Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos as Software Only?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WVought

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Kronos as Software Only? Reply with quote

This has probably been discussed previously, but is it technically possible for Korg to make a Kronos that is software only and that would be played by an external keyboard via MIDI?

By Kronos I mean software that would emulate/duplicate all (or nearly all) the functions of the hardware device...samples, programs, KARMA, etc.

And of course there would be a VST version.

I would buy such software in a heartbeat.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos as Software Only? Reply with quote

WVought wrote:
This has probably been discussed previously, but is it technically possible for Korg to make a Kronos that is software only and that would be played by an external keyboard via MIDI?

By Kronos I mean software that would emulate/duplicate all (or nearly all) the functions of the hardware device...samples, programs, KARMA, etc.

And of course there would be a VST version.

I would buy such software in a heartbeat.

That doesn't exist.
WVought

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it doesn't exist.

My question is "Can it be done?"
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WVought wrote:
I know it doesn't exist.

As all softwares, it has to be developped and requiers a team.

Perhaps in 15 or 20 years as it has been the case for the MS-20, or Polysix 20 years after in the Oasys !
Hector Space

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Software only Kronos Reply with quote

First impressions The design would need fairly major modification.
The display system and nearly all the Kronos IO is bespoke and handled by the subsystem processor PCB. So although the core operations of the Kronos are native pc board Linux/xxx86 32bit code compatible, much of the grunt is handled outside of this environment.
This means that Korg would need to invest in a new interface system that is every PC compatible and will run on Windows, Mac and maybe Linux.
It would be a pain to maintain because the pace of change or churn from massive companies like Microsoft and Apple means that Korg would have to commit much more resource to fixing the their software to continue to work on these platforms.
Whereas on the Kronos Korg have, to a large extent, managed to contain these external updates. Really it’ll be hardware obsolescence that stops the game.
It’s also true that the full Kronos would sit rather uncomfortably on a pc with a DAW because in many ways it is a DAW. So a VST Kronos doesn’t make sense.
In the end a software only Kronos doesn’t really add up. That’s probably why Korg have released soft synths instead.
WVought

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Hector. That makes sense.

But I can dream, can't I? Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
WVought wrote:
I know it doesn't exist.

As all softwares, it has to be developped and requiers a team.

Perhaps in 15 or 20 years as it has been the case for the MS-20, or Polysix 20 years after in the Oasys !

exactly. Software development costs tons o money. And will it sell ?

As we know, Kronos will never be a free app at the Apple App Store .
Smile
gminorcoles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg is already a software developer, see the whole range of IOS apps they sell.

Kronos is mostly software. Keyboard, screen, IO, these are all systems integration tasks. Kronos is already running on one PC, there is no particular reason it cannot run on any other PC.

It is definitely possible to wrap any of the existing sound engines as VST, unless it has been coded in an old terrible way ( I have written VSTs for linux and ARM, but I don't really know what Might be keeping the legacy code from being easily wrapped as a VST, but if I can do it maybe they can do it )

I built a cool little DIY linux multi synth which has several VSTs running on it, coordinated by a little GUI, it is very much a little Kronos, at least from far away. It even has a touch screen, which is anything from a 4-inch up to any capacitive touch screen you want - there is no reason you cannot use any hardware you like, and you can switch when a certain batch of SKUS stop being supported.

Again, if that rag tag group of DIY linux developers can do it, anyone can do it.

I think that there is a new team of developers who writes the IOS stuff, and maybe one or two old people like me who do bare maintenance on the old stuff, and then maybe they hire in people on a contract basis to implement one-offs like the Prologue?

If you had all the source code I would bet 1000 dollars / Euros that a group of two or three decent developers could port and maintain what constitutes the Kronos, on any linux machine, with a touch screen, and some daughter board for IO midi audio, this is no problem nowadays.

Hardware, I know very little about, but the Kronos is really and truly not, in its present form, constrained by hardware in any meaningful way.
gminorcoles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate sorry

Last edited by gminorcoles on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:13 am; edited 2 times in total
gminorcoles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate slow internet

Last edited by gminorcoles on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
gminorcoles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gminorcoles wrote:
Korg is already a software developer, see the whole range of IOS apps they sell.

also I don't mean to come off as a know it all - I am a software developer and I have watched VSTs eat this industry for good or ill, and it's my belief that Korg was actually well ahead of the curve here. Look at the legacy collection, it's many years old, and I already mentioned their new IOs stuff.

There is a reason that VST developers sprout like mushrooms, and that Arturia V collection has been essentially done for many years, and that Roland Cloud thing is circumstantial evidence that VSTs are very economical to develop, perhaps more than hardware synths.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when i got comfortable with the idea that Korg Kronos was the answer to the question about having a keyboard that was a made to work like it was a DAW with virtual synths and all.

That i would still need a keyboard controller with a DAW version, is reason enough i prefer a kronos hardware version that aspire to evolve to one day have the processing power to make it compete with Computer hardware and the type of DAW & virtual synths that computer power makes possible.

But they have already turned so many of their old synths into software versions, that it seems right in line that they eventually get to a Kronos software version.

Software or no software, i am still always going to need a key-board with good hammer actions and control surface. And Kronos does that already with its own software integrated onboard.
Maybe when kronos is outdated and replaced by a few generations of latest models, a software version would come and iPad would by then be powerful enough to run most software music tools.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gminorcoles wrote:

Kronos is mostly software. Keyboard, screen, IO, these are all systems integration tasks. Kronos is already running on one PC, there is no particular reason it cannot run on any other PC.

I respect your skill. We are talking Kronos not some IOS app.

Kronos has always been the sum of its parts, not the individual components.

Kronos, without its numerous controllers, dials, switches , LCD interface points Karma , intense sound programming , would not be attractive. Its that literal hands on that makes it satisfying and inspiring. And I didn't even touch on all the potential sound development of AL-1, Mod7. Open open open to more greatness.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the two could coexist. Even in the same room Very Happy
See Moog.
But it is also true that a real Moog is a paradise beside the VSTi instruments that try to be him !!! Laughing

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
gminorcoles wrote:

I respect your skill. We are talking Kronos not some IOS app.

If you look at Korgs products, they are are into 8 product segments, so they
wear multiple hats as a company. Looking at all the products, I see some software, but not mostly.

Kronos has always been the sum of its parts, not the individual components.

Kronos, without its numerous controllers, dials, switches , LCD interface points Karma , intense sound programming , would not be attractive. Its that literal hands on that makes it satisfying and inspiring. And I didn't even touch on all the potential sound development of AL-1, Mod7. Open open open to more greatness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: