Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe newbie x newbie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailerom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great tip about single cycles. I'm not sure where to grab any buy I'm sure I sort that out. Was just loading a bunch of drums samples onto the SD card and lamenting the fact that the more melodic samples I like are too long to use practically.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a recent post about it but remember to convert to the right sample rates and make sure is tune in C3.
Basically are one cycle of a wave so in order to have a tone you have to loop it at the beginning otherwise is just a click.
You can also make your own by justi loop a short sample and make aure it doesn't click,tune it, done but you'll find a lot online. I will sughest a tuner where you can see frequency response or use a tuner in any daw.
If you'd like to do in the Electribe, tune in the sample edit by semitone, once you're close to C3 write, load the wave on a parts and you can fine tune with the knobs, if you notice the first 10 or something step move by cent, when you find c3 just resample.
Note to make sure you easily find the start point, do resample and by hit the pad it will start record, stop it, a C3 it should be 366 sample long so if you sed the end point at 366 you should get your wave, of course don't forget to loop it.
Also take in mind the 366 because it will basically tune the sample at C3 so you avoid to tune it, just make sure it doesn't click.

Also don't forget the usual old school trick for long sample where you can resample by pitching up so it will take less seconds but then you have to remember to pitch it down when you bring in...you loose quality but could you really notice the difference Smile
ailerom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would really like to know. Is there a way to load a .all file? Or is the only way to name it e2sSample.all and have it auto load? I know there is a load pattern, load all pattern option, load sample but not load all sample.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it does with the import sample, if you select an .all files it will ask you "import all sample?" Press enter and you're done.
If you export all sample it will override to the e2sSample.all file.
If you'd like to take few sample from that .all fole just export single sample, load the e2sSample.all, import those sample, export all sample to override
ailerom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That's not so bad. Although it is quite a significant problem in many ways. The only point in loading a different .all file in my mind would be too edit it and save it again. Why let you load a different file if you can only overwrite your default one?
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ailerom wrote:
Thank you. That's not so bad. Although it is quite a significant problem in many ways. The only point in loading a different .all file in my mind would be too edit it and save it again. Why let you load a different file if you can only overwrite your default one?

Different workflow:
1 take your .all where you override as the kit you're using.
You can load other .all file for a quick look on other kit and you can export a sample and then import in your main .all.
In tha way you can basically have only .all files and export only the sample you have to recall, then in your computer sometimes clean up the mess.

2 you fill up your internal memory(probably you use long sample).
In this case you'll consider the .all file as your memory slot.
For an easy recall with pattern you can rename with the pattern number so anyway you want to edit your project you know what .all file recall.

3 My actually workflows is have around 120 sec free I believe where I got around 50 kick,50 snare,50 hat,50 perc,50 cymbal/crash and around 100 single cycle waveform. I have 150 slot or if you use a Java app you can use all the slot included the one where factory sample suppose to be(if you deleted it will jump from audio in st to 501).
Because I resample from vinyl and I abuse of resample my parts I fill up the memory or take a lot after few project.
So I decided once I'm done with a project I export the patterns(just in case) and the relative sample included drums I resample(I always rename my sample in the Electribe I can't handle only numbers).
When I got time on my computer I make folder with the project name and put pattern and sample file.
For an easy recall because I don't finish stuff in a session or I do multiple session I override my .all file just to have the samples ready to go when I will switch on.
I will delete once I'm done with the project.
Everything is in slot of 50 with 150 slot free, I don't use pcm because I too long, doesn't sound nice and I prefer have a synth approach or sample a melody and chop it up.
Sometimes I do kicks I by adding effect or made inside or out from synth that I really like it,in tha case I will keep in my 50 kick slot.

Hope I give you few ideas how you can work "smooth" with it.
Honestly I come from Maschine workflow and I'm fast with the workflow and shift command, it's super smooth for me.
But at the same time once you got the muscle memory it's not even a thing it bother me, it just became the workflow,it's not fast but faster to do other things Smile
People tend to want too much a machine that does everything how they want it or they expect to get Ableton or similar for £300, or ask digitakt to play more than 4 voice I mean Yeah! It's sometimes annoying find that you can add a part but it will cut out in tha case it's easier to just have less part, infact the only thing I don't understand is why they didn't go for a pad bed like the old Tribe with parts and 16 sequencer but hey you can play velocity with it and just set less available parts in your mind

Peace
ailerom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I could rename the 'all file as I export it I would be a happy user. Thanks so much for all the help you have given though. I have a workflow now and it is just a matter of getting fluent with it.

What I'd really like is just a handful of melodic instruments, pads and basses and I could journey on that for a while. Starting to think I'm going to have to make my own but man it would be so cool if there was an electribe sample pack somewhere that fit the bill. I have more drums samples than any rational human could ever need though.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I helped, yeah workflow needs to get used but it'll come.
Yeah few expansion would be really nice and easy but I guess they didn't do to don't cut out the emx which can't resample and load new one.
I think that's the main problem with the actual Electribe is that the sampler has synth too so if Korg does pack for the Sampler it will cut out the blue version, instead without synth the blue can still be strong and they could do an extra drive on the blue like the old one and maybe a 2nd edit knob for the red.
The actual Electribe ESX is the strongest because it has easiest workaround for the limitations
ailerom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your sample library? I don't really know what I want so apart from one kit with some bass parts I just have massive amounts of samples. Probably too many to wade through. I need to pear it down a bit.

Seems I should stick to 10-20 kick, snares, hihats etc and then just have a few of a bunch of other stuff like (bass, bells, pads, strings, FX, leads, guitars, brass etc)

What are your thoughts on that and how many samples to you have sitting on your device?
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 kick,50 snare and clap, 50 hat and shaker, 50 perc(tom/conga/rim/cowbell etc), 50 cymbal and crash, 100 single cycle wave form most of them are made on the Electribe itself or I made on my computer.
I have 150 slot and 180 sec I believe.

I do often boom bap so I resample from vinyl, but I export to all sample only if I didn't finish something, once I'm done I export any long sample or resampled drums(internally or externally) with the pattern and then I delete from my loading kits.
When my folder looks messy with all these exported samples(of course I always rename in the Electribe accordingly) I go to my computer and simply make folder with the project/song name and put in my pattern file and my samples.

I keep doing this all the time so everytime I have my 250 drums+100 wave+180 sec ca.

Sometimes I override my drums kit because I make or find a nice drum hit. In the case I override a part I used on a project I simply don't care because if it was just my personal kit it will have filter,mod,amp,fx and mfx I can easily adjust accordingly or make it better, and to he honest everytime I'm done with something I use the rec events or whatever is called, so basically it record your performance and you can make your song on the fly or I record audio in my DAW. I simply save my samples and pattern too for an extreme recall which it won't never happen or sometimes just to pick up something I like by listening to tha song.

Also I don't really use kick just for kick, they can become hat, and hat can become kick....abuse pitch and modulation,you don't steal voice and you touch weird territory sometimes.
Or resample from vinyl,your phone(it's super easy with a 3.5jack sometimes I don't even load kit by sd), microphone.
Same applies to drum hit become melodic stuff.
I prefer single cycle waveform than pcm, I like patch my sounds(I have Monologue,Volca Keys,Bass and Beats) you can have fun 100 of them don't take a sec(make sure they're tune, use a tuner or your daw).
If you really like have pcm just sample when you need, if you just have a phone go anywhere source what you need and sample, you can follow the export single sample as I explained.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: