Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will buying the Kronos be good for me?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emrys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Will buying the Kronos be good for me? Reply with quote

I have a home studio with Logic Pro, Motu 828es Audio Interface, with sounds from Omnisphere, Komplete 12 Ultimate, East West Soundcloud.
I have a Komplete 61 key keyboard.
How can I justify buying a Kronos?
Help me out! Very Happy
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard to say with out knowing your music production goals

Your VST's , esp Omnisphere might sound better

and you really should wait for NAMM 2020.

Kronos is not an 'impulse ' purchase IMO. Its a long term thing
Emrys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply,

I fell in love with Korg back in the 01W days, when I was broke but went to my music store just about everyday to play on one.
Now, I am about 2 years from retirement and planning on moving overseas upon my retirement, so, as I plan for my move I want to have, I want to have a majority of my studio equipment etc bought.
My plans are to create and present music for commercials, TV shows, movies etc.
Thanks again for your reply. I will wait for NAMM 2020, as that is a great idea!
Emrys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I fell in love with Korg back in the 01W days, when I was broke but went to my music store just about everyday to play on one.
Now, I am about 2 years from retirement and planning on moving overseas upon my retirement, so, as I plan for my move I want to have, I want to have a majority of my studio equipment etc bought.
Thanks again for your reply. I will wait for NAMM 2020, as that is a great idea!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrys wrote:
GregC wrote:

I am retired. Your plan and where I am at are similar. Close to 70 original instrumentals, 100% Kronos, on SoundCloud. My stuff is suitable for a variety of background purposes. My stats tell me, there are are some parties playing 30-40 songs in a row. Its all free, of course, and I have no problem.
Emrys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am retired. Your plan and where I am at are similar. Close to 70 original instrumentals, 100% Kronos, on SoundCloud. My stuff is suitable for a variety of background purposes. My stats tell me, there are are some parties playing 30-40 songs in a row. Its all free, of course, and I have no problem.[/quote]

I have listened to a few of your songs on SoundCloud. You have a nice groove.
Maybe I was follow your lead and see what happens in NAMM coming up next year, then decide then since I am no big hurry!
Thanks Greg C, much appreciated!
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Wise decision.

In a meantime while you wait for for NAMM 2020, check the following:

DIVA -> https://u-he.com/products/diva/
ZEBRA2 -> https://u-he.com/products/zebra2/
DUNE 3 https://www.synapse-audio.com/dune3.html

They are fully tagged and NKS-ready !

Official Demos:

DIVA -> https://youtu.be/-PO84tYA6mA
ZEBRA2 -> https://youtu.be/QfgoQYVP010
DUNE 3 -> https://youtu.be/eU9-EG4u-KA

You cannot go wrong with one of those, a perfect addition to your needs.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will buying the Kronos be good for me? Reply with quote

Emrys wrote:
I have a home studio with Logic Pro, Motu 828es Audio Interface, with sounds from Omnisphere, Komplete 12 Ultimate, East West Soundcloud.
I have a Komplete 61 key keyboard.
How can I justify buying a Kronos?
Help me out! Very Happy

To my opinon, if you want a ready and easy to use unit, don't go to the Kronos. As Greg said, Kronos is a long term investment.
Though, you could have a look to Arturia V collection : https://www.arturia.com/store/analog-classics/v-collection
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait. What? This is the Kronos board on Korg Forums and we're going to advise someone who wants a little extra push to purchase a K not to buy one? Isn't that what the Yamaha forums are for? Smile

I was in your situation almost exactly 2 years ago. I had a pile of other excellent hardware and software musical gear (still do). NAMM was just around the corner. I went ahead and bought a Kronos and I have no regrets about my decision. I use it a lot!

What are you hoping to get from adding Kronos to your arsenal? Maybe we can help confirm or deny that it will do that for you.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few acquaintances that use the ' buy and try ' approach, essentially demo'g the keyboard for 25 days in their home.

IOW, US retailers, [ always read fine print] give you a 30 day return/full refund.

even so, 25 days is hardly enough time to understand Kronos basics. I hesitate
suggesting someone to wing it for 25 days. Its too easy to miss a return deadline.

If it were me, I would spend a few hours on absorbing Kronos basics. Its going to sound good- great, for sure. The real work is getting a handle on it and getting productive on it.

I like the idea of waiting for NAMM. There is potentially more interesting news to read. But once we get to Jan 16/17, I think its ok to push the credit card # around.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
... The real work is getting a handle on it and getting productive on it.

And make sure his setup ( Logic, Motu, NI ... etc ) live in harmony with Kronos ... (?)
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point about being a long term purchase was a significant factor for me.

I'm a guitarist but wanted to get into playing more keys (as opposed to sequencing stuff in my DAW, which I'd always done in the past). I don't gig anymore and spend my time in the studio or just playing.

I knew I'd be playing a lot of piano and B3 and I've been very happy with those sounds. I also have an 88 weighted key MIDI controller. In terms of playability it's not bad, but it feels like a toy compared to the Kronos.

I've barely scratched the surface of the synth engines, horns, Karma, etc., but that was the whole point for me. Instead of buying something less expensive, playing it for awhile, then leveling up to the next thing, over and over, I wanted something that I wouldn't outgrow anytime soon (if ever, given my chops). The Kronos has been exactly that.

So, a lot of it comes down to priorities and desire. If you want to buy something that just meets a specific need and nothing more, you can accomplish that for less money. If you want something that will serve you for a long time in a wide variety of ways, this is the kind of thing you're looking for.

Of course, easy for me to say when I'm spending someone else's money. Smile
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Emrys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer;;;;;. What? This is the Kronos board on Korg Forums and we're going to advise someone who wants a little extra push to purchase a K not to buy one? Isn't that what the Yamaha forums are for? Smile

I found that really funny and see that you got it lol
I was looking for that 'extra push' you mentioned!!!

Chris Duncan:::If you want something that will serve you for a long time in a wide variety of ways, this is the kind of thing you're looking for.

Exactly! The fact is that I have been slowly building my 'dream' music studio by buying what I have always wanted. The Keyboard is a piece I want to grow into.

Poseidon:::::... make sure his setup ( Logic, Motu, NI ... etc ) live in harmony with Kronos ... (?)

THAT is EXACTLY where my fears lie....I want to make sure I can make everything work together!!!

Last but not least....

Greg C....The real work is getting a handle on it and getting productive on it.

I have read that it has a steep learning curve.

Thanks so much everyone for your valuable input
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as your studio living in harmony with the Kronos, you already have a DAW and an audio interface, so that makes it easier.

My personal preference (because there are many ways to do things in the studio) is to interface with the Kronos via old school MIDI rather than trying to work via USB, which can be hit or miss for people.

I run Cubase in Windows and I let my audio interface handle the audio. I connect MIDI cables to the Kronos, and a stereo pair of audio outputs from the Kronos to a couple of inputs on my audio interface. It's a very simple and trouble free setup for me.

That said, because I use a DAW and an audio interface, I don't use or depend on that functionality from the Kronos. It's a full workstation cable of doing audio recording, etc. and being the master of its own universe, but for me it's just a keyboard in my overall studio setup.

Don't know your workflow or preferences, but this is at least one way that it can live in harmony with your studio with very little in the way of setup and connectivity.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Emrys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
As far as your studio living in harmony with the Kronos, you already have a DAW and an audio interface, so that makes it easier.

My personal preference (because there are many ways to do things in the studio) is to interface with the Kronos via old school MIDI rather than trying to work via USB, which can be hit or miss for people.

I run Cubase in Windows and I let my audio interface handle the audio. I connect MIDI cables to the Kronos, and a stereo pair of audio outputs from the Kronos to a couple of inputs on my audio interface. It's a very simple and trouble free setup for me.

That said, because I use a DAW and an audio interface, I don't use or depend on that functionality from the Kronos. It's a full workstation cable of doing audio recording, etc. and being the master of its own universe, but for me it's just a keyboard in my overall studio setup.

Don't know your workflow or preferences, but this is at least one way that it can live in harmony with your studio with very little in the way of setup and connectivity.

That's pretty much how I plan to use my Kronos if I buy it....
If I get it can I PM you if I have any connection issues?
Thanks so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: