Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Long Term Kronos owner/musician
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
Well......

Errrrrrm......

I just sold my Kronos Exclamation

Yes, I’ve just sold the most complete workstation on the planet !

I’m hoping a new one comes out next year ! Very Happy Rolling Eyes

I figure the price of a used Kronos will be much lower when a new one comes out !

For now, I’m happy with what I have

If the boot time is much quicker, the touchscreen is more ‘friendly’ and there are updated sounds, I will jump on one if the price is right - then I could also sell another one of my boards

That’s the plan!

Meanwhile, I’m still enjoying making music

Its ok with me, if you still post here Wink
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
PCFREE wrote:
Well......

Errrrrrm......

I just sold my Kronos Exclamation

Yes, I’ve just sold the most complete workstation on the planet !

I figure the price of a used Kronos will be much lower when a new one comes out !

For now, I’m happy with what I have

If the boot time is much quicker, the touchscreen is more ‘friendly’ and there are updated sounds, I will jump on one if the price is right - then I could also sell another one of my boards

That’s the plan!

Meanwhile, I’m still enjoying making music

Its ok with me, if you still post here Wink

Thankyou !

This is like my second home ! Laughing

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:

Quote:
I think today's world of constant software updates and rapid obsolescence have changed our expectations.

GregC wrote:
Not that there aren't areas Korg could improve on. A more modern UI would be nice....
....the UI and font size is tough on my old eyes.

I'm all for that, as long as Korg doesn't do the Roland thing by making the successor incompatible with the previous flagship. I want to be able to use all the libraries I have built up and spent thousands on.

With OASYS I was spending $250 a pop for upgrades (LAC-1, MOD-7, $149 for EXs 3), up to $400 per Granular Atmospheres, Movie Collection, Symphonic Strings, KSL, KUO and whatever else. What a break I caught when my new Kronos could play all that, plus the several more libraries I bought for that. I will be giving up more than a Kronos, if the new Korg workstation can't play this stuff.

hackjo wrote:
I don't understand how anyone can get bored of an instrument with the depth and complexity of the Kronos.

Maybe frustrated. I think what a lot of people want is an easier UI to interface with those complexities - lots of colors (like the Set List page), multi-point touch response, not having to think about moving Insert FX around; you put the program in the Song slot and it should sound the same.
I think everyone wants 256 voice poly, at least with the sample engine.

It's obvious Korg has a winning design. Other manufacturers have adopted the big touch screen and mixer interface. It just needs an update, such as 64 bit compatibility, etc.
SKung

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I make multisamples for HD-1 with various VST instruments and effects. Mostly sustain-only envelopes and with multiple oscillators in 5-9 times unison.

Imported into the Kronos they provide much richer oscillators than the single waveforms in AL-1 and don't exceed polyphony or CPU-power so quick.

Until now I got 30 different sounding multisamples and I think they will give me enough food for the next couple of years with the Kronos.

I got backups of all multisamples in SFZ Format in case of the need to update some samples or maybe there will be a successor of the Kronos someday. But I don't know if I will need a successor. Maybe I run out of sample RAM, who knows...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
kronoSphere wrote:
G and also for creating the midi files I had forgotten to make with the Tritoni. I know, yes I know that midi files don't resolve all the problems of compatibility, but, anyway IMHO I think it is a very good thing to save each time each of the kronos song also in midi files too.
If one day my Kronos fails and if there is a successor of the Kronos : all will not be lost.

you are right, brother. At least SMF song files is at least half way there when moving to another keyboard with GM

Have 2 questions :

Whats the diff between " 0 " format. and " 1 " ?

What does the 'exclusive ' check box achieve ?

Thank you !

hey Greg, I think this answers your question on midi filetype:

Type 1 files contain separate information for each track. For a Type 0 file, however, all the tracks are merged into a single track, although MIDI channel information is still retained. When a Type 0 file is loaded into a sequencer, it will take each channel's information and put it on a separate track.

Thanks 1 Wink
laandodeman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with Oasys, bought the Kronos 1 and now have the Kronos 2015. I use it on a daily basis for different live and studio projects.

I am very happy with the Kronos. It has proven to be a very reliable and professional instrument. But of course in many cases it's not the original. So I also own a hammond M3, leslie 147, a Yamaha G5 grand piano and an Prophet 6 analog synth. I am thinking about adding a CP80 Electric Grand, which on the Kronos unfortunately has not been included in the otherwise excellent EP-1 engine (probably because of rights issues with competitor Yamaha?).

Sample management is one of my biggest frustrations with Kronos. I have had a lot of panic situations and I find support on this issue by Korg very poor. For the rest I keep struggling with managing my volumes in live situations as I use many programs and combi's. My band colleagues complain sometimes they hear nothing and then the next combi is too loud. Not sure if this is the Kronos though, might be my own failing.... Very Happy
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m coming up on two years with my K. I can’t imagine ever getting bored with it. It’s pretty effectively bottomless- there’s a lifetime’s worth of sound exploration here. The open sampling system means it’s pretty much infinitely expandable too. The synths in it are still very relevant and high quality by today’s standards. The sequencer functions are rich and capable. Karma’s full potential remains untapped by me.

That said, I’d love to see Korg do a massive overhaul of the UI, whether that be in a new workstation or via an OS update. There have been a lot of great advances in software user experience and design thinking in the past decade. The Kronos UI (though perfectly functional) feels like it was designed 20+ years ago. Because it basically was. I can go watch videos about the M1 and Triton and see where the UI came from. Not that there haven’t been improvements over the years but it’s still an extension of that same design. I do feel like a greenfield type modernization effort here would be the best thing that could happen to Kronos.
SKung

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
Sample management is one of my biggest frustrations with Kronos.

Yes, I am glad that I can do sf2 import. I don't do any editing inside my Kronos. All volume, loops, filtering, eq changes etc. I do on my PC and then I export my multisamples as SF2 and import then on the Kronos. Even updates are done on my computer and reimported.

Quote:
The Kronos UI (though perfectly functional) feels like it was designed 20+ years ago. Because it basically was.

Just try to change any EG. You must change 2 parameters for length and height. No idea of pressing a point in the UI and dragging it around while playing on the keyboard.

In both examples, sampling and EG, you will get to your result and can create enough soundmaterial for the next centuries, but there are many needs to simplify the Kronos' usage.
Sweat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
I am thinking about adding a CP80 Electric Grand, which on the Kronos unfortunately has not been included in the otherwise excellent EP-1 engine (probably because of rights issues with competitor Yamaha?).

Owning a Yamaha G5... now that's nice. But getting CP80?

The great thing about owning and loving a Kronos means never having to say your sorry about loading terrific mulitsampled instruments.

Purgatory Creek has a great CP-80 in the Free download section of their website, included with this library:
https://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.php/reeds-tapes-and-transistors/
I bought their library EXS-143 CP-70b, which is even better.
laandodeman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I use the "Tony" CP70 samples a lot, very playable and convincing. And they are a lot better than the Electric Grand in the Kronos HD engine. But yet, I would love to have the real thing. Very Happy
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relative newcomer to the Kronos, but I got both the Karma and M3 when they first were released...

While I've owned probably 50 synthesizers in my career, I can see where my Kronos fits and in my opinion is the best overall by a long shot. I can't foresee ever getting rid of it, unless a newer and much better version THAT IS COMPATIBLE is released by Korg. It's really all about the sound. To my ears it is untouchable as far as the "digital" engines go...for analogs I prefer the real thing and have a handful of great ones.

I have the Kawai version of the CP70, which is equipped with MIDI. It's been in storage for a while, this thread has be itching to get it back out. But it's over 100 miles away, I'll need a full day and a vehicle I can move it in.
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKung:
Quote:
I do on my PC and then I export my multisamples as SF2 and import then on the Kronos.

Do you notice any loss of fidelity, etc. by importing as SF2?

thanks~
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:
Do you notice any loss of fidelity, etc. by importing as SF2?

I am curios too.
Accordingly to manual, Korg mention SoundFont 2.0 support ( ver. 2 supports 16-bit only)
The SoundFont version 2.04 format added support for 24-bit samples.
So there could be a loss, samples would be rendered at 16-bit precision.

And Kronos Sampling Specs are:

RAM: 16-bit/48 kHz stereo/mono sampling
DISK: 16 or 24-bit/48 kHz
SKung

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say, SF2-import downsamples to 16 bit. Moreover, I got studio monitors on my pc and HiFi-Headphones on the Kronos.

I can try routing the Kronos Audio of imported SF2 samples via USB to my pc and record it to compare with my original samples (before SF2 conversion).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about sampling particular sounds/instruments, 16 vs 24, in terms of fidelity

I have recorded a few multi track originals in 24 bit and 16, and I cannot hear a diff

I asked a few of my Kronos listeners if they can hear a diff in fidelity and they could not.

I know there are folks that say 24 bit is a difference maker, but I haven't found it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: