Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C0 on an 88 key

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: C0 on an 88 key Reply with quote

Hey, guys.

I recently picked up the Vienna Smart Orchestra vst plugin. Cubase maps middle C to C4, which is fine. On the VSO UI C8 corresponds to the very top note of the Kronos.

The problem is that the very bottom note of the Kronos is C1, and the VSO keyswitches are at C0.

I tried setting middle C to C3 in VSO, but that doesn't help as now the keyswitches show up as C-1 and are still out of reach.

How do you handle keyswitches? Do you reprogram some of the Kronos buttons to serve as keyswitches, or is there some other pro tip?

Would be grateful for any suggestions.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
narkosys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching some YouTube posts by a composer and he ran into your problem when using VSO.

His solution was to use an Akai MPC Mini as the bottom two rows are already pre-mapped to c-2 upwards.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If using the Kronos as a MIDI keyboard only, one of the default settings for the piano Programs is the use of button A to go down 1 octave.

The Kronos pads could also be set to send notes down around C0.
narkosys

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
If using the Kronos as a MIDI keyboard only, one of the default settings for the piano Programs is the use of button A to go down 1 octave.

The Kronos pads could also be set to send notes down around C0.

forgot about that. yeah, you can use a nanopad2 and then edit the pads to send the needed keyswitches.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

I tried a number of approaches under the cleverness category, both with the Kronos and some options in Cubase and VSO.

Part of the problem is that they use a two octave range for key switching, so even freeing up the bottom octave wasn't enough.

Ultimately I did a variation of Narkosys' suggestion and have a little two octave keyboard on the way. This Akai seems to be well regarded and is a very small footprint.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJ6QAO2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully that will be that.

Appreciate all the help.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: