Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I use the Common Step Sequencer to effect pitch in CX3?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeskeys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Can I use the Common Step Sequencer to effect pitch in CX3? Reply with quote

Just another thing I haven't figured out yet....
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you want to do is go to whatever parameter you want to affect. (CX3 pitch in this case)

Then look near it -- Does that parameter have an option for AMS? If it does, then yes you can use the Step Sequencer or any other mod source on it. Just click on the AMS dropdown menu and choose your poison.

(Today is my no-Kronos day. I've made a self-imposed rule to not use my Kronos at least one day a week so that I don't neglect my other gear and musical goals. So I can't directly tell you if the pitch in the CX3 engine can be modulated by AMS. My guess is probably not.)

You can always try KARMA -- choose an ARP model, then go to the Control Surface for KARMA and move the sliders until you find something you like.

If you're looking to get that Baba O'Riley sound, it's already been done as well. HTH
yeskeys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Today is my no-Kronos day.

How the hell do you do that?! I love the complexity and depth, and of course the sound obviously, of this keyboard. I have a programming background both professionally and musically, and I intend to learn every detail about how this thing works. It helps that I got the original Karma, and the M3 as well when they first came out.

Alas - there are no options for using AMS for the pitch on the CX3. I did however get my rotary programmed to switch at periodic intervals using the Common Step Sequencer. Not sure why there are some of the limitations between the different engines...

Thanks again for your assistance.
Eric
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:
psionic311 wrote:
Today is my no-Kronos day.

How the hell do you do that?! I love the complexity and depth, and of course the sound obviously, of this keyboard. I have a programming background both professionally and musically, and I intend to learn every detail about how this thing works. It helps that I got the original Karma, and the M3 as well when they first came out.

Yep, I love the depth and breadth of the Kronos as well. Maybe too much! Beer

I'm no longer gigging with my Kronos, so my journey has shifted from creating cover combis to just exploring engines. I just spent the last week finally understanding KARMA, thanks to Hardsync's WIKI articles. Besides a DW-8000, I've never had any other Korg product, so it's a major accomplishment to crack the KARMA nut wide open.

For about a month now I've been plumbing the depths of MOD7 and Wavesequencing. Korg could really have a hit if they made a dedicated physical FM synth with just MOD7 alone (esp with analog filters!). I think it's one of the most powerful and flexible out there, even compared to the FS1r or any FM softsynths like FL Sytrus or Serum. I've made some great FM growl basses, even though I had no idea what they were only 2 weeks ago. You can of course use linked dual BP filters for formants, but FM can get even more pronounced "talking" sounds. Who knew?

But the problem with too much of all this greatness is that other things get set aside. My "no-Kronos" day makes sure I don't get tunnel vision and that my time doesn't get monopolized by the awesome K.

Welcome aboard the Kronos ship... sounds like this isn't your first rodeo!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
I just spent the last week finally understanding KARMA, thanks to Hardsync's WIKI articles.

To be fair, I didn't contribute very much to the wiki -- a few minor edits here and there, and a tutorial on the Note Series parameter. The vast majority of edits and contributions were done by ShannonG, Stephen Kay and a few others. It is a great resource though.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, props to Shannon and of course Stephen. Applause

I've still got a few more pages in the Parameter Guide yet, and a few random things here and there. Then I intend to comb over most of the KARMA performances already in the Kronos. Hopefully then I'll be able to tame KARMA from overwhelming fancy stuff to a few powerful, practical uses.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use the Common Step Sequencer to effect pitch in C Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:

No, pitch can't be modulated by an AMS source in CX-3 engine.

But if you want to use a kind of sequence with a CX-3 sound, you can do it by creating first a pattern in SEQ mode, then convert it into a Drum Track Pattern and then use it in you Prog, in Drum Track with a CX-3 sound. That way, you can even use 2 others sounds (in OSC1 and OSC 2).
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use the Common Step Sequencer to effect pitch in C Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
yeskeys wrote:

But if you want to use a kind of sequence with a CX-3 sound, you can do it by creating first a pattern in SEQ mode, then convert it into a Drum Track Pattern and then use it in you Prog, in Drum Track with a CX-3 sound. That way, you can even use 2 others sounds (in OSC1 and OSC 2).

Another great workaround. Use the Drum track, but instead choosing a drumkit, choose a CX3 engine.

And it even looks like you can mix and match HD1 with EXI programs. EXI1, EXI2, and the DrumKit can independently have different key zones. So basically you can make a 3 timbre mini-combi in Program Mode!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use the Common Step Sequencer to effect pitch in C Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
yeskeys wrote:

Another great workaround. Use the Drum track, but instead choosing a drumkit, choose a CX3 engine.

And it even looks like you can mix and match HD1 with EXI programs. EXI1, EXI2, and the DrumKit can independently have different key zones. So basically you can make a 3 timbre mini-combi in Program Mode!

Yes, except that you can't play a sound directly in the Drumtrack, but only through a pattern. But righlty, we can get three sound sources in Prog Mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: