Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAX GROWL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carbo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: SAX GROWL Reply with quote

Anybody got a suggestion as to a breath controller I could purchase that is compatible with the Kronos? Looking to add that distorted over the top growl so many sax solos exhibit. I've loaded aftermarket sax samples and they're awesome but looking for a sax on eleven!!

If there is a simpler solution using onboard Kronos effects, would clearly prefer that. I've played around a bit and not found anything but you guys know this board better then me, so all comments welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Peter
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frequent asked question.

Get SOP's sax sample

Its on sale. a no brainer. hear the demo
Carbo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg, thx for the assist. I'm actually using the EXs177 sound pack from SOP. It definitely got me most of the way but that growl, almost distorted sound of a sax blown hard is missing. It's very possible I am not using some of the Kronos capabilities, but I've tried the joystick as well as the vector and not really feeling it.

Thats why I was asking about breath controllers as a last resort, and that may not be the solution either. I'm stumped as usual!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbo wrote:
Hi Greg, thx for the assist. I'm actually using the EXs177 sound pack from SOP. It definitely got me most of the way but that growl, almost distorted sound of a sax blown hard is missing. It's very possible I am not using some of the Kronos capabilities, but I've tried the joystick as well as the vector and not really feeling it.

Thats why I was asking about breath controllers as a last resort, and that may not be the solution either. I'm stumped as usual!

I am almost positive it’s on some of the programs

Make sure u slowly move the joystick up to get that sound
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbo wrote:

I am almost positive it’s on some of the programs

Make sure u slowly move the joystick up to get that sound
Carbo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it another try and let you know. Possibly need to adjust the sensitivity of the joy stick so its range is muted and its easier to hit the sweet spot.
Hector Space

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbo wrote:
I'll give it another try and let you know. Possibly need to adjust the sensitivity of the joy stick so its range is muted and its easier to hit the sweet spot.

I have the updated Version of the Sax (EXS 277) it has samples with growl. But here's a tip that works really well.

If you add ring modulation (ifx) with say effect depth under the control of say after touch you can get a really good growl out of most switched sample sets. You have to choose a suitable modulation frequency but once its right it works really nicely.

I’ve also added some pitch droop to the after touch so that it comes in if you really press down hard. Say about a semitone. This provides you with real vibrato and expression even when you’ve only got one hand free!

Finally some overdrive is good (I use an ifx preamp) because that’s sort of like what happens to the sound when it’s close mic'd.

Works well on the Kronos 61 and also my Kurzweil Forte.
😊
Carbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea will give it a try. Thx Hector!
whelafam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never installed additional sounds but was looking for a decent SAX sound. Do you need to delete anything from the Korg Kronos factory load to accommodate the new sounds? Is it hard/risky to accomplish? I don't want to mess up anything on the Kronos as I am totally happy with everything else. Sometimes my big ideas go bad... Smile
Hector Space

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whelafam wrote:
I have never installed additional sounds but was looking for a decent SAX sound. Do you need to delete anything from the Korg Kronos factory load to accommodate the new sounds? Is it hard/risky to accomplish? I don't want to mess up anything on the Kronos as I am totally happy with everything else. Sometimes my big ideas go bad... Smile

I’ve installed EXS 277 Sax pack 2 from the Korgshop. It has some pretty good Sax samples and makes use of the round robin sample sequence feature to keep the instrument sounding fresh and real.
I didn’t need to delete anything. But I have modified some of the additional programs that came with the pack to provide more finger control with aftertouch routed to pitch bend down and razz via ring mod. Also making them monophonic with a little bit of glide is cool. All in all it’s a good sample set and makes a solid base to build your sounds.
Hector Space

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whelafam wrote:

I’ve installed EXS 277 Sax pack 2 from the Korgshop. It has some pretty good Sax samples and makes use of the round robin sample sequence feature to keep the instrument sounding fresh and real.
I didn’t need to delete anything. But I have modified some of the additional programs that came with the pack to provide more finger control with aftertouch routed to pitch bend down and razz via ring mod. Also making them monophonic with a little bit of glide is cool. All in all it’s a good sample set and makes a solid base to build your sounds.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sax EXs offerings are a must have.

You can squeeze some decent sax from Kronos factory programs but after awhile, the quality solution is an EXs.

Even the factory Sax in Montage/MODX are not in the same league as the EXs.

Sax, all 3 types [?] are an important acoustic instrument to have in your sonic arsenal. Gigging keyboard players likely don't care much but us home studio people have an exacting requirement.

Not going to discuss $5000 arrangers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: