Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Constant midi messages from Korg instruments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMavis

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Constant midi messages from Korg instruments Reply with quote

I get incoming midi messages registering on a Motu Midi Timepiece AV USB from all my Korg hardware, and only my Korg hardware. I have never been able to track down what these messages are and what they are for and if there is a way to stop them. Everything works ok, but they make it confusing because they always light up their ports.

Anybody have any idea? Happens for M3, Radias and Electribe MX.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Korg keyboards will, by default, use an internal MIDI clock and these signals are also passed to MIDI Out, at something like 24 pulses per quarter note, allowing other devices to be synced to the keyboard's MIDI clock, which is driven by the Tempo setting. It is possible to stop these data going to MIDI out, e.g. on the M3 by going to the MIDI menu, MIDI Basic, and selecting External for the MIDI Clock. The Tempo LED will stop blinking, and the M3's Karma and Drum Track won't sound without an external MIDI Clock via the MIDI In port.

TagPass

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is likely MIDI “Active Sensing”. Most Korg and Roland keyboards have this enabled by default, although in some of the Rolands, you can disable it from the global menu.

I have the same issue with my OASYS. The only way to keep the interface from lighting up with all the extraneous MIDI activity is to filter it. I now use a mio10 as my interface, so I can suppress Active Sensing activity. But back when I used the MOTU micro lite, there was no way to do this. Don’t know if the Timepiece has the filtering capability you need.
TMavis

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Most Korg keyboards will, by default, use an internal MIDI clock and these signals are also passed to MIDI Out, at something like 24 pulses per quarter note, allowing other devices to be synced to the keyboard's MIDI clock, which is driven by the Tempo setting. It is possible to stop these data going to MIDI out, e.g. on the M3 by going to the MIDI menu, MIDI Basic, and selecting External for the MIDI Clock. The Tempo LED will stop blinking, and the M3's Karma and Drum Track won't sound without an external MIDI Clock via the MIDI In port.

Much appreciate the reply. I am familiar with real time messages when clock is being sent. But it is not real time messages. Real time messages turn the Motu Midi Timepiece lights a solid soft amber color. When I turn off clock the Motu lights for the port also reflect the change. But I still get a signal on the incoming port that makes the Motu light on the incoming port blink like 2 times a second approximately. That is the messages I can not figure out. Of all my midi devices Korg is the only ones that cause this behavior and I've been unable to track it down after all these years?
TMavis

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TagPass wrote:
It is likely MIDI “Active Sensing”. Most Korg and Roland keyboards have this enabled by default, although in some of the Rolands, you can disable it from the global menu.

I have the same issue with my OASYS. The only way to keep the interface from lighting up with all the extraneous MIDI activity is to filter it. I now use a mio10 as my interface, so I can suppress Active Sensing activity. But back when I used the MOTU micro lite, there was no way to do this. Don’t know if the Timepiece has the filtering capability you need.

Yes, that's what I thought in the past when trying to isolate the messages. However, I can filter incoming active sensing signals on the Motu, however it has no effect on the ports from continuing to blink. I also use Midi Monitor on Mac to monitor messages to see what they are but nothing registers even though it does have a filter section for active sense messages. But perhaps you are correct about it being active sensing and I just am confused about how the filtering should affect the blinking on the incoming ports. I guess it's no big deal. The only thing is when routing things I often look at the lights on the Motu Midi Timepiece to see what's going on and all three Kord devices constantly have blinking lights making it not as clean and easy to see what's what.
TMavis

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I can confirm it is active sensing. Midi Monitor does not show any messages which is weird. I can filter it out except there is no way to stop the light for the corresponding in port from blinking it's receiving a message. And As far as I can tell there is no way to stop the Korgs from sending active sensing messages.

So, it is what it is. At least I know for sure what it is and there is nothing I can do about it on the in port.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: