Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos snapping back to first pattern, combination, etc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NobHill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Kronos snapping back to first pattern, combination, etc Reply with quote

I have a Kronos 2-73 which I bought in November 2016 that has just begun behaving strangely. When I am in Set List and try calling up a different patch it snaps back to the first patch combination, 0. In Program or Combination mode it does the same thing - I turn the dial, but it snaps back to 000.

What do I need to do to fix this problem? Would installing a newer version of the operating system clean this up?

If I need to re-initialize the Kronos can I reload a .PCG file I’ve saved internally with the custom patches I’ve created? Or do I need to save a .PCG file on an external disk?

I appreciate any help you can give me.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

My first guess would be a problem with one of the panel buttons. Turn off the unit and push on every button one after the other on the right side (digits, enter, exit, mode switches, etc.). Do you hear a nice click on each ? Any button which seems to stay partially stuck or lower than another after pushing on it ? Possible little liquid splash on the surface recently ? It could also be oxidation creating a little short on a button panel PCB causing this behaviour. If everything seems fine, we can look further after your feedback.
NobHill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Kronos snapping back to first pattern, combination, etc Reply with quote

Dear KK,
With power off, I pushed and got a healthy click from every button on the keyboard. When I powered back on the Kronos worked like normal, no problems. Is this a known or typical problem with the Kronos? In any case, I'm happy that the fix is so easy.

Thanks for your help!
JJ
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NobHill,

Glad this little trick worked. Cool Maybe a button was still slightly down or partly stuck. Not a typical Kronos problem, but it can happen.

If it happens again, a bit of oxidation on a PCB near button contacts/traces could be the cause. Another recommended thing is to use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) with your Kronos, so it always receives clean electric power. A basic UPS is not expensive and it will protect your Kronos against AC line noise and spikes, which can sometimes cause erratic behaviour.

Hopefully the problem is gone for good now and you can concentrate on playing your Kronos. Sounds Good
NobHill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Kronos snapping back to first pattern, combination, etc Reply with quote

As suggested, I am planning on cleaning the inside of the buttons soon, but in the meantime would like to update the sub-system firmware and the operating system. Which one should I install first? Or does it not matter?

I am a Mac user - I installed the Kronos_Update_3.1.3 package labeled Win/Mac. I was able to open the package but there were no instructions for a Mac user. There is a .csum file and a .tar.gz zip file and I can’t open either one of them. Can you get me some detailed instructions how to install this update from a Mac computer?

I may also need some instructions about how to install the sub-system firmware from a Mac computer.

Do I just load these files onto a little USB dongle without opening them, then hope the Kronos can work with them?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos snapping back to first pattern, combination, etc Reply with quote

NobHill wrote:
As suggested, I am planning on cleaning the inside of the buttons soon, but in the meantime would like to update the sub-system firmware and the operating system. Which one should I install first? Or does it not matter?

I am a Mac user - I installed the Kronos_Update_3.1.3 package labeled Win/Mac. I was able to open the package but there were no instructions for a Mac user. There is a .csum file and a .tar.gz zip file and I can’t open either one of them. Can you get me some detailed instructions how to install this update from a Mac computer?

I may also need some instructions about how to install the sub-system firmware from a Mac computer.

Do I just load these files onto a little USB dongle without opening them, then hope the Kronos can work with them?

In the folder that you downloaded was a sub-folder labeled "Manuals." The file "KRONOS_Update_and_Restore_E4" should be what you need!

Best,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
NobHill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Updating Operating System and Firmware Reply with quote

OK, I've printed out the instructions Update...E4. It says copy the update files and subfolders and copy them onto a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive. Can you be specific and tell me what files and subfolders they are talking about? There are many files, and most of them I can't open on my Mac. Do I just copy the zip package 3_1_3.tag.gz to the flash drive without opening it?

Also, you didn't answer my first question about whether I should update my firmware or Kronos operating system first. Which first?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: