Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First mid-song failure in 5 years, should I be concerned?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
holdsg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: First mid-song failure in 5 years, should I be concerned? Reply with quote

Hello Korg Forumites.
Been so happy playing my K2 76 for at least 5 years now (maybe more, I lost track of time).

Last night, mid-song, mid-gig, I get a shutdown-black screen of death with some message about power cycling.

Anyone else encounter this?

Did it get too hot? (was an outside gig, at maybe 90 degrees, but never in direct sunlight, and was 8pm or so when it happened, well after sundown).

Was it a power quality issue?

Fortunately it was the last song of a set, and upon reboot it was back to normal, but should I be concerned about this?

Any advice is helpful, thanks.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: First mid-song failure in 5 years, should I be concerned Reply with quote

holdsg wrote:
Hello Korg Forumites.
Been so happy playing my K2 76 for at least 5 years now (maybe more, I lost track of time).

Last night, mid-song, mid-gig, I get a shutdown-black screen of death with some message about power cycling.

Did it get too hot? (was an outside gig, at maybe 90 degrees, but never in direct sunlight, and was 8pm or so when it happened, well after sundown).

Was it a power quality issue?

Fortunately it was the last song of a set, and upon reboot it was back to normal, but should I be concerned about this?

Any advice is helpful, thanks.

lots of advice but expectation first.

Since you gig regularly with your K, and you perform in the heat, yes, you have to 'plan ' on intermittent failure.

Some are preventable, like having a UPS- I would think you should have that
holdsg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a UPS unit, but I was not using it last night.
Maybe that's all it will take to make me bring it every time.
Purgatory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

power quality issue, nothing to worry about if it's that random and no ups at a gig.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsg wrote:
I do have a UPS unit, but I was not using it last night.
Maybe that's all it will take to make me bring it every time.

power/voltage has to be consistent with your 5 yr old K

If you are competing with a guitar plater with 4 two hundred watt Marshall amps and huge A/con power unit, that may have tipped the power on you.

UPS
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First mid-song failure in 5 years, should I be concerned Reply with quote

holdsg wrote:

Um, everyone, I think.

In my case, it happens at random. (Power fluctuation, I guess.) Months can go by without incident, then it happens. I have the Kronos X.

I usually recommend having a backup keyboard at a gig. Something light, basic, and cheap.
holdsg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one.
I guess I've been lucky thus far. I am committed to using the UPS from now on.

I knew I could get a quick answer from you fine folks. THANKS!
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the previous suggestions. I always use a UPS, and since I started using one I’ve never seen that ugly message. (I did before using one) The good news is, I found one for less than $100 USD. Just do a search online for computer gadgets and you’ll find a lot of products to choose from.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
I totally agree with the previous suggestions. I always use a UPS, and since I started using one I’ve never seen that ugly message. (I did before using one) The good news is, I found one for less than $100 USD. Just do a search online for computer gadgets and you’ll find a lot of products to choose from.

To clarify and IMO.

A UPS is practically a requirement if you gig.

For us Home studio types, some of us can skate without using a UPS. While I have a UPS, it sits in my garage storage cabinet. If I experienced sudden shut downs, at home, I would def use it.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year ago I did an outdoor gig in Florida. My Kronos started acting sluggish and weird halfway into the afternoon set. At one point, it let out a loud shriek then died. I left it powered off, certain that I just lost out on a couple grand and hours of work on combis and programming.

Luckily, it worked normally the next day, and ever since thereafter.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
At one point, it let out a loud shriek then died. I left it powered off, certain that I just lost out on a couple grand and hours of work on combis and programming.

I have heard that shriek both from the OASYS and the Kronos. Very rarely with the OASYS, but it happened about 3 times, since 2005. About 10 years ago, it made that sound when the X-stand it was sitting on collapsed. Thankfully it is built like a tank and I still use it regularly.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the UPS (the best advice I got from this forum before purchasing my Kronos). So far I have never had a power problem.

Also a means to keep going in the event of failure is a must (spare keyboard or a means of using what you have left to get through a gig)

I have two boards, all nicely integrated with a PC. In both keyboards I have a bank of emergency patches (Piano, Organ, Electric Pianos, various synth sounds, Strings) that would allow me to keep playing something on on of them, should the other fail - or some other key component has gone down.

Fortunately things are very reliable these days, but.....

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
psionic311 wrote:
At one point, it let out a loud shriek then died. I left it powered off, certain that I just lost out on a couple grand and hours of work on combis and programming.

I have heard that shriek both from the OASYS and the Kronos. .

Those shrieks of loss have been heard. Its easy to get lost in programming/song parts/multiple takes when recording. I have to stop myself every hour to do a save to SSD. when I have a lock up, its typically a midi conflict.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
I have heard that shriek both from the OASYS and the Kronos. Very rarely with the OASYS, but it happened about 3 times, since 2005. About 10 years ago, it made that sound when the X-stand it was sitting on collapsed. Thankfully it is built like a tank and I still use it regularly.

That one shriek was enough, scary sound. Even though I swore at the time never to do an outdoor gig again, I did have a few, but the stage was covered and they were in the evenings anyway.

Talking about X-stands -- arghh, I hate using them, so shaky and flimsy, no good for multiple tiers, and no room for foot pedals. Give me a solid Z stand or my trusty Baby Spider and I'm golden.

Did you ever see that video of a guy performing with an X-stand, and it collapses mid-song, but then he had the wits and reaction time to actually catch his keyboard before it hit the ground? Ha, he carried it like a keytar the rest of the song... classic save!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
+1 on the UPS (the best advice I got from this forum before purchasing my Kronos). So far I have never had a power problem.

Also a means to keep going in the event of failure is a must (spare keyboard or a means of using what you have left to get through a gig)

I have two boards, all nicely integrated with a PC. In both keyboards I have a bank of emergency patches (Piano, Organ, Electric Pianos, various synth sounds, Strings) that would allow me to keep playing something on on of them, should the other fail - or some other key component has gone down.

Fortunately things are very reliable these days, but.....

+2 on getting a UPS... even a lightweight $40 UPS from Wal-Mart works... it's nice when power goes out temporarily, but you're still making sounds thanks to that power conditioning battery backup.

Having 2 boards is nice... I use the 2nd more as extra real estate for sprawling combis, and for bass and analog duties.

But having a backup plan is always a good idea. In my case it's an Integra, with Studio Sets that match my combis sound for sound... I like layering, but the Roland and 2nd board should work in a pinch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: