it will remember when you switch off(I guess I basically used a blank file pattern and override from there 250 are a lot anyway for me)
For the samples you have the e2samplesomething.all which basically are the samples the Electribe has when you switch on and accessible from the Sampler/Oscillator knobs. If you do export all sample it basically override every sample you changed in the sample edit page which means start/end point, loop, slice,tube,level or if you add any by resample or use the audio in.
The change you do with a sample in a pattern like pitch/edit knobs/filter/Amp EG/Efx etc stay in the pattern you save it.
Now if you want keep the original samples but have your own too you can open your SD card in a computer and duplicate the .all file, you can name how you want and that's will be your factory sample or download the blank sample .all files you can find on Korg website and load in your SD.
When you switch on the Electribe you have to do import sample and select your blank .all sample it will basically import all sample which has none,only the OSC and the audio in.
From there you can load single sample one by one and assign to any slot available,after you're happy with your kits do export all sample and it will override the .all file so when you switch on they're all there like the factory sample but with your custom kits.

Note that Electribe override always in the e2sample.all so the one you renamed in your computer will not be touch it.
So a workflow it will be save your factory sample, download the blank file,duplicate it and call one as the factory .all sample and another as "BLANK.all".
Start with loading the blank sample, customize your kit once you reach your limits or if you want have a different kit just go in your computer name as you want that .all file I usually put in a folder with all the sample divide by category and you repeat the process.
If you like to change your kit just do import sample and load whatever .all kit you created.
I'm not sure about the pattern because I usually when I'm happy with my song I record midi in Maschine and rename properly for an easy recall but probably you just have to download the blank pattern file and do similar process like the sample instead you just have to to import pattern and select tha file, every reboot will have those pattern, when you reach the 250 pattern, duplicate in a computer and so on.
Hope it helped Smile
ailerom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. I'll spend some time processing the information you've provided and hopefully get a better working idea of how to manage my files. Thanks very much for taking the time to try to help.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ailerom wrote:
Thanks very much. I'll spend some time processing the information you've provided and hopefully get a better working idea of how to manage my files. Thanks very much for taking the time to try to help.

No problem mate, feel free to drop me a DM I will be happy to share and learn stuff together.
I don't know what you do but yesterday I thinked about it and if you work with long sample(I do boom bap) another workflow will keep your favourite drum/pcm/whatever and when you sample stuff let's say from a vinyl and you use a long samples with 4/5 chops.
When you're done you can export the pattern with the appropriate name and export any new samples, include the one you resample(I abuse resample drum part so I can apply multiple effects) and you name it properly (for an easy recall you can set the pad number before the name part ex. 9Kickboom, 1/2/3/4/4 chops etc).
Then when you have time with your sd on the computer you can create folder with th song/pattern name so if you want to recall you can simply import the pattern,import the single sample but without export to all pattern you keep your custom kits +space.
Also I suggest load with single cycle waveform I put in 50 of them they didn't take a second from the sample memory and you basically have 50 new Synth instead of load bass/guitar sample Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: