Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 88 height=5.8" including rubber feet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chromatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Kronos 88 height=5.8" including rubber feet? Reply with quote

I am considering buying a Kronos 88 and I have learned a lot from this wonderful forum!

My computer/music desk has a sliding keyboard controller shelf which only has 5.75" of height clearance. The Korg website lists the height of Kronos 88 as 5.8"---does this number include the rubber feet on the bottom?

From photos I have seen on this forum, the rubber feet look like they are 1cm high approximately.....so if I can use shorter rubber feet that might be a solution for me if 5.8" includes the rubber feet.

Thank you,
Charles
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a measurement tape. This is what I have measured with my Kronos 2 88:

1.- The Kronos' body is about 14 cm high.
2.- The rubber feet are about 1cm.

So that would give you about 15cm *but* the knobs are 1,7cm high. My bet is that you need about 17-18cm. That's about 6'5-7 inches Sad

Last edited by fomalhaut on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured my K1 88 and got just under 6".

5.75" sounds right, without the 5 round rubber feet.

I don't see any margin of error . Too close to call from here.

I think you can remove the 5 rubber feet without consequence - other than getting scrapes on your desk from the K
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the dimensions from the official Kronos website:

Quote:

61 key: 1,040 x 364 x 134 mm / 40.94” x 14.33” x 5.28”
73 key: 1,221 x 371 x 148 mm / 48.07” x 14.61” x 5.83”
88 key: 1,443 x 371 x 148 mm / 56.42” x 14.61” x 5.83”

I guess the 148mm is equivalent to my "about 15cm" (I can't measure tens of mm Razz) so that would be including the rubber feet.

My main worry would be the height of the surface control knobs, they can be replaced but anyway seems that your available space is a little bit constrained for the K.

Edit: and the vector joystick!
chromatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I did not consider the height of the knobs--that will definitely be a problem.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chromatic,

Even it the Kronos can fit on your sliding shelf, a bigger concern IMHO is its solidity. The RH3 88-key version is over 50 lbs, so you definitely do not want to place your expensive keyboard on a sliding shelf supported by tiny screws and plastic wheels. So make sure it is very solid, especially if you often practice pieces with fortissimo 8-note chords with both hands.

Begin with something that's cheap and easily replaceable, for example placing five 10-lbs potato bags on the shelf and "playing on them". That's what your shelf will have to withstand ! Cool
chromatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi Chromatic,

Even it the Kronos can fit on your sliding shelf, a bigger concern IMHO is its solidity....So make sure it is very solid, especially if you often practice pieces with fortissimo 8-note chords with both hands.

Begin with something that's cheap and easily replaceable, for example placing five 10-lbs potato bags on the shelf and "playing on them". That's what your shelf will have to withstand ! Cool

Thank you for the reply. My music desk is made for a heavy 88 key controller, from Bazel Studio Desk.com, and it has served my 54 lb Kurzweil keyboard very well for the past few years, so it should be wonderful for the Kronos if it can accommodate the height. My Kurz died after 5 years so I am looking for a new 88 key synth and the Kronos looks top notch!

There is a height adjustment to the keyboard shelf that I noticed today, it can lower to 6.75" clearance--so I might take a chance and order a Kronos 88 and see if I can get it to fit with smaller rubber feet.....but I will wait 2 more weeks til NAMM to see if a new Kronos is announced.

thank you again for the helpful replies!

-Charles
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Chromatic,

Glad to read your desk is a solid one as it's very important. Very Happy

It will for sure work with the Kronos, given your Kurzweil was about the same weight.

Oh and BTW welcome to the forums ! Lots of info can be found here. Take care.
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chromatic"]
KK wrote:
Hi Chromatic,

Thank you for the reply. My music desk is made for a heavy 88 key controller, from Bazel Studio Desk.com, and it has served my 54 lb Kurzweil keyboard very well for the past few years

You can also ask the desk manufacturer, surely you are not the first to try to fit a Kronos in their product.

Those desks look nice! Which model is yours?
chromatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fomalhaut"]
chromatic wrote:
KK wrote:
Hi Chromatic,

Thank you for the reply. My music desk is made for a heavy 88 key controller, from Bazel Studio Desk.com, and it has served my 54 lb Kurzweil keyboard very well for the past few years

You can also ask the desk manufacturer, surely you are not the first to try to fit a Kronos in their product.

Mine is the 'Chester NR 88'. I don't think they make this exact desk anymore, but the Amadeus model looks very similar:

https://www.bazelstudiodesk.com/product-page/amadeus-composer-desk

I like my desk a lot--super solid, built like a tank!!

-Charles
chromatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fomalhaut"]
chromatic wrote:
KK wrote:
Hi Chromatic,

Mine is the 'Chester NR 88'. I don't think they make this exact desk anymore, but the Amadeus model looks very similar:

https://www.bazelstudiodesk.com/product-page/amadeus-composer-desk

I like my desk a lot--super solid, built like a tank!!

-Charles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: