Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating multisamples?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKung

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Updating multisamples? Reply with quote

I previously imported multisamples sf2 into my Kronos and successfully made some programs with them. All (multi-samples) are saved on my SSD. After playing a while, I noticed some issues in some of samples. Since I got backups of all my imported samples in .wav format on my computer, I was able to fix these issues on my pc using a wave editor.
Now I got a new version of one multisample to import.

But this import would not be interpreted as an update, it would be a new file. I know I could remap one program to the new multisample. But when I got many programs with that (old) multisample, how do I know which programs I have to remap?

Other idea for update is to import the new ms and save it first. Since .wav filenames and structure are identical to the old version the kronos would use the same naming conventions for KMP and KSF files and folders (is that so?).
Then I could copy and overwrite all old KMP and KSF files with new ones and don't have to remap my programs.

Am I on the right path or is there something I am missing (after reading the manuals about saving sample data in disk mode)?
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In similar case of externally editted multisamples , this is my workflow :
- Loading the saved KSF of initial converted SF2 samples in clear mode
- Importing corrected Multisamples in append mode one by one
- Overwrite all existing Multisamples with corrected and delete all unused samples
- Save sampling data only under the same name

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
SKung

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for you help. I tried to reproduce your procedure but must have made some mistake during the 4th step overwriting corrected Multisamples.

I imported one MS from a SF2 file which created a patch and I saved the samples in a KSC file.
After that I imported the second SF2 file which appended the new MS into RAM.
In global mode, sample manage, I saw 4 multisamples:
two ms (left and right) from the old import on position 1 and 2 and two ms (left and right) from the new import on position 3 and 4.

Not I think I missed the 'overwrite' procedure somehow. I did not find a way to replace ms 1 and 2 with 3 and 4 here.
Therefore I unloaded the first 2 ms and saved the sampling data in the old KSC (without new id).

After that I added the KSC for autoload and did a KSC reload but after that my program from the first import had its connection to the ms broken.
And I couldn't fix it with the 'remap multisample' function (if that would have helped anyway).

------------

Then I tried the second attempt with file replacement and saved both versions in different KSC's. But unfortunately they used different file names. So that approach was unusable.

------------

For the next attempt I will use a text editor and write the uuid from the old KSC into the new one and replace the whole old KSC. This should work without breaking my program...
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that if you edit KSC sampling data and re-save sampling data under another name without new samples ID , then always
old samples folder will be addressed , so the best way in that way is always delete older samples folder & KSC.
If your "SF2" project's contents are a few multisamples then delete all saved , import all good working older plus edited multisamples ,
save your sampling data and just manually edit MS references in Programs , just a few minutes workflow !
Changing manually uuid (ID) not sure that this will work ...

The proper way with many multisamples is to load created KSC in clear mode , delete all defective multisamples , import all edited
multisamples in append mode , save your sampling data only KSC under the same name and correct manually Programs with new associations !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
SKung

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I started with the 'proper way' and got a bit worried about the step where I have do edit MS references in programs manually.

What if I make 15 different programs out of one MS. And 4 months later I see that I need to update the MS:
How Do I remenber a) how many programs I made and b) where they are?

Either I find a way to automate that ms remapping or I need to maintain a table that lists all programs that use my multisamples

Looking at the tidykronos website I see a screenshot with a table that shows programs and samples from a loaded PCG. I will try this tool in the case I won't succeed with the uuid replacement.

If the Kronos would store its samples in simple .wav files I could replace samples in a few seconds, but proprietary formats are different Brick wall
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know details of your project , but Kronos sampling management is just fine !
If it's complicated for you , just create a new sampling project with only corrected multisamples and every time you find a Program
with older MS reference , change it to the new updated one.

SKung

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my next 'experiment' I found the mistake I did before: I imported the second file while the old samples still were in RAM.
Therefore the new samples did get different numbers (3 and 4) than the old ones (1 and 2).

So I imported the new samples with empty RAM and got exactly the same filenames as the old samples.

Then I replaced the KSC subfolder with KMP and KSF files, did a KSC-autoload and all my programs used the new samples.

I didn't try the uuid-replacement since I would have been forced to copy the files to a computer and transfer the edited files back. Replacing the KSC-subfolder can be done on the Kronos.

And thanks again for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: