Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg wavestate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
afr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Korg wavestate Reply with quote

Here one of the news

https://i.imgur.com/CQ8oG6f.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/U65hJQp.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/0USD0A6.jpg?1
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This keybed fits what was a teaser for tomorrow 7th.
So no new Prologue something....

Thanks.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, nice. I look forward to hearing more about this.

For me that's a million times more exciting than a prologue. PCM based synthesis is far more interesting than analogue to me. Wonder if this puppy will take end user samples too. Hmmm, interesting.

Regards
Sharp.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Oh wow, nice. I look forward to hearing more about this.

For me that's a million times more exciting than a prologue. PCM based synthesis is far more interesting than analogue to me. Wonder if this puppy will take end user samples too. Hmmm, interesting.

Regards
Sharp.

Yes Sharp but unfortunately, this keyboard is a new evidence that Korg is nowadays unable to invent a real new kb. Almost all parts of this Wavestate are coming from old concepts and Oasys could already do the same 14 years ago !!

One very positive thing though, is that this kb will be very more affordable. But many people would prefer to buy some more performant VST like Xfer Serum, for 190 $. This VST is able to do real wavemorphing and for what I know, Wavestate can't.

I am not happy with that but it's the reality.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Wonder if this puppy will take end user samples too.

I was lucky enough to work on Wavestate and user samples was one of the first things I asked about. While sound designers could get their sounds into the synth, it currently does not support user samples. That said it's not completely out of the question. I'm not sure if Korg will implement user samples or not and suggest that people take the unit as is for now. It ships with a large sample library so it should have something close to whatever you would want to upload.

Liviou2004 wrote:
Almost all parts of this Wavestate are coming from old concepts and Oasys could already do the same 14 years ago !!

Think of Wavestate as a bounced and enhanced version of HD-1. The first enhancement is in the way it handles modulations. You simply assign whatever modulator you want to just about any parameter you want! And you can plug multiple mod sources into the same destination which in a sense does away with AMS summing mixers.

The second big innovation is a departure from the more static Wavesequences you find in the Kronos, which are set in a single lane loop. With the aptly named "Wavesequencing 2.0" you get to break up attributes polyrhythmically for more dynamic/evolving performance. Attributes are divided into lanes each with their own step length. So you won't get the same attributes looping at the same rate. Patterns only repeat on the least common multiple for all lanes involved so with six or seven attribute lanes all having different step lengths you can potentially have a least common multiple of such an astronomically high number that you're liable to never run into a repetition!

Korg also thought about how that might be problematic and offer a Master lane that can reset all lanes after a specified number of beats in order to tame some randomness. And not all lanes have to adhere to the Master lane! It's a very different little monster and people who get really into it are going to end up thinking about their synthesis sound design in a very different way from the many wavetable synths that have been hitting the market.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavestate should have 49-keys. Bare minimum !
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Sharp wrote:

I was lucky enough to work on Wavestate and user samples was one of the first things I asked about. While sound designers could get their sounds into the synth, it currently does not support user samples. That said it's not completely out of the question. I'm not sure if Korg will implement user samples or not and suggest that people take the unit as is for now. It ships with a large sample library so it should have something close to whatever you would want to upload.

Liviou2004 wrote:
Almost all parts of this Wavestate are coming from old concepts and Oasys could already do the same 14 years ago !!

Think of Wavestate as a bounced and enhanced version of HD-1. The first enhancement is in the way it handles modulations. You simply assign whatever modulator you want to just about any parameter you want! And you can plug multiple mod sources into the same destination which in a sense does away with AMS summing mixers.

The second big innovation is a departure from the more static Wavesequences you find in the Kronos, which are set in a single lane loop. With the aptly named "Wavesequencing 2.0" you get to break up attributes polyrhythmically for more dynamic/evolving performance. Attributes are divided into lanes each with their own step length. So you won't get the same attributes looping at the same rate. Patterns only repeat on the least common multiple for all lanes involved so with six or seven attribute lanes all having different step lengths you can potentially have a least common multiple of such an astronomically high number that you're liable to never run into a repetition!

Korg also thought about how that might be problematic and offer a Master lane that can reset all lanes after a specified number of beats in order to tame some randomness. And not all lanes have to adhere to the Master lane! It's a very different little monster and people who get really into it are going to end up thinking about their synthesis sound design in a very different way from the many wavetable synths that have been hitting the market.

Thank you Charles,
Sorry but I don't see any enchancement from HD-1. As you can stack several wavesequences, (in particular in Combi mode) each one with its own rythm pattern, modulate each start point as you wish, creating random triggers in GATE mode with Karma, etc...I don't see where could be the enhancement.

Of course, as you have played on it and as you master the Kronos very well, I can just trust you ! But for what I heard in the different videos and sonic example I don't heard something the Kronos couldn't perform.

On another side, if it's a real HD-1 enhancement, perhpas we can hope a Kronos firmware update soon !! We can have a dream !

At the same moment, Modal releases Argon 8, a wavestable synth wich is said to perform wave morphing and filter morphing, aftertouch KB, for about the same price. That said, I'm not sure if it is true !!
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Sharp wrote:

Liviou2004 wrote:

Your experiences with it sounds absolutely fantastic, i hope it's released soon in my country.
RKfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NVBHmQfRw

Video
RKfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: More vids Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1H8BnPp4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASIDeqSG1z4
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one but what about a desktop or rackmount version?

Seems that would be a no brainer as the keyboard is just for keys.

Mod wheel and pitch is already above.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg wavestate Reply with quote

afr wrote:
Here one of the news

https://i.imgur.com/CQ8oG6f.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/U65hJQp.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/0USD0A6.jpg?1

This guy is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1H8BnPp4Q
ensoniqts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coool!!
I'm glad it's not another analog synth
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice one from KORG.
Wish they also had a desktop module version.
The keys may be full size, but three octaves is not enough.
hans1966

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I really liked this demonstration that this guy does. I don't know what you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3qcOrgoE2A

I choose the Peace of God!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: