Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you buy a Korg Pa4X today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keymn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
It gets a bit expensive carrying a COMPLETE backup everything, especially if carting it around in the vehicle. I mean, what’s the point of a duplicate PA4X if you don’t carry a duplicate mixer, duplicate speakers, duplicate microphones, duplicate effects, etc.?

Any one of these things going dead at the gig can stop the show.

Yes, a duplicate arranger at home, staying in mint condition is always a good idea, and I do mean exact duplicate... what’s the point of a different model that won’t read your Songbook and sample sets and requires a lot of work to set up to do your gig? That’s not ‘backup’, that’s a different rig! But it starts to get obsessive if you carry two of everything to a gig in the event of the failure of anything.

I’ve had things fail occasionally. But it’s so seldom that hauling two of everything to ensure beyond a possibility that nothing stops your show isn’t really worth it. The event organizer has always been understanding. After all, they get failures too. Had events cancelled because of power failure, catering trucks breaking down (that’s a point... carry your duplicate everything in a duplicate vehicle?!) etc.. I understood.

Sure, at the high end of the pay scale the show MUST go on. But that pays enough that full show duplication is affordable. Tough to justify that at a local level...

I am quite confident with the pa1000 for backup. Utilize the same songbook numbers on PA3x. Pretty much plug and play...I use SongBook Plus app on iPad and have the Irig Blueboard pedals to do song page turning/selection and another for arranger controls.
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Breeze,
The biggest limitation on any keyboard you purchase will be your own ability. On a personal level, the PA4X has everything I could ever need but what limits me is my ability as a player and my inability to grasp the technical side of the instrument. That said, the pleasure I get from playing is immeasurable. The longer I spend on the PA4X, the more time I want to spend with it and the more engrossed and involved I get with it.

One of the benefits of a flagship keyboard (that's nearly five years old) is that there is a mass of additional software (mostly free) consisting of styles, samples, pads, etc available for download. There are Forums like this one where virtually every question you could think of has already been asked (and answered). You would also get an amazing price on a new model (or an even better price on a used model). Just be careful deciding if you want a 61 note or 76 note keyboard.
The PA4X (61 note) I purchased came loaded with theatre organ (TTT) and church organ samples and the user sections were filled with approximately 450 additional styles all included in the purchase price.

I would like to ask you one question as so many Forum Members have taken the time to respond to your question. How sure are you in these uncertain times that Korg will even consider making a replacement for the PA4X ?

Personally, I don't think Korg will replace the PA4X this year. We are currently on Version 3 of the O/S and my guess is they will release a Version 4 O/S eventually to keep the keyboard 'current' and try and ride the imminent recession.
Chris
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keymn wrote:

I am quite confident with the pa1000 for backup. Utilize the same songbook numbers on PA3x. Pretty much plug and play...I use SongBook Plus app on iPad and have the Irig Blueboard pedals to do song page turning/selection and another for arranger controls.

Which kind of begs the question... if the PA1000 is plug and play identical backup, why pay extra for the PA3x?

If you aren’t using enough of the extra sounds and features in the TOTL to really miss them, and have a fair bit of disruption in your show, what’s the point? I guess maybe the PA1000 might be a pretty fair backup for a 3x, but what about 4x users and NEXT, etc.?

I’ve always felt that anything that makes me do ANYTHING more than turn it on and do my exact same show wasn’t really backup, so I’ve always gone for two of the same model. But I’m happy you can use a newer MOTL model to backup an older TOTL model acceptably...
taichi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the opening post I think. Pa4X blows my mind every day when I sit down and play it. I can`t believe what I am hearing especially after adjusting the EQ settings. It is just in a different league from any other keyboard on the market.

You can wait for years and there will be nothing better. My Pa4x and Pa1000 will last me for the rest of my life, what an investment. Can`t say that about my cars and other things I have bought.

So yes go for it.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i didn’t have a Genos, i would..

Even tough i realize that a pa5x is just around the corner..
A mint used pa4x is what i would aim for..

You cant go wrong with any of the 3 top arrangers available today..
(Number 3 being the ketron sd9)
pinaklonkar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of buying an open box PA4X arranger...I’m very new here so please go easy.

I’ve never owned a KORG before. I have a Yamaha PSR-S750 arranger that I like but I don’t use it a lot because it has little to none ethnic, ready to play styles (e.g. with Indian tabla) and rich sounding tones (e.g. Sitar). As much as I like to tinker with electronics, I do not think I have the time or patience for a synthesizer. Even an arranger workstation can be a bit much for me.

I came across Reverb website lately, and I’ve been looking at KORG PA4X for a couple of reasons. And questions:

1) Indian pack sounds great albeit very steep in price, what’s up with that? ($350)

2) Microphone input seems cool - or is it more a gimmick?

3) 76-keys. The 61-keys feels restrictive at times especially for left hand chords. My reason to rule out PA1000

4) While it doesn’t have speakers, I feel it should be straightforward to connect my Bose Companion PC speakers to them? I don’t want to invest in Korg’s PAAS speakers.

5) Excellent condition Open box or used prices are hovering around $2800-$3200 where as brand new ones are $4200-$4500. Thoughts on why the difference is that much?

All in all, would it be a decent upgrade over Yamaha PSR-S750 for a home music enthusiast who just wants to record a few loops, compose some tracks, and play songs by ear (e.g. old Indian movie songs I grew up listening to)? Or do you think PA1000 should suffice?

Really appreciate any insight you can give me.

Thank you
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Samples are very much a supply vs demand thing. Not that big a market for ethnic instruments compared to something like a piano or drum kits... Keep shopping around, there’s always the chance you can find something more affordable. But if the pack is top quality, it still sounds worth it.

2) The mic input is very serious! But I’m not sure if the harmonizer can deal with ethnically tuned scales if that’s what you might need. Check the manual.

3) Agree. Hold out for a 76, especially if you play piano.

4) Should be easy to connect any kind of powered speakers you want. The more full range, the better. In truth, without a sub, I’d say those Bose won’t sound that good unless very quiet. But they’ll do for now. Add a cheap powered sub ASAP!

5) Used prices are once again a very much supply/demand thing. I wouldn’t be surprised that the current COVID crisis is pushing a lot more used high end arrangers onto the market as pro musicians struggle to find work, so that’s probably depressing used value. A good time to buy, in other words!

Only you can decide whether what you want to do necessitates the PA4X or 1000, obviously, it’s a lot better. Can you afford one? Then get it..! You might get a 1000 and find you need more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: