Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ROLAND JUPITER X
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
CharlesFerraro wrote:
What does the Jupiter X do synth wise? The website says the name of the synth engine but doesn’t give specs on filter types, number of oscillators, LFO’s, or EG’s...

At a minimum, it emulates the architecture and sound of Jupiter 8, Juno-106, SH-101, JX-8P, XV-5080 (rompler style). Also pianos (at least) from the RD-700GX, and drum machine (incl. TR-808, TR-909, and CR-78 emulations). You can combine up to 4 synth patches (whether from the same emulation or from different emulations) plus a drum set.

So it's basically still subtractive combined with various different wave modelling techniques as the oscillator base (and no FM). I'd like to read a comparison between the Zen-Core engine and the ACB engine, as ACB was touted as being the best way to accurately recreate the analogue beasts of yore accurately in the digital realm. I'm surprised it wasn't included in the collection of engines that comprises Zen-Core. One article I've read states that the Zen-Core was used to increase polyphony.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

At a minimum, it emulates the architecture and sound of Jupiter 8, Juno-106, SH-101, JX-8P, XV-5080 (rompler style). Also pianos (at least) from the RD-700GX, and drum machine (incl. TR-808, TR-909, and CR-78 emulations). You can combine up to 4 synth patches (whether from the same emulation or from different emulations) plus a drum set.

Oh cool, thanks Scott. Does it do all of those emulations in the same engine? Sounds kindof like the Arturia Origin.
For me, the classics aren’t as appealing as the newer stuff. For performers trying to capture the sound of old, who need a more modern workflow, Fantom is probably a great choice.
Andi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
The Jupiter X has speakers....

Wanted to comment that too.
It looks like Roland is becomming a toy factory.
Their best product, ACB, has not got an update this time. They only used it to update their JU-06 toy. Insane.
I love that System-8 and they should have released a System-16/32 with aftertouch and more LFOs and MOD matrix. Instead they have named their "new" engine after the AMD processor they use. The engine itself seems to be just an upgraded JV/SuperNatural. Most patches on the Fantom are PCM ROM samples. It sounds good, but nothing I would buy to replace my Fantom G6 witch has less power but is still more capabel.
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
The only useless thing to me here is a synth presentation without presenting it's sound character and demoing it in use at all.

Yes... And it's the same old thing over and over again with real innovation being too much of a risk, and even the goodness of the past like Poly AT left out. Manufacturing costs have dropped and profit drives what we see not what we need and want IMO. Roland.. Yamaha... both have immense potential but even after all the years gone by the Kronos is still king... with no competition anymore to need to change. The video was a band playing... not a synth demo.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi wrote:
RKfan wrote:

Wanted to comment that too.
It looks like Roland is becomming a toy factory.
Their best product, ACB, has not got an update this time. They only used it to update their JU-06 toy. Insane.
I love that System-8 and they should have released a System-16/32 with aftertouch and more LFOs and MOD matrix. Instead they have named their "new" engine after the AMD processor they use. The engine itself seems to be just an upgraded JV/SuperNatural. Most patches on the Fantom are PCM ROM samples. It sounds good, but nothing I would buy to replace my Fantom G6 witch has less power but is still more capabel.

The jupiter X has 2 processor of the same type as the system 8 has...
however the system 8 has 3 of them..
The fantom has 4 of them..

Personally as a players instrument,,.. i still like The Jupiter 80 best...
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
I'd like to read a comparison between the Zen-Core engine and the ACB engine, as ACB was touted as being the best way to accurately recreate the analogue beasts of yore accurately in the digital realm. I'm surprised it wasn't included in the collection of engines that comprises Zen-Core. One article I've read states that the Zen-Core was used to increase polyphony.

Right, as I understand it, they did not use ACB because it is very resource intensive. It would not be capable of the kind of polyphony they wanted (or I guess at least not at the same price).
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
megamarkd wrote:
I'd like to read a comparison between the Zen-Core engine and the ACB engine, as ACB was touted as being the best way to accurately recreate the analogue beasts of yore accurately in the digital realm. I'm surprised it wasn't included in the collection of engines that comprises Zen-Core. One article I've read states that the Zen-Core was used to increase polyphony.

Right, as I understand it, they did not use ACB because it is very resource intensive. It would not be capable of the kind of polyphony they wanted (or I guess at least not at the same price).

I think the whole idea is that you use the apple cloud when you want the acb technollogy... either with logic or with mainstage..
Andi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bachus"]
Andi wrote:
RKfan wrote:

Seems I got wrong information then. And how does Roland justify the price of 2500€, if they removed 1 processor?
I was told the Fantom, X and Xm have all AMD processors. Sadly Roland is not very forthcomming with more detailed infos. We don't even have an official number how much RAM for samples is inside the Fantom. Scott Tibbs mentioned 1.7 GB. We have to scrub the bottom of the barrel.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi wrote:
And how does Roland justify the price of 2500€, if they removed 1 processor?

The System 8 and the Jupiter Xm cost the same. System 8 has more controls, CV, better keyboard. Jupiter Xm is 5-part (vs. 2?), more polyphony, metal build, better display, balanced outs, speakers, rompler sounds. So you can justify taking some stuff out by putting other stuff in. Wink

The extra for the full size Jupiter gets you back the full set of controls, bigger keyboard with aftertouch, internal power supply.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Andi"]
Bachus wrote:
Andi wrote:
RKfan wrote:

Seems I got wrong information then. And how does Roland justify the price of 2500€, if they removed 1 processor?
I was told the Fantom, X and Xm have all AMD processors. Sadly Roland is not very forthcomming with more detailed infos. We don't even have an official number how much RAM for samples is inside the Fantom. Scott Tibbs mentioned 1.7 GB. We have to scrub the bottom of the barrel.

Roland named their new synth engine (software) zen-core
Which is the same name as AMD uses for some processors..
This made people jump to conclusions i guess..

Anyway, i have more interest in a Jupiter 80.
If anyone in Holland is selling, give me a heads up..
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:

Me too!! Selling my Jupiter-80 was my biggest regret.... I'd buy a new one if they were still available!!!!

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Me too!! Selling my Jupiter-80 was my biggest regret.... I'd buy a new one if they were still available!!!!

Very Happy

They are hard to find tough...

I am considering going for an integra 7
Or even an FA07..

Both should be able to recreate the sound of the Jupiter 80 to some extent..

On the other hands, its not just the sound that makes the jupiter 80 so good..
I love the easy interface of layering and splitting those live sets..
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integra-7 is superb and yes, has many J80 sounds and features
Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Very Happy

I think my situation has just been solved..
I cought a lonely Jupiter 80

Its just a perfect instrument for controlling an arranger module..
Going to pair it with a Ketron sd90..
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
I am considering going for an integra 7
Or even an FA07..

Both should be able to recreate the sound of the Jupiter 80 to some extent..
karmathanever wrote:

The SuperNatural Synth of the Jupiter 80/50 is also in the Integra and the FA and should sound very close, probably identical, except that the effects architecture in the Jupiter is far more flexible... you can put multiple effects on a single tone, in series or parallel. Integra (and FA) only let you assign one insert effect per sound (though you can split/layer more tones simultaneously than you can on the Jupiters).

The SuperNatural Acoustic tones of the Jupiter 80 are all in the Integra (again with the same effects limitations described above), and in fact, the Integra has many more of them than the Jupiter 80 has (along with a whole bunch of PCM tones that are not in the Jupiter 80).

The FA has only a very small subset of the SuperNatural Acoustic tones of the Jupiter 80 or Integra, and a subset of the PCM tones of the Integra.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: