Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Stop a Pattern's Tone & Volume From Changing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WVought

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: How to Stop a Pattern's Tone & Volume From Changing? Reply with quote

I have a 4-bar pattern being generated by Karma Module C of a Combi. The first 2 bars are fine, but bars 3 & 4 become much lower in volume, and the tone becomes dull.

I'd like to stop this from happening, and it seems like it might be an Envelope Generator (but what do I know?), but I spent a few hours unchecking (and rechecking) various boxes, to no avail.

Any clue as to why this is happening and how I can stop it?

Btw the Combi is STR-1 Ac. Gtr & Strings. I changed Module C to use GE 1140 Aggro Bass.

Thanks.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that combi, solo'd the timbre using Module C, and tried different sounds.

It's the Karma Module pattern that's affecting the volume and filter, because it's the same result no matter what different sound you try instead.

KARMA is above my pay grade.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that STR-1 Ac Guitar & String combi in a song of mine but it think i kept the Karma settings the same and changed out the guitars to layer in new ones for a sharper and louder guitar sound.

I would go to Karma tab and then enter the Midi filter CC offset page.
And then i would start disabling one by one, each option.
In a process of elimination to find if there is a midi message generated from in the GE.
It is a bit too complicated for me especially since i do not run karma software to have access to the inner workings of GE’s.
So i simply got to karma’s Midi filter and CC offset page, to start pecking at blacked out boxes to see if any tasty bugs come out for disappearing down my gullet.

As per your comment about it seeming like an envelope generator, there are three Envelope options in the transmit midi section of the midi filter page for Karma. So you may be right about the Envelope generator idea.
You have to go find out in the Midi filter and CC offset page of Karma.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are indeed two envelopes affecting the sound on this GE.

Go to the KARMA > GE RTP Scenes Page (7-5), Select Module C 17-32.
Set the Value for Slots 22 and 24 to 0, thereby turning off the two envelopes that are running. One is CC74 (Filter Cutoff), the other is CC 71 (Resonance).

Now there is no change to the sound over the course of the riff. However, these envelopes at various points were making the program brighter and more resonant, so you may need to tweak the program to sound brighter to your taste.

One way to do that is on the Tone Adjust page for the timbre you are using.

Another way is to go to the KARMA > MIDI Filter /CC Offsets page (7-2) and in the Module C column, enter CC74 and CC71 and adjust the Value up to taste.

WVought

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311: "KARMA is above my pay grade." LOL, I know the feeling, although I've learned a lot in the last year or so.

19naia: I had already unchecked all the KARMA Module C boxes on the MIDI Filter page, to no avail.

Stephen: Thanks for your input, and considering the source I'd say that's going to work. I'll be trying this tonight.

Thanks to all.
WVought

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I made those changes, after which the tone was no longer changing, but the volume was still lowering in the second half of the pattern.

Just to recap: I went to KARMA/GE RTP Scenes/Module C (Not Master C), then chose 17-32, and changed the values of parameters 22 and 24 to zero.

But I've apparently figured this out...

I previously (before my first post in this series) recorded the KARMA Module C pattern as MIDI in Cubase, then looked at which CCs were showing in Cubase's Key Editor. At that point I saw that CC71 and CC74 were present, and both sloped downward in the second half of the pattern. So I knew they were probably the culprits, but I didn't know where to look for them on the Kronos, i.e. what was causing them to be generated.

So after making the above changes I once again recorded the pattern as MIDI in Cubase, and then looked to see which CCs were present. What I found was that although CCs 71 & 74 were no longer present, the Velocity was lower in bars 3 & 4.

But now that I know where to look on the Kronos, I went to Parameters 1-16 rather than 17-32, and saw that only Parameter 4 had the word Velocity in its description. The Value was 2, so I changed it to 0, and voila!...no more volume change.

So now I just need to adjust the tone to my liking.

Thanks, Stephen. That's one more thing that actually makes sense to me. One down; a million to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: