Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PEDAL STEEL GUITAR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: PEDAL STEEL GUITAR Reply with quote

I hear so many good country songs, however, trying to emulate a Pedal Steel Guitar, my attempts are pretty dismal. Can you advise on some settings for me? FX etc.

Thanks,
Jim
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a free set I made. It uses factory sounds so no Ram is used.
Use Assignable 1 and 2 for effects.

###EDIT## I gave the wrong link ealier.

This one with a single but much more realistic sound was the one I meant to post:
Updated Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Ta4eQXCVD0YD5z1iZVBVyAVpsUc0RzS/view?usp=sharing

It has AfterTouch slide effects, Assignable 1 & 2 effects and also works well with Ribbon or Joystick.

Last edited by Reuben on Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Reuben. I will check it out too!
bensel46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TNX Reuben for the set.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bensel46/videos
Tom04

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
have a look at the video from Alois Müller. It's in german language, but maybe you can SEE, what he is doing.

https://youtu.be/Ugs7iA6te08

Alois explained the method with the ensemble function super in his video.
Somehow I had in my head that the pitch bend can do more and wanted to add something with the Y axis. I came across how to program the PedalSteel, as with the Genos, without the ensemble function for the same effect.

To
1. Call up the "Sound mode"
2. Call one of the PedalSteels 1,2 or 3 DNC as the sound to be processed
3. Press the "Menu" button
4. Press the "Pitch" button
5. Select the "Pitch Mod" tab below
6. A parameter selection field with NORMAL appears in the first field under "Pitch Slope".
7. Select "P.BEND LEFT" in the selection and you have the desired effect. In each case the lowest struck tone (left) is "pitched".
If you choose "P.BEND RIGHT" the top note will be "pitched", also interesting. With "NORMAL" all notes are pitched.

8. Finally, at the top right, tap the angle down for the selection menu and select "WRITE SOUND". So you can save and use the "new Pedal Steel" as USER sound.

Of course, this is also possible with other guitars and sounds, try it out with the Telecaster and or a FenderRhodes.
dutch2019

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom04 wrote:
Hi,
have a look at the video from Alois Müller. It's in german language, but maybe you can SEE, what he is doing.

https://youtu.be/Ugs7iA6te08

Alois explained the method with the ensemble function super in his video.
Somehow I had in my head that the pitch bend can do more and wanted to add something with the Y axis. I came across how to program the PedalSteel, as with the Genos, without the ensemble function for the same effect.

To
1. Call up the "Sound mode"
2. Call one of the PedalSteels 1,2 or 3 DNC as the sound to be processed
3. Press the "Menu" button
4. Press the "Pitch" button
5. Select the "Pitch Mod" tab below
6. A parameter selection field with NORMAL appears in the first field under "Pitch Slope".
7. Select "P.BEND LEFT" in the selection and you have the desired effect. In each case the lowest struck tone (left) is "pitched".
If you choose "P.BEND RIGHT" the top note will be "pitched", also interesting. With "NORMAL" all notes are pitched.

8. Finally, at the top right, tap the angle down for the selection menu and select "WRITE SOUND". So you can save and use the "new Pedal Steel" as USER sound.

Of course, this is also possible with other guitars and sounds, try it out with the Telecaster and or a FenderRhodes.

Very cool! Thanks!
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with this technique is that you can’t always predict whether you want the note at the bottom, the note in the middle (and even that assumes you are only holding three) or the note at the top to bend. It’s going to depend on how you voice the chord...

Yamaha have a bit better system where only the note below the third gets bent (based on how the chord recognition realizes what chord you are playing). But even that is limited compared to the real thing. Pedal steels are quite complicated instruments, many knee levers to do different bends and extensive use of the volume pedal AND picking technique to coax a myriad of sounds from them.

The biggest problem is that pedal playing is a combination of the slide used to bend ALL the played notes and knee levers to bend just SOME of the notes. So a system that programs just one of these behaviors only gets you partly there.

Personally, I’d suggest first getting to grips with simpler lap steel technique, where there are no knee levers and all notes get bent together. There’s plenty of work to do just getting that dialed in before you add the complication of the knee levers!

Learn which two and three note chords and intervals can be bent to adjacent chords (IIm-IIIm, IV-V etc.) and how to pre-bend a note or interval so it can be returned to pitch as additional notes are added (pre-bend III down to II before striking, then add I or V after you bend up, etc.). Then work through things like pre-bending III down to II, then add VI after bending up then bend BOTH back down. Work on making it fast and fluid. A lot of the time, you aren’t playing the notes you want, but the notes you want after the bend. Practice scales and licks using the bender to get the scale, not the right note. Practice coming DOWN as well as up to the target notes...

By the time you have got this fluid (and worked on your swell technique), then worry about the knee lever technique and voicing chords and intervals to account for where you intend the bend to go, not where it is at the start. Good lap steel technique will give you a really good head start in thinking about that extra wrinkle... and can easily be accomplished without fancy programming.

BTW, one extra tip... rather than the joystick, try working on this using the pitch strip. This makes pre-bending a bit easier and can help you achieve a more organic sound because it can be used both for bending and vibrato (rock your finger about the zero point). Try intervals much larger than the usual whole tone for longer slides...

As with emulation of ANY real instrument, try immersing yourself for days if not weeks listening to real players playing that instrument. Learn what is idiomatic, and subconsciously you’re going to learn what ISN’T idiomatic as well..! And knowing what NOT to play is probably more than half the battle! A great performance of a few well practiced licks can so easily be ruined by a lick or phrase that a real player would never (or could never) play. Listen to real players long enough, and you gradually get an ear for recognizing when you are straying from what can and can’t be done.

And that is what makes the difference!
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys - I gave the wrong link to my Pedal Steel Sound.
It should have been this link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Ta4eQXCVD0YD5z1iZVBVyAVpsUc0RzS/view?usp=sharing
The earlier one was from way back and was not realistic. This later link sounds much more like the real thing.
John
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Pedal STEEL GUITAR Reply with quote

Many thanks to all for your support with this topic.

Jim (If it sounds country, that's what it is, a country song) KK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: