Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will buying the Kronos be good for me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emrys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Emrys wrote:
For example 'polyphony,' I have no idea what that means.

Polyphony is the number of simultaneous notes (or more properly, voices) your synth can produce before it hits the limit of the CPU. For example if your synth had 3 voice polyphony, and you played C-E-G, it would be fine. If you tried to add a 4th note (say the major 7th, a B note) it wouldn't be able to play all 4 notes at once. Most synths handle this by stealing notes in some given order. For example, when you play the B note, it would stop sound the first note you played (C) to be able to play that 4th B note. Note that you don't even necessarily still need to have your finger on the keys for the note to be sounding - it might still be sustaining.

With Kronos the polyphony varies by the synth engine. For example, the PolySix six supports up to 180 voices of polyphony. The most intensive synth engine, the STR-1, only supports up to 40. Note that these have kind of a cumulative effect so if you're playing a combi that contains an STR-1 synth and a PolySix synth layered, you won't get a full 40 voices out of STR-1, because some of the processor is also being used by PolySix.

The Kronos manages polyphony for you. In a lot of cases, if you even hit this limit, you won't even notice it stealing notes - there will be too much going on, and it does it very well. However, it could become an issue in particularly big complex patches with many layers, or if you're using it to do a full song with a bunch of parts in the sequencer. It's something to be aware of. Depending on your use case, it may never be a problem for you. The way I use the Kronos, it's never been a problem for me so far.

No one knows what Korg might unveil at NAMM. If you would be devestated if you didn't get the latest and greatest board (assuming they do announce a K3 or whatever) it's probably worth waiting 3 weeks to find out. But again, that probably puts you 6 months from actually getting your hands on it. That has to be your call. I don't benefit whether you buy a Kronos or not. Smile

Thanks so much for educating me and doing it in a way that I understand!

I agree I would be devastated if I didn't wait just a little bit longer for the NAMM show and they revealed an upgrade or whatever!
THANKS again!
Much appreciated!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to be excited/enthusiastic . I am shopping for a 2nd keyboard and thats exciting.

Just the same, you have strong reasons to wait. Korg might reduce Kronos price[I hear laughter]

Software has progressed significantly .. Something new/unanticipated might show up.

Sales slow at retail in late January and they will offer more incentives to buy a +$3000 keyboard.

You can take the next 20 days to learn Kronos. Look around locally for Kronos owners and see if they want to buddy up.
Emrys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Its good to be excited/enthusiastic . I am shopping for a 2nd keyboard and thats exciting.

Just the same, you have strong reasons to wait. Korg might reduce Kronos price[I hear laughter]

Software has progressed significantly .. Something new/unanticipated might show up.

Sales slow at retail in late January and they will offer more incentives to buy a +$3000 keyboard.

You can take the next 20 days to learn Kronos. Look around locally for Kronos owners and see if they want to buddy up.

I am not going to lie, it is REAL hard to wait lol. But, I think there are many reasons to wait as it wouldn't hurt to get some kind of discount if that becomes available!!!

What are you looking for in your 2nd keyboard Greg?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrys wrote:
I am not going to lie, it is REAL hard to wait lol. But, I think there are many reasons to wait as it wouldn't hurt to get some kind of discount if that becomes available!!!

Well, there will be the boxing day sale. Razz
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
What on earth screen is that in your AL-1 demo starting ~1:26? On the Kronos LCD display? I have never seen that screen before.

Oh it's what you see when you are in Quick Layer or Quick Split mode. These fun features have been added in the latest two Kronos OS. If you didn't update yet or maybe tried these features yet, please do and it's totally free ! Cool

I didn't have a combi or program for what I'm playing in that part of the video, so I simply used the Quick Split mode to have the synth on the left side and a string sound on the right. Glad you liked it and take care ! Wink

Great video, KK!

I have to echo how great the Quick Split/Layer mode is. So easy to press the onscreen button and make the perfect performance (which can be saved to a combi).

To Emrys, I agree that you should wait till NAMM, in case a Kronos successor is announced. If Korg doesn't release one, nothing beats a Kronos, in my opinion. It will take patience to navigate, but it pays off.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, the Kronos can be used for its own unique sounds and capabilities.

No its not especially "plug and play" usb friendly as newer designed boards, but can be used both as a performing main or 2'nd board or in conjunction with your existing DAW system.

Notice this .. little newer than the 01/W. But if you like Korg retro products this is a great deal for extra sounds, and the addition of the Triton just made it even better.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_collection/
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's definitely an option to consider if you aren't set on getting hardware, Emrys. If your main thing is the Korg sound presets, $300 USD with the current sale would get you an awful lot of them in software format.

Not clear to me whether they are NKS enabled for Komplete Kontrol. That would sweeten the pot too.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Yeah, that's definitely an option to consider if you aren't set on getting hardware, Emrys. If your main thing is the Korg sound presets, $300 USD with the current sale would get you an awful lot of them in software format.

Not clear to me whether they are NKS enabled for Komplete Kontrol. That would sweeten the pot too.

I think thats a point to further underline. The Triton Collection for Mac/PC is a fair step to enjoy the legacy Korg sound. For $199 or $249 this a is a way to put a foot in the ocean for a Kronos or Krome shopper.

Waiting for NAMM looks like solid advice for new options.
Emrys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for NAMM is by far my best option for the moment.
It will be interesting to see what comes out in the workstation world.

I did buy the M1 from that collection!!!!!

I have yet to play one with my own fingers and ears, so, I will do that very soon.

With everything that has been said and with my having the Komplete 12 Ultimate and the Omnespehere/Keyscape that give me so much awesome sounds already, I am really going to have to decide if putting out 3+ grand will be worth it...

Thanks!!!
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrys wrote:
uy the M1 from that collection!!!

The Triton comes with all of the EXB card sounds. Holy moly, I may have to pick that up. There are a bunch of those sounds that I miss to this day.
Emrys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I mentioned in my op that I am trying to get everything I want music wise before I move upon my retirement in 2022.
I plan on moving to Bosnia , so buying equipment will be a bit more difficult than here in the states!
My point is that in reality I can wait to see what comes out before then, hopefully Korg does make needed changes to Kronos or something even better before then Wink
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look before you leap.

If You buy a Korg keyboard in the US, the warranty and free service stays in the US. Move to another country, and if you need service, I think you will end up paying.

Write to Korg to confirm
janrhansen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Look before you leap.

If You buy a Korg keyboard in the US, the warranty and free service stays in the US. Move to another country, and if you need service, I think you will end up paying.

Write to Korg to confirm

Yeah thats something to considder. Most local importers wont touch a given piece of hardware, if it has not gone thru them. Then you have to send it back and forth to another country where the serial number is registered if you ever have a faulty board.
Emrys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gearnews.com/korg-teases-a-new-synthesizer-for-the-new-year/

Any thoughts???
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pitch bend and modulation wheels, and possible vector joystick, are reminiscent of the Wavestation, or maybe it's some sort of Prologue-Minilogue XD fusion. Sample management has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: