Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using the E2 with, erm....the E2S?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxxgrooved

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Anyone using the E2 with, erm....the E2S? Reply with quote

The new Electribes get a good bashing on this forum. I can sympathize with some things but for how much you can grab both of these for 2nd hand why not use both synched up and get a pretty powerful rig for cheap.

I don't see many people talking about using these together but why not... they are made for each other. One has deeper synthesis while the other can sample. With the limitations on polyphony and voice stealing you can bet that Korg had intended for them to be used together to form a more comprehensive setup.

Hooking up both via midi is a breeze with the knobs and buttons having the same midi controller numbers. You can literally control one unit from the other. Switching patterns will also cause the other unit to switch patterns in sync so you effectively have 32 tracks of synths and samples switching between patterns.

Does anyone have any experience of using these together? I would be interested to know how you have them configured. My current setup is having the E2S as the master sequencer triggering the E2 as a synth module. The audio out of the E2 is fed into the audio in of the E2S where it can be further processed in stereo using the filter, insert fx etc. The E2 only has a mono audio input so it doesn't make sense to run the E2S into the E2 unless you use the audio thru function, but this means you lose out on using the fx and filters.

Would be interested to hear about other ways of hooking these 2 up
boxxgrooved

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah just as I thought, no one. People are too busy bitching on this forum about these units than actually hooking them up together to realise what a powerful setup they are combined.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like thr work they're perfect together.

The e2s can sample stereo and personally I would process the e2 into the e2s so I could play more notes on the Synth, apply 2 layer of effect+the Sampler IFX and MFX, you definitely could benefit more from this set up since the e2 has more synth options and the e2s can resample internally. I would use the e2s mainly for drums.

In a performance set up I will stil prefer the e2 audio in the e2s, so if you have a looper/slicer/sort of thing you can easily decide what drums goes in or if you have roll to unmute. On the e2 I will keep the XY pad in gate arp/scale mode so or you can randomly throw melody lock in scale or use the gate arp+mute combo to mute/unmute multiple synth.
boxxgrooved

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's how I have been using them recently. E2 audio into the E2s. Some things I have discovered:

1. Muting - the good thing about using both units is when you mute/unmute all tracks at once on one unit you still have the other unit playing as it was. For example this is good for killing all the drums on one unit while the other plays chords and melodies.

2. Running the E2 into the E2s means you can use a stereo track to process the E2 audio. You can use an Lfo on the filter or volume to achieve pumping and slicing fx and combined with the Slicer and Roller insert fx you can really mash up the audio into some interesting patterns. The Decimator combined with Lfo gating is also great on dense walls of sound coming into the E2s.

3. Master Fx - I like to use the Looper as a master FX. Engaging this to effect the E2 audio the looper can create choppy variations on the E2 audio to keep the pattern interesting.

4. Midi filter is setup on the E2 to filter out everything except program changes from the E2s. So when I switch patterns on the E2s the E2 will follow. When i play the keyboard on the E2s the E2 will not sound so this means that I have to sequence parts on the E2 seperately. This gives me an extra 16 parts to work with and it means I can mute/unmute all parts at once individually on each unit.

If I had to pick one unit I would always take the E2s but using both together gives you lots of creative possibilities which are not obvious until you hook them up together. I think the Electribes were really designed to be used in tandem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: