Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg ARP2600
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

Unless I'd be wrong, synths are made to play music ! Don't you think ?
Yet, in a final mix, I'm not sure there would be many people who would be able to distinguish if a Minimoog sound comes from an old real Minimoog, a new generation Minimoog, a sampled Minimoog or even a Beghringer Model D or a VST.
Just compare an old ARP Odyssey, a Korg Odyssey and the Behringer Odyssey : the output signal levels may be different but the tone results are exactly the same.
In the early 90's, when I was a musical gear seller, Behringer produced very low cost and quite medium or low quality gear. But these times are over, for years.
Nowadays, we should stop considering Behringer produces as only "fun" gear as you do.
If they want to survive, the great old brands as Korg, Roland, Yamaha Music should consider Behringer as a real and serious competitor, be on an amateur or professionnal customers target. That's my opinion.

I belong to the Behringer Synth Users on FB. Most of the posts are requests of Uli/Behringer to please, please remake this or that synth. It's more about collecting and posting photos of their setups. It's like when my kids collected Pokeman cards. "Look what I got!" The music side of things seems to be a distant second. So yeah, Behringer is putting out some fun synths and its fans are having fun collecting and showing them off their studios to others. Some even are making music with them. One of the problems with these mono analogs is that it takes work to get anything but the most cliched sound out of them. If they use patch points it's worse. No preset recall.

BTW, I own a DeepMind 12.

Busch.

I have no statistics or guesses about the way people in Behringer forums use the classical re-issues. But for all the music friends I have using Behringer gear, I can't confirm the overall picture: none of them is using that gear like collected Pokemon cards. They are rather happy to get analog gear at very affordable price tags for musical everyday use.

Wouldn't collectors rather collect something with the original name and outlook well visible, like the Korg Arp 2600, than anything with Behringer written on it - and a more or less changed design, like the coming Behringer 2600? I would prefer the latter for price and form factor, as long as the sound character is convincing for my use, but I guess collectors hardly would.

I own and use a Behringer Model D sounding really great, besides my Moogs. The haptic experience is not the same as the original, but the difference is not worth ~3000 bucks to me. I would only spend that amount of money for advanced analog functionality, like in my Moog Voyager (with preset memory, full ADSR and other enhanced functions).

Korg not bothering about the Kronos heritage any more in any meaningful way, since several years now, and about a decade after initial release, completely alienates me from this this company - on top of the year long Prologue tuning desaster. I would not have hesitated to pay a high price for a worthy Kronos successor, and kept mony for that purpose. But that ship has sailed now. Thankfully, there's an incredible amount of both great hard- and software out there to compensate for that.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that the ARP2600 doesn't feature anywhere on the Korg website main page - but the ARP Odyssey does!
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Interesting that the ARP2600 doesn't feature anywhere on the Korg website main page

Well I can see it....

You have to scroll down the main page(Picture 9 on the grid)it's also featured within the Synthesizers/Keyboard section page under the Analogue synthesisers sub section!
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
Interesting that the ARP2600 doesn't feature anywhere on the Korg website main page

Well I can see it....

You have to scroll down the main page(Picture 9 on the grid)it's also featured within the Synthesizers/Keyboard section page under the Analogue synthesisers sub section!

Just testing - to see who's awake in this class Smile

Embarassed

(if I had a point to make - it'd have been well made by now - I think I had better shut up till Synth Booth !! ).
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What not to do when your Korg Arp 2600 arrives ... wait for it at 2:50. I'm still stunned, sure lets sell this to a customer for $3600.00, but first lets see if we can get the spring reverb to trigger by GROUND and POUNDING the top of the case, Smile Smile Smile ... Unbelievable!!!

Korg Arp 2600 comes a alive, and common sense dies.

Ya, just keeping pounding on the top, circuits love that, yep, they just love that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jyoq4kP-ok
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
slug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked On Sonics wrote:
What not to do when your Korg Arp 2600 arrives ... wait for it at 2:50. I'm still stunned, sure lets sell this to a customer for $3600.00, but first lets see if we can get the spring reverb to trigger by GROUND and POUNDING the top of the case, Smile Smile Smile ... Unbelievable!!!

Ya, just keeping pounding on the top, circuits love that, yep, they just love that

Korg demonstrator Nick Kwas did this very demonstration in his first 2600 video. I personally have no fear of whacking the chassis of a synthesiser that contains no valves.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
Hooked On Sonics wrote:

Korg demonstrator Nick Kwas did this very demonstration in his first 2600 video. I personally have no fear of whacking the chassis of a synthesiser that contains no valves.

Yea I saw that one too. Yea follow Nicks lead, that makes it right.
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it's not be used a stool to sit on while he played bongos and kazoo.
You would have hated to see the Butthole Surfers live in the late 80's when Jeff Pinkus would play chords by thumping the body of his bass with a closed fist. Not really that good for the instrument, but it made the sound he wanted and in the end it's his instrument and he can do what he wants with it.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked On Sonics wrote:
but first lets see if we can get the spring reverb to trigger by GROUND and POUNDING the top of the case, Smile Smile Smile ... Unbelievable!!!

The original 2600 reverb will feedback dreadfully if you have the internal speakers on and the reverb level up full... That's when you need to hit it with a sledgehammer.
Narioso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The digital Hammonds's I had have this pounding spring reverb as an effect you can assign to a foot control.

"The Spring Reverb is a reverb effect to obtain the
reverberation using the spring resilience. It was
easily affected by a shock and it use to give a big
“clang”.
However, this drawback has come to be used as
an effect in the genre of progressive rock. This
keyboard gives the simulated sound."

Those that feel like emulating Keith Emerson maybe.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A spring reverb I made a while ago sounded just like that, when "clonked".

slug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked On Sonics wrote:
slug wrote:
Hooked On Sonics wrote:

Yea I saw that one too. Yea follow Nicks lead, that makes it right.

I dont know why you think electronics are so fragile. At the most extreme i have a Danelectro Spring King reverb, which literally invites you to kick with your foot to get that spring reverb clang.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DSI Prophet 6 also has a spring Reverb(Emulation)Effect,but the best bit is you can select the SR effect and then bang on the synth and it also emulates the sound as if it was a real Spring being hit...

Laughing
Oldretro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Oldretro wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
Hooked On Sonics wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
I've just been informed by a reliable source that only 500 ARP2600s were made. 500 have sold. That's it, and they're not making any more!

Phew - that was fast!!

Wow, maybe cutoff for first run? Interesting sales decision.

I just asked someone over Facebook to go ask Korg at NAMM how many of these are being made. The answer: 400. That's it. No "initial run". 400 in total - no more runs. From the horses mouth - at NAMM!

Since those 400 were preordered by top artists upon invitation from Korg - it means there was never going to be an opportunity for the public to buy it. I know one established composer who was aware of it under NDA and was offered the opportunity from Korg to buy it before it was announced (he did). I checked with Thomann and they have no knowledge of it - it's not an item ever to be sold by them. So this was never 'released'; and all of those demo videos were a ruse.

So I can see where this is headed. Korg are going to announce the MiniKeys version of this shortly - once they've whetter the appetitie for the real thing, and only sell that to the masses.

They're friggin obsessed mini keys, mini everything.

I ordered the 2600 FS the day it was announced at my local music shop (that advertised it, and still does). So if it's true that the full size was only intended to be an appetizer and marketing ploy for the mini version, I will, as punishment, go for the Behringer, and buy that somewhere other than my local music shop. I just don't like these kind of things, at all!

Very interesting and good to hear - I truly hope I'm wrong - I really want to buy oene !! But not available in Europe - I asked Thomann with a reply that they have no plans to stock it! Perhaps it's a limited run thing, in some countries only? I hope you get yours. Let us know if there's any update on your delivery.

It's just I asked a synthesist at NAMM to ask at th eKorg booth and they said a once off run of 400, so whether available in stores or not, it seems like a very limited run.

Perhaps that's an official line for now and if the demand is there they'll do another run - but this isn't like limited runs of Boutiques - it's more akin to the Moog large modulars where were one off runs.

The latest news is that my music store (one of the bigger ones in Holland) say they will be able to deliver, but in 26 weeks. When I pre-ordered it, it was supposed to be 3 weeks, but I did not really believe that anyway. So I can't do anything but wait, and see if they can fulfil their promise. The slightly worrying thing is, that the 2600 is still available for pre-order on their website, while it seems to be sold out, practically everywhere else in the world. Well, we'll see.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldretro wrote:

The latest news is that my music store (one of the bigger ones in Holland) say they will be able to deliver, but in 26 weeks. When I pre-ordered it, it was supposed to be 3 weeks, but I did not really believe that anyway. So I can't do anything but wait, and see if they can fulfil their promise. The slightly worrying thing is, that the 2600 is still available for pre-order on their website, while it seems to be sold out, practically everywhere else in the world. Well, we'll see.

I contacted Thomann again on it a few days ago. They product manager went and specifically enquired with Krog - but came back and said they literally have no news of any kind to report. I'm curious how a Dutch supplier can quote 26 weeks, and Thomann are unable to find out anything. And I emphasise - they didn't say they have news they can't divulge - they said they have been given no news of any kind from Korg.

I also emailed Korg UK and they say they have no idea whether more will be released. However, in their email they said requests coming in were overwhelming - so that suggests to me that Korg put out 400 at low risk to see how it sold; made no specific plans to re-release it, but with overwhelming demand, may do another run.

But even if they do produce, say, another 400 of them - they'll be scooped up in a lottery type manner. Unless they do a run of a few thousand, Id' say anyone not a "name" in music might struggle to acquire one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: