Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use with VST / DAW?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smifenuf1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Use with VST / DAW? Reply with quote

Hello everyone
can the Korg PA4x be used with VSTs? I'm changing my old studio from an old Korg physical recording device porta studio (with DC and real knobs, etc) to the digital recording on a computer like the rest of the world. It is confusing. I have the Korg PA4x but can it be used to run VST through it to a DAW? Or maybe phrased- can the keyboard be used to manipulate or play the digital VST into the DAW? Specifically I want to by the Native Instruments Komplete Collection VSTs and record with Reaper. Is there a way to do this or do I need to by a keyboard controller for this purpose?
Thanks much!
Shannon
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be used for basic midi sound control but i would recommend having a secondary controller if you want knobs as controls
Caswain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommened the Native Instruments keyboard s61
this would work in hand with Komplete software you mentioned

I have pa4x and a Native instrument s61 always us the Native board with Komplete suite as it just works well in a studio enviroment as it would be set to the keyboards switches and buttons it is purpose built for this setup

also the keys are quite nice
Bill1983

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Use with VST / DAW? Reply with quote

smifenuf1 wrote:
Hello everyone
can the Korg PA4x be used with VSTs? I'm changing my old studio from an old Korg physical recording device porta studio (with DC and real knobs, etc) to the digital recording on a computer like the rest of the world. It is confusing. I have the Korg PA4x but can it be used to run VST through it to a DAW? Or maybe phrased- can the keyboard be used to manipulate or play the digital VST into the DAW? Specifically I want to by the Native Instruments Komplete Collection VSTs and record with Reaper. Is there a way to do this or do I need to by a keyboard controller for this purpose?
Thanks much!
Shannon

I've been using Kontakt (NI Komplete Ultimate) with Sonar X2, X3 and now Platinum on my PA4x (and previously wiith my PA500/PA800) dating back a decade. The one thing you really need is a fast CPU, plenty of RAM (16 gigabyte minimum, 32 recommended) and Fast SSD Storage (I use PCIe SSD). The key is loading all the instruments you will need into one project and mute/unmute the desired instruments as needed for a given style. Otherwise you'll spend all your time just opening projects instead of playing/performing. I've got both a laptop & desktop that are identically configured but in hindsight I'd recommend a rack mount desktop.

I'm currently considering moving to Ableton Live 10 as a DAW because it is the only DAW I've found that will sync to an external midi clock. Sonar I have to manually set BPM to match. Kontakt, in standalone mode will sync to the PA MIDI Clock flawlessly but you're stuck with just Kontakt. This is not to be confused with MTC (MIDI Time Code) as the PAx only sends MIDI Clock and not MIDI Time Code. For live performance I wouldn't want MTC anyway because all I'd be is another DJ playing WAVs and MP3s. Not my idea of being a musician but opinions vary.

Let me know if you need any real details as it took me years to get this dialed in. If you do not currently have a DAW I'd recommend starting with just the purchase of Kontakt, it's included library and Native Instruments Session Guitarist Strummed Acoustics and map it to your PA's MIDI channel 4 output as the input channel for Kontakt. You'll immediately see that not even a dreamed of PA5x or GENOS II can ever even come close to the realism you'll experience. The Chord Decoder in Strummed Acoustics is every bit as intelligent as the PA4x. There are many other Chord Smart VSTs available. Some are Kontakt instruments while others are not but the realm of possibilities are endless.
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: