Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berhinger Odyssey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RKfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Berhinger Odyssey Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tphoF3x1eiI

Shipping is starting
RKfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: £399 UK price for the Behringer Odyssey Reply with quote

https://www.andertons.co.uk/search?categoryId=&storeId=10151&catalogId=3074457345616676668&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=24&searchTerm=odyssey&authToken=-1002%252CXZvf36sLiPiYegUJrwTEpYgBzE92SYyViFqNTYY0v8k%253D&#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

Oh and it costs £399
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a price of €432 (Thomann) I think it's game over for KORG's version.
On top of that you also get a good FX processor thrown in with the Behringer Odyssey.

KORG, Roland and Yamaha should focus on doing what they are good at: making new synths.
Trying to compete with Behringer is a waste of time and effort.
Behringer is in touch with the market and he has a large structure of in-house production at his disposal.

If they do want to come up with re-creations of past synthesizers maybe they should consider doing limited production runs of synths where the design is still under copyright.
Timing is everything and some synths appeared on the scene at an inopportune time.
I noticed that more and more musicians are re-evaluating synths of the past two decades which have been discontinued, discovering that they are 'actually quite good'.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every piece of Behringer gear I have owned has been absolute rubbish. Yes, he used his vast piles of cash to buy some legacy companies like Midas and Klark-Technik, and they still design good gear. But one of the issues with Behringer is (beyond the fact they steal other people's designs), they manufacture a lot of their own components such as switches. Other components they use are of the lowest possible quality to meet price constraints.

I am pleased to have gotten rid of every last piece of Behringer equipment from my house. One of the lowest companies I have ever come across.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to 47,499 actual customers who bought their gear from Thomann, Behringer rank the second best manufacture in the world for customer / end user satisfaction.

Regards
Sharp.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And McDonalds, Starbucks, KFC and Burger King are the most popular fast food joints. Doesn't make it good food.

We have been conditioned to make value judgements on price alone.

How do Thomann collect their statistics? Do they do long-term longitudinal studies, or just reviews three days after the item has been received?

There will be a lot of customer's whose only musical purchases will be from Behringer.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Every piece of Behringer gear I have owned has been absolute rubbish.

That's sad.
My good musician friend hates Behringer although he buys their products - he removes/hides the "Behringer" brand name from the audience!!!!!

Personally, I have had, and still own Behringer gear - not had any problems - fabulous value for money so far.
This all seems similar to the attitude by many towards Casio.

Oh well, each to his own I guess....

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I like Casio stuff. I've certainly found it more reliable than the Behringer gear I have owned. And they design their own stuff!

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And McDonalds, Starbucks, KFC and Burger King are the most popular fast food joints. Doesn't make it good food.

Lets break it down.

Do they supply exactly what you order to a standard you expect to receive consistently? Is customer satisfaction high and in turn are they successful. I'd say yes, they do. Freedom of choice is still mine though and it's always good to look at all options.

Behringer takes this much further by eliminating the third party suppler and manufacturing their own components. This solves Quality, Supply and Cost issues making them difficult for others to complete against.

Their abilities also expand greatly as they buy out other respected company's and make their innovation their own.

Quote:
We have been conditioned to make value judgements on price alone.

Probably why Apple hopes to sell a monitor stand for $1000.

Quote:
How do Thomann collect their statistics? Do they do long-term longitudinal studies, or just reviews three days after the item has been received?

The specific figure I mentioned is totally based on actual customers ratings between 1991 to 2019. First place went to Yamaha. Thomann is is a monster sized supplier, so I'd consider their figures pretty solid.

Quote:
There will be a lot of customer's whose only musical purchases will be from Behringer.

Maybe, but I would think most people have all sorts of different toys from different manufactures. The only Behringer items I have are a pair of monitors, a mixer, a signal processor and a Audio Interface. Everything else I own comes from NI, KORG, Yamaha, AKAI, Roland, Studio Master and Celestion.

Whatever way all this pans out, I think competition is good and given the fact that Behringer are popular with great customer's satisfaction, it's a brand simply worth considering.

Regards
Sharp.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 to Sharp

I use a Behringer Model D besides my Moogs - with big satisfaction. The sound is very close to the original Model Ds, and I've had no issues whatsoever until now. Of course it is no full grown model D concerning haptic and perhaps longevity, but it still does everything I could hope for at a price of 300€.

In sharp contrast to this experience it is Korg, whose low quality management and suppport level has left me speechless lately.

My Korg Prologue 16 buy (1600€ back then) was an odyssey (no pun intended) through 5, all not properly working devices, and I now use the sixth one of all those I bought and replaced, or tested in the store:

- ALL of them had the tuning desaster, until Korg finally, after nearly a year of silence and continuing to sell faulty units without even acknowledging the issue (!), fixed it by update
- one of the devices I had bought and had to replace worked about 1 hour, and when I switched it on for the second time, showed zero reaction: it had to be returned the next day, because the power circuit simply had failed
- the Prologue I own now finally was in tune, just to change modwheel values arbitrarly without me even touching the modwheel. Once more I had to send it in to have the modwheel circuit replaced.
- at the moment I refuse to update to the latest Prologue OS (which doesn't offer much progress anyways), because several other users experienced a complete freeze of their Prologues during this update.
- one of them wanted to have that fixed at a local Korg approved store/technical support. It turned out that was not possible: they told him the only way to fix the frozen Prologue was a complete motherboard replacement, and he should expect to be without his Prologue for about two months.

Behringer had more quality issues in former times, but my impression is that they are steadily gaining ground concerning reliable quality, despite mass production at the lower price end.

I can't say the same of Korg Japan, and that not just due to my own weird experiences lately, but also due to what other musicians I know have experienced in the last few years. My impression from the actual younger Korg Japan management is, that they are cost cutting without proper quality control and proportion, and that this tendency gets even worse by showing themselves as quite ignorant in communicating with their customers in proper ways. The local support here in Germany always did a good job so far, but without Korg Japan doing their own job properly, this doesn't really help.

Like Sharp, I have been a very satisfied Korg user for many years. I am no longer now, and I couldn't diasgree more, if someone seriously proposes they are actually a lot ahead of Behringer, concerning quality and user satifaction: they are NOT anymore at the moment, and they could easily even fall behind in the future, if they go on like that and ignore this kind of warning from former loyal customers. I hope Korg gets back on track again...

Oh yes, and since Korg showed me ZERO loyalty for many months after my Prologue buy, they lost my customer loyalty in turn and would have to regain it step by step. So I am looking forward with big interest at a Behringer Oddy, which not only costs much less than the Korg Oddy, but is even slightly more close to the gritty original sound in my ears, plus offering more on board value.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/iPxtKMZpOhM
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
https://youtu.be/iPxtKMZpOhM

Yeah, that kind of demo with inspired musical content definitely makes you warm up to the synth, great demo.

For me the inclusion of an FX processor is a big bonus since I consider it to be an integral part of creating the sound you want.
Pity there's no patch memory, for live usage this definitely makes life a lot easier.

Still, a great sounding synth in a metal chassis at that price is something I find hard to resist.
The Behringer haters may say what they want, but for many years the other big companies have turned a deaf ear to people practically begging for analog recreations, and if they did listen they somehow managed to add a crappy minikey keybed or something similar.

Behringer actually listens, asks for input, acts on the inputs he receives, and delivers the goods.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of Behringer products in my studio, mainly mixers and a headphone distribution amp (AMP-800). They seem to work fine an have never given me any problems. They do what they are designed to do.

It is true that Behringer had quality issues on their earlier gear, but stuff in the last 5 years or so is pretty solid.

Maybe they developed a stigma in their name due to their older stuff but their new offerings are quite good.

I am personally excited about their synths. I have a lot of Korg in my studio and will be adding another Korg in the near future (another PA700). I am also going to add a Behringer Deepmind-12 and a few Behringer Model D units to my studio setup.

They really are doing great things...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Many years ago (early 90's) when I was a musical gear seller, we sold Behringer gear which was considered as lowcost for people who didn't get money. The most sold was a low cost stero compressor. It did the job. But at that time, I wouldn't have bought this brand.

But nowadays, things are largely different.

First I've bought a Moog Grandmother in order to add a pure analog sound to my Kronos. Then, I've bought a Behringer Neutron, not for its sounds but for adding modulations possibilities to the Moog (enveloppes, LFOS, and so on).

And I must say I was positively impressed by the sound capacities, versatily and quality of this little synth.
I've completed my set with a very good soundcard I would advise to anyone.

Saying Behringer is a "rubbish" brand, as I red above, is a complete nonsense. Just listen to that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOWA5R9LYXY, and tell us if it's a so rubbish stuff !

One more thing : concerning the Behringer Odyssey, it must not be compared with the 799 € Korg Odyssey, wich is a micro-keys, but with the full size keys version : 1,299 € ! Three time more expensive !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: