Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Battery Reply with quote

Kinda surprised. Got my SE a month ago. Been playing it alot but was surprised to get a message saying the internal clock battery is low.

I guess I am not in a rush to replace it if all that means is the calendar is not right on my files. But if there are other issues that would occur would like to know.

Also, how easy is it to replace the battery? Didn't see anything in the manual re the type of battery or where it's located. Is this a fairly simple fix or should I be careful what I wish for?

Peter
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Reply with quote

Carbo wrote:
Kinda surprised. Got my SE a month ago. Been playing it alot but was surprised to get a message saying the internal clock battery is low.

I guess I am not in a rush to replace it if all that means is the calendar is not right on my files. But if there are other issues that would occur would like to know.

Also, how easy is it to replace the battery? Didn't see anything in the manual re the type of battery or where it's located. Is this a fairly simple fix or should I be careful what I wish for?

Peter

Like in computers, the battery powers tinny memory chip that is responsible for holding on motherboard's BIOS settings.
You NEED to replace it.
Anyway I am shocked that Korg recycles aged components.

See the pic where battery is located ( vertically ) -> https://www.asrockind.com/overview.asp?Model=IMB-140D%20Plus
Carbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea what type battery and how to get to it?
Carbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, when I pull the battery will I lose any settings??
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbo wrote:
any idea what type battery and how to get to it?

It's CR2032.
On youtube there are some clips how to open Kronos.
However the decision is up to you. Be aware that by doing so you might void the warranty!

Carbo wrote:
also, when I pull the battery will I lose any settings??

When a battery is death, motherboard's BIOS is reseted to default.
Carbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with BIOS. What types of things are affected. If it goes to default what are the likely changes one might lose as a typical user?
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbo wrote:
I'm not familiar with BIOS. What types of things are affected. If it goes to default what are the likely changes one might lose as a typical user?

I am not sure, because Kronos internals are unconventional, its I/O is mostly unused when compared to PCs.
If you worry about your Kronos GLOBALS, I think that they are loaded from a SSD disk, therefore replacing battery should have no effect.

BIOS is non-volatile firmware used to perform hardware initialization.
In Kronos BIOS has been replaced by UEFI ( successor to the legacy PC BIOS )

In short, don't worry about BIOS/UEFI. It is safe to replace a battery.
The only concern is voided warranty.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery powers the realtime clock, used for timestamping saved files, and not much else.
Hector Space

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Motherboard CMOS backup battery Reply with quote

The Kronos motherboard is a standard motherboard, more recent Kronos’s appear to use motherboards that are not fully populated (that is some components that are not required for the Kronos are left off the board).
The CMOS backup battery does several things. 1 as had been already explained, it keeps the real-time clock ticking so all date and time sensitive functions will work correctly. 2. It store setting for the system startup procedure and basic system input and output (BIOS). This includes the boards security features. And which chips to enable.. important if they’re not there!!
There are a couple of articles on the web by people who have customised their Kronos’s with faster motherboards. These describe the settings needed for the BIOS. So the Kronos operation requires the battery not just for the clock function.
But the bottom line is you should get the battery replaced under warranty. It should not have failed so soon, but the battery could be faulty and so could the motherboard (it maybe sinking too much current from the battery so it’s runout prematurely)
So I’d get your Korg dealer to organise a repair.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the phone here.

I am incredulous that the CR2032 battery failed in the SE.

It might be a simple matter of an ambiguous message from the OS in Kronos.

Go to DISK for a midi clock date. It might be set to 1999 or some ancient date.
Advance it to this decade, lets say 01/01/2019.

Before doing so google the forum for similar topics. They go way back, 2012, I recall.

You might find a post from Dan Phillips who clarified what to do.

Try that first

Last edited by GregC on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice. This morning I started it up and no message. No idea how or why. I went to Global as suggested but don't see a midi clock option. The system clock is set to internal. I then went back to Disc mode to Set Date and Time. Oddly, the year was set to 2014 so I reset that and did a full backup on my USB stick.

If someone can give me details how to check the midi clock I'd like to do that, otherwise I will hold off and just monitor the Disc date and time as well as any more popups I get. The SE is working great no glitches so I am reluctant to call in a warranty issue if this is something I can adjust.

Peter
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Go to global for a midi clock date. It might be set to 1999 or some ancient date.

It's the DISK Utility page, not GLOBAL.
Operational Guide page 218
Carbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. When I go to Disc mode and the Utility tab I then pull down the upper right menu where there is a Set Date and Time option. Is that what you are referencing?
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbo wrote:
Understood. When I go to Disc mode and the Utility tab I then pull down the upper right menu where there is a Set Date and Time option. Is that what you are referencing?

Yes.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
GregC wrote:
Go to global for a midi clock date. It might be set to 1999 or some ancient date.

It's the DISK Utility page, not GLOBAL.
Operational Guide page 218

very good catch, I also edited my post. You would think Korg would treat this as Global but whatever Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: