Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference on keys velocity using Roland JV-1010

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beauvais

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Difference on keys velocity using Roland JV-1010 Reply with quote

I have a Korg Pa1000 which I am very happy about but I also have a cheap Axiom MIDI keyboard and a Roland JV-1010 sound module.

Ome difference between the two is that the Roland has a distorted guitar, which I like.

When I am playing on the Axiom keyboard and I press hard on the keys then the guitar is nicely distorted.

Doing the exact same thing (connecting the JV-1010 to Pa1000) will not distort the guitar at all, no matter how hard I press the Korg keys.

I cannot find any settings that should be related to this but it sounds weird that a cheap MIDI keyboard can do this where a better equipped Korg cannot so is there a keyboard setting where I can tweak the MIDI keyboard velocity or alike? Smile
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference on keys velocity using Roland JV-1010 Reply with quote

Beauvais wrote:
.. Axiom MIDI keyboard and a Roland JV-1010 sound module. ... ... exact same thing (connecting the JV-1010 to Pa1000) will not distort the guitar at all, no matter how hard I press the Korg keys...

If with Pa1000 you send the same velocity and aftertouch values to JV1010 as you did with Audio-Axiom you also get the same result.

So with Pa1000 it is necessary programming and assign functions to velocity and aftertouch as described in manual (Page 811 ff) and activate aftertouch on each KeyboardTrack you want to use for playing JV1010-sounds.

Also with Pa1000 do not forget adjusting the velocity and aftertouch sensitivity (Global > Controllers > Hand page)

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Beauvais

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Korg I am in Sound mode and I have disabled Local Control in Global > Midi > General Controls as I only want to hear the sound from the JV-1010.

I can find the Global > Controllers > Hand and I have tried modifying both Velocity Curve and Aftertouch Curve but no matter what I choose then it does not make any difference in the sound, no matter how I press the keys?

I cannot find the "Sound Edit" as referred to in page 811 as I uassume this is when I am in Style play but there it does not play the sound from the JV-1010.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Pa1000 Midi-Out to JV1010-Midi-In Reply with quote

Beauvais wrote:
.. I have disabled Local Control in Global > Midi > General Controls as I only want to hear the sound from the JV-1010...

Dealing with Midi-Events and looking for transmission errors only is reliable if using a midi-monitor (like Midi-OX), necessary to control what messages Midi-units are sent and received.

If Pa1000 send same velocity and aftertouch values via MIDI like Axiom, any Midi-In-settings in the JV1010 are incorrect. If Pa1000 do not send same values like Axiom, any Midi-Out-settings in Pa1000 are incorrect.

So first it is to control what Data Pa1000 sends via Midi. Without midi monitoring that is not reliable, because you do not know what data are sent - therefore advising errors is pointless.

Looking like a blind man it is controlling if Velocity Curve is set to "fixed" or Aftertouch Curve is set to "off". Also maybe Midi messages are filtering out "MonoTouch" or Aftertouch Mono (Channel) is not set as described in Implementation Chart: *1: Sent and received when MIDI Filters In and Out are set to Off in Global mode.
If you used an Axiom (with velocity and aftertouch) it is a nonsense to set Pa1000 Local Control to off. How do you want to use control of your keyboards velocity and aftertouch for playing remotely a sound of JV1010?

Better use Internal/External parameter of Track Control > Mode page to connect the corresponding part/track (maybe Upper3) to the external JV1010. Also control if that part is set to full Velocity Range (0 - 127) in the Keyboard/Ensemble > Range/Velocity page.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: