Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequencing external synths,key split and layers question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diddlydan

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Sequencing external synths,key split and layers question Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am considering picking up a krome to do a number of things for live performance with a band.I'm not sure if the krome can these things, so I am looking for some confirmation.Bit of a long one this,so bare with me.I have never used a workstation before,so some of these questions may seem silly to some but here goes....

1.I have a few hardware analog synths that i am looking to sequence from the krome.At the moment i am using ableton to send midi to these synths and play an entire track from start to finish.A drummer plays to a click and the rest of the band including myself play along.Midi plays some synth parts,so theres no need for a 10 piece band etc.Fairly standard stuff.Im pretty sure any workstation can send midi to external synths,once you assign a midi part in the sequencer section of the krome, to whatever midi channel each synth is set to?I will be using ableton to sequence everything so the krome would be used as a back up,just in case theres an issue with a laptop etc.Is this possible?

2.Can the keyboard on the krome be split across multiple midi channels to play different synths?For example, say i want to play a bass line on an external synth on midi channel 1,a pad on an external synth on midi channel 2 and say a piano from the krome.Can i split the keyboard in to multiple sections,so the first octave plays the the first synth on midi channel 1,the next octave plays the pads on midi channel 2 and the next octave plays the kromes piano?

3.Is it possible to have multiple synths from the krome playing at once?For example can i program a pad,a bass synth and a lead synth and have them all play back at once? Or if the synth engine is used on one sound is it only possible to layer a different sound over this,like a piano or drum sound?Once the synth engine is used,its used or can you use it multiple times and have 16 synths parts playing when sequencing a song?

4.Does the krome play back audio samples?If i want to import some recorded audio is there a way to play it back when the song is playing?Say on bar 20 i want an audio sample to play,is it possible to drop the sample in at this point?I know the kross 2 can play back samples.Is this only possible on the kross 2?

5.Can tempo's speed up/slow down when sequencing.I have a few songs that speed up in sections by a few bpm over time.Is is possible to write this in to the krome?I have midi files already written out with tempo maps in ableton.Can i just import these in to the krome?Also can it send CC messages and program changes to external synths?

6.Does the krome have mellotron style patches,like strings and choirs etc?Pretty sure it does but ill ask anyway

Thats it.Pretty long,but if anyone can answer even some of these questions it would be much appreciated.Ive never used a workstation so want to be sure it does everything i need before i pick one up.

Thanks in advance.Cheers
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes. It will do MIDI playback of entire songs on 16 channels including automation. In fact, it can even record the MIDI inbound and then replay it outbound.

2. I've never done this, but everything leads me to believe that the answer is "yes".

3. You can layer instruments, yes.

4. The Krome does nothing audio. If you want to play audio, get a Kross, or use the Krome to trigger a sampler.

5. Yes. (Record tempo changes in the master track.)

6. Pretty sure it does. It certainly has strings and choirs.

Aside from the audio sample playback thing, the Krome will do everything you asked, if I understand your questions correctly.
diddlydan

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.Thanks for taking the time to reply.Can anyone else confirm if the krome can split the keyboard over multiple midi channels?Just want to be 100% certain.How much better is the krome compared to the kross 2?Audio playback isnt essential by any means,but having it there as an option isnt a bad thing.Basically the workstation itself is really only to provide some extra sounds used on occasion,like piano's and mellotron and an extra synth part or 2.Just to take the load off a laptop and to have no latency on theose extra instrument sounds.Is the krome a lot more powerful synth wise and are the piano and string sounds considerably better?Cheers
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kross 1, and the Krome.

The Krome is substantially more powerful, in terms of having more velocity layering per patch, more powerful and varied effect options, and thus generally having what you might call a better overall sound engine.

I think that the Krome is a great option as a sound board, and I use it as such myself. In fact, I have a gig this Friday in which I intend to use it exactly as that.

That said, there's nothing major wrong with the Kross on that front either, and the Kross 1 isn't that different from the Kross 2 in that respect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: