Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sound quality of 3.0.1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: The sound quality of 3.0.1 Reply with quote

So , this is a question for ANTONY SHERMMAN i think Smile

Is the sound qualty better on this os or is it just rumors?

Some Forums are talking about the sound quality, and many says that the Sound is much better now on 3.1
If so, What did Korg to make that sound better?

If you ask me it,s same sound!

Thanks for any info.

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Asena
This is a very subjective question.

If you can compare using exactly the same sound gear/phones, EQ and FX (DSP) then maybe (just maybe) you might detect some differences.
Personally I think the sounds have "improved" since its inception but whether specific to V2 or V3 I couldn't say as I never had the two side by side to compare.

I think overall the PA4X sounds are outstanding and improved very much from previous models.
I have still yet to find any acceptable acoustic drums from any keyboard but have to say that, at last, Korg's drums are now pretty cool since PA4X.
The Tonewheel sound has improved since OS V2 (I think) - I'm certainly happier with it.

I will be playing my PA4X through my friend's sound system in his recording studio very soon and have the opportunity to compare Nord Stage 3, Hammond xk3c, Roland, Moog and more at the same time. His speakers alone cost $20,000 so the gear can't get much better - I will report back.

As an aside, the PA4X-NEXT-OS-V3 is so so very different to the original PA4X out of the box - it's a different keyboard!!!
Also, I have to say that its sounds are on a par with my Kronos and exceed it in terms of sound behaviour-modelling thanks to DNC etc....

So, my answer to your question is just "possibly" - I would be interested to have the 2 OS versions side-by-side to compare.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: pa4 Reply with quote

compare using exactly the same sound gear/phones, EQ and FX (DSP) then maybe (just maybe)
if OS/2 has the same samples as OS 3 I would think they sound the same they could have cleaned up the circuits but it's still the same sample.. If you listen to the electric pianos there are thousands of them so cord could give your new piano and it would sound different from any other one just by changing the envelope some amp.. They said they fixed timing on portmanteau again tough to tell.. Keyboards always sound new and fresh with a new set of patches or sounds.. And I think the PA4 is not much difference from OS 1,, it does all the same things. Nothing new in the vocal harmonizer nothing new in the sequencer and nothing new in the style play mode. In the style play mode yes you can record a set of cords and having playback but that's not groundbreaking great news.. But what korg did do is make the display a little different they did give us a copy keyboards that function but back to the original question doesn't sound better don't know when I put my PA 1000 and my PA4 side-by-side and you look at this sampling charts the keyboards sound identical except the grand piano the PA4 uses six samples the PA 1000 uses three but again extremely hard to hear the difference.. We'll just have to wait and see what Pete comes up with in the studio..
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The sound quality of 3.1 Reply with quote

Asena wrote:
So , this is a question for ANTONY SHARMMAN i think Smile
Is the sound qualty better on this os or is it just rumors?
Some Forums are talking about the sound quality, and many says that the Sound is much better now on 3.1

Same hardware has always the same electric behavior so OS can't alter Specs !
The same bare sample will be heard exactly the same in any Pa4X/Pa1000/Pa700 using the same 24b DAC that all above share.
Only Pa4X OS2 actually added some more factory samples (not OS3) , so some new sounds like Italian Grand are new compared to OS1.
What could make an audible difference in Pa4X OS 3 ?
- Newly developed Sounds/KBD Set , using the same factory samples
- Improved FX in programming level ( I have not noticed it yet)
- Improved Styles in midi data that are using newer OS2 Sound library
- Improved Drawbars interface , using again the same OS2 factory samples
- User samples compressed or not , will be heard identical in any Pa4X OS

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Snoopy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

the same samples, but maybe different FX-settings, so the sound may be different ("better" is very subjective ).

And, PLEASE, don´t write "3.1" in headlines, the current version is 3.0.1 Smile

PA4X MUSIKANT, OS 3.1.0, PKG-Version
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone checked whether the default values for the Maxx presets have changed? I would think a change in values here might be the simplest thing to give an impression of change in the overall ‘sound’. Reworking enough samples to make a noticeable change seems like a lot of work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: