Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing some hunting, trying to figure this sound out:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Doing some hunting, trying to figure this sound out: Reply with quote

I've been working on recreating some sounds and in doing some investigation, I've found this sound which is apparently from the Korg Trinity.

https://soundcloud.com/user-751872329/trinity-bighitopen

I've found this specific sound on both Poison (Alice Cooper) as well as Dream Theater (Lines in the Sand) and while I know Derek Sherinian used the Korg Trinity and Triton in both of those bands, it definitely has that Korg-FX characteristic.

The problem I'm having in remaking the sound isn't the majority of the sound so much as it is that initial attack. I thought it was a noise-based filter sweep, but I can't even get it close (I'm using the Korg Kronos to replicate the sound)

I went as far as downloading the preload for the Oasys, the Triton presets that were remade for the Korg Kronos... But nothing sounds even close.

I'm reaching out to you Korg Trinity owners to see if this sound seems familiar in any way - I'm not sure if it's a preset, but in the case that it was used in both Poison and Dream Theater and it's not because Derek Sherinian made the sound for both bands, then this leads me to believe it's a sound that came with the machine or in some popular download.

I'm open to suggestions, I wanted to get a hold of a Trinity myself to see if I could get things figured out using it's own internal samples/ROM in case it's something specific in there, but wanted to see if anyone who has pretty intimate knowledge of the Trinity might be able to push me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos Program: "EvilDispersionSyn" bears some resemblance to the initial part of the sound. It might be useful as a starting point.

enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Kronos Program: "EvilDispersionSyn" bears some resemblance to the initial part of the sound. It might be useful as a starting point.

Thanks voip.

I checked it out, but that's not what I was looking for. Funny enough, I actually just reached out to Derek Sherinian directly about the sound - He said he sampled the opening sound directly from Poison (The isolated keyboard track) to get the sound.

So that means that it likely wasn't a Trinity, but something else that was used so my journey continues. I have managed to get something quite close, but now it's more out of curiosity what that sound actually is once you take the effects away.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropping a line to Alice Cooper might get the answer ;-) Nope, ignore that. It was Derek Sherinian that was on keyboards during the "Poison" era. Different performances of Poison have quite a different character to the sound. Certainly sustained, distorted guitar seems to be making a significant contribution on some versions, and the initial "hit" might even come partly from the drum kit.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using the 2-Voice Resonator effect (size 2 effect #25).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: