Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I exchange my Kronos 2 for 73 keys?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KronosEnthusiastXT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Should I exchange my Kronos 2 for 73 keys? Reply with quote

I currently have a 61 keys and I always had 61 Keys keyboards before.
I want to exchange it with the 73 model to learn on weighted keys (make my fingers stronger) and to future proof because at some point I want to split sounds between the keys and don’t want to worry about octaves and such. Are the keys longer depth?
How heavy are they to press??

The shop where I bought it from they don’t have the 73 model to try...

Any advice??
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why cutting in the middle ? If you're a keyboard player : 88 is the thing.

Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes find it difficult to split even just two zones on 88 keys. Laughing So then I use two 88-key controllers - my K2 and my old indestructible MIDIboard. Cool
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above experienced Kronos owners on size.

I assume you are in learning mode- lets assume playing for 1- 3 years.
I encourage you to sit back and think what your goals are.

For example, if you want to become skilled on piano, an 88 is a must.

If you gig some yrs in the future, you can always determine your keyboard requirements.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add point :
The 73 and 76 keys keyboards were made first by electric pianos manufacturers and later some other manufacturers have thought that it will be a good format for those who gig and want to take more easily in their cars than a 88 keys.
Within long years I have had only 61 keys synths keyboards but now I must admit that the 88 keys is a must and yes : it makes the fingers strongers and every sheet music are made for 88 keys

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Perilous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try keeping the Kronos 61 and getting an 88 controller like the Kawai ES110 or the Korg D1. I find those boards to have a friendly hammer-action weight to them. Just one midi cable and BLOUGH! Couldn't be simpler. When I switched from Kronos 88 to 61, it was a huge hassle (shipping delays and damages).

That Roland RD-88 looks pretty cool, too,
but too capable and expensive just to be a controller.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Should I exchange my Kronos 2 for 73 keys? Reply with quote

KronosEnthusiastXT wrote:
I currently have a 61 keys and I always had 61 Keys keyboards before.
I want to exchange it with the 73 model to learn on weighted keys (make my fingers stronger) and to future proof because at some point I want to split sounds between the keys and don’t want to worry about octaves and such. Are the keys longer depth?
How heavy are they to press??

The shop where I bought it from they don’t have the 73 model to try...

Any advice??

Before taking your decision, I suggest you to consider two things :

1°) Weight and size

2°) But above all : the difference between the playing sensations, which are absolutely not the same. The RH3 keyboard (K 73 and 8Cool, is an heavy-keys one, supposed to simulate a piano keyboard. So the Kronos engineers had to find a kind of compromise so as to offer simultaneously a synth and a piano sensation.
As I am basicaly a piano player, I absolutely wanted this kind of keyboard. But I'm not completely satisfied with the RH3 on the typical synth sounds when they requier the all range of velocity (MIDI CC velocity from 0 to 127).
So later on, I've bought a synth with light keyboard (the Studiologic Seldge) wich controls the Kronos, with Midi In, when I need it, for these kind of sounds, speed and light touch.
(Concernning the keyboard range, a 73 notes K was enough for my usage).

In conclusion, I really advice you to test the K 73 or K88 before selling your K61, and make your own opinion.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Studiologic SL88 Studio to add 88 key kinda-sorta weighted action to my Kronos 61. It works well.

But figure out what it is you want to do before you spend all that money on gear you might never use.
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good advice up above. I have a K2 73, and I couldn’t imagine having to drag around an 88 key Kronos around much for gigging or practices... my 73 is enough of a beast for me. The extra real estate is great, but the bulk factor is a tough trade-off for some.

I like the weight of my 73, and for organ/synth/lead stuff I use my TE 61 up top as a midi slave. The Kronos makes a great master, and I have the added benefit of having a backup capable of making sounds on its own should something go sideways.

I think the suggestion above from Xenophile bears merit, since you already have the Kronos, but I suppose a lot of this depends on the types of music you’re playing. If you play a lot of piano or EP parts then the weighting may have more significance. If it is mostly for practice as your OP suggests, then this should give you the results you seek.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Yamaha P-80 MIDI'd to my Kronos 61 note. I like the Graded Hammer Effect action from Yamaha and the P-80 is one of the smallest form factor used with this action. They can be had for around $300~$400 or so.

Cheap enough that I have two so I can leave one at Church and only have to bring the lighter 61 note Kronos. (In fact, I bought a second K61 so I don't move anything) Very Happy

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: