Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

User Scale Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WVought

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: User Scale Problem Reply with quote

I've defined a User Scale (User Octave Scale 00).

I've enabled it in the Kronos German Grand by going to the Common tab and then choosing Scale Type: User Octave Scale 00, and the desired key (in this case key of E).

I then play an E Major scale and it instead comes out sounding like my User Scale. So far so good.

But when I feed a MIDI loop in the key of E Major into Kronos (from Cubase), it comes out still sounding as E Major.

I don't have any MIDI filters etc set in Cubase that might constrain the MIDI to a certain scale or range.

Why isn't the MIDI loop sounding with the notes of my User Scale?

Thanks.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check these Global settings:

Basic > Osc/Timbre/Track Transpose

MIDI > Convert Position

Might have something to do with it.

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: User Scale Problem Reply with quote

WVought wrote:
I've defined a User Scale (User Octave Scale 00).

I've enabled it in the Kronos German Grand by going to the Common tab and then choosing Scale Type: User Octave Scale 00, and the desired key (in this case key of E).

I then play an E Major scale and it instead comes out sounding like my User Scale. So far so good.

But when I feed a MIDI loop in the key of E Major into Kronos (from Cubase), it comes out still sounding as E Major.

I don't have any MIDI filters etc set in Cubase that might constrain the MIDI to a certain scale or range.

Why isn't the MIDI loop sounding with the notes of my User Scale?

Thanks.

Have you tried a Karma pattern to see if the Karma midi pattern has the same problem?
I am not sure what is going on either, but my first thought would be maybe the User scale comes after the note input and then feeds back through the note mapped samples.
I would try an internal Karma pattern to see if it has the same response, just to get an idea of what normal behaviour is with User scales.

Global midi page has a “Convert position” setting that i never figured out,
i never needed it. But it comes to mind now. Parameter guide says it works over transpose, velocity curve and aftertouch curve.

There is a small mention of using “post midi” setting to shift scales to match transpose settings. But i am not sure if that applies to your problem.
Just something to look into for process of elimination.

Global mode Midi page section, Page 773 parameter guide. Excerpt below.

Convert Position [PreMIDI, PostMIDI]
This setting controls how the Transpose, Velocity Curve, and After Touch Curve settings work.
You can think of these as a group of MIDI effects processors, which can be used in one of two places within the KRONOS system.
Note: Regardless of the Convert Position, these settings always apply when playing internal sounds directly from the KRONOS keyboard.
PreMIDI is the default; it places the processors at the output of the KRONOS keyboard. This means that they affect both MIDI data transmitted by playing the keyboard, and data recorded from the keyboard into the internal sequencer. They do not affect either incoming MIDI data or data played back by the internal sequencer.
PostMIDI places the processors at the input to the KRONOS tone generation. This means that they affect both incoming MIDI data, and data played back by the internal sequencer. They do not affect either MIDI output or data recorded into the internal sequencer.
Use PostMIDI if you are using an external MIDI controller to play the KRONOS sounds, and want the KRONOS Transpose, Velocity Curve, and After Touch Curve settings to modify the external controller’s MIDI output.
PostMIDI also shifts Program, Combination, and Song Scales to match the Transpose setting—convenient for use with non-equal-tempered scales. See also “Osc/Timbre/Track Transpose” on page 754.
WVought

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now tried the Post MIDI and at the same time the Transposes Scale option, and it seems to be working. However, when I deselect them (iow go back to the way it was before) the MIDI I send from Cubase now adheres to my User Scale, which it wasn't doing before.

Go figure.

But I more or less understand the functions of those Parameters, which was not the case previously.

Thanks to both of you for your assistance.
WVought

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw Stephen, I have a studio full of high-priced toys, but I spend 80% of my production time on the Kronos. It's THAT good.

Always some happy accident waiting to happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: