Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese piano

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Japanese piano Reply with quote

I've been working on a simple rock / honky tonk thing that has guitar, piano and B3. When I sit down to just play, it's usually the German grand as it sounds richer and more resonant to my admittedly uneducated ears. However, I have to do some EQ to get it to sit in the mix, so I thought I'd try the Yamaha since that's a favorite for rock bands, presumably because it's brighter and can better cut through a guitar-centric mix.

The German grand sounds like a million bucks. The Berlin grand is also excellent, a bit tighter of a sound but still rich. The Kronos Japanese grand sounds like a children's toy run through a cheap chorus pedal.

To get as apples to apples as I could, I set the volume at 127 to match the German grand and also opened the lid. I'm sure there are many contexts in which it would serve well, and I understand it's a C rather than D sized piano, but I'm still surprised at the difference in quality.

Is this just how a Yamaha actually sounds and I don't know any better, or is the Japanese grand the red-headed stepchild of Kronos piano sounds?
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I share the same general opinion about Korg's Japanese grand. I've played real Yamaha grands which sounded great, even one with an impressive and wonderful dark tone. When I bought the Italian grand for my Kronos, I deleted the Japanese piano because to my ears it became totally useless.

Also, because the Berlin and Italian grands offer more velocity layers, they can be programmed with more expressivity than the older ones (German & Japanese). I hear the Berlin with an overall stronger and darker timbre. On the other hand, the Italian has instead lots of brilliance and comes out easily even in a big band situation.
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi Chris,

I share the same general opinion about Korg's Japanese grand. I've played real Yamaha grands which sounded great, even one with an impressive and wonderful dark tone.

I always liked the Yamaha grand pianos I’ve played - great consumer-grade instruments IMHO.

Quote:
When I bought the Italian grand for my Kronos, I deleted the Japanese piano because to my ears it became totally useless.

I’ve thought about doing so, as I haven’t found a need to this point and (like most) could use some spare Program slots. Did you remove the samples and Programs? I haven’t looked into how much work it would be to track down the associated Programs, but figure it may be worth the time one evening or weekend.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
I’ve thought about doing so, as I haven’t found a need to this point and (like most) could use some spare Program slots. Did you remove the samples and Programs? I haven’t looked into how much work it would be to track down the associated Programs, but figure it may be worth the time one evening or weekend.

The whole thing can be done quickly (like an hour), depending how full is your unit and how much you are used to the saving stuff on the Kronos. The Italian Grand contains just 32 programs, so it's easy to find space for the ones you like.

About the Japanese, yes I completely erased it from my K2, programs and samples. It uses about 5 GB of disk space and 150 Mb of RAM. If I ever miss its weird timbre someday, I can simply go in the factory folder and resuscitate it. Also, if you have a PC, with the great TidyKronos freeware you can quickly find out which programs use which sample library and more.
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I’m very familiar with the file management and idiosyncrasies, so I figured it wouldn’t be too challenging for me.

Unfortunately I’ve requested the download link for TidyKronos a few times now and have yet to elicit a response, and I have yet to find it hosted somewhere.

I’m intimately familiar, however, with the fabulous PCG Tools and figure I could use it to help the cleanup.

Appreciate the input - you’ve helped convince me to dive in and pull it.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
Thanks. I’m very familiar with the file management and idiosyncrasies, so I figured it wouldn’t be too challenging for me.

Unfortunately I’ve requested the download link for TidyKronos a few times now and have yet to elicit a response, and I have yet to find it hosted somewhere.

Hi there, I have newly signed up in this great forum, after hhaving hung around for a while..so, "hello" to you all.

I have picked up on the subject of TidyKronos - appreciated if someone can drive the tool if the developer is not reachable anymore. When one goes to his homepage (http://www.diesemusik.de/) it redirects you somewhere else.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackForest wrote:
I have picked up on the subject of TidyKronos - appreciated if someone can drive the tool if the developer is not reachable anymore. When one goes to his homepage (http://www.diesemusik.de/) it redirects you somewhere else.

Contact him by email to get a copy.

On his site, he clearly specifies : Also the software may not be spread except by the developer. It may not be uploaded to web sites, peer to peer networks, spread by email or by other means without permission of the developer.
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KK"]
BlackForest wrote:
Contact him by email to get a copy.

Been there, done that unfortunately. I’ve sent at least two but didn’t receive a response.

I’ll try it again.
Basspig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered recently, that the Berlin grand piano tone can be easily brightened up with knob 8 when you press the Tone Adj/EQ button. It gets really bright and jangly when knob 8 is cranked fully CW. I never knew about this until I accidentally discovered the feature this week.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
Been there, done that unfortunately. I’ve sent at least two but didn’t receive a response.

I’ll try it again.

Hi there,

He is a member here on the forums so I just PM'ed him to reply. Hopefully we will soon get news about him.
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
tunaman wrote:

I’ll try it again.

Hi there,

He is a member here on the forums so I just PM'ed him to reply. Hopefully we will soon get news about him.

Oh, that is great - thank you! I’ve seen enough threads extolling the virtues to know it would be a valuable addition.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basspig wrote:
I just discovered recently, that the Berlin grand piano tone can be easily brightened up with knob 8 when you press the Tone Adj/EQ button. It gets really bright and jangly when knob 8 is cranked fully CW. I never knew about this until I accidentally discovered the feature this week.

I'll have to play with that, thanks!
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
BlackForest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
KK wrote:
tunaman wrote:

I’ll try it again.

Hi there,

Oh, that is great - thank you! I’ve seen enough threads extolling the virtues to know it would be a valuable addition.

Have you had any success here contacting the developer?

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
tunaman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackForest wrote:

Yeah, KK was able to reach him here, and I sent another request to his email via the link on his site. He sent the link, and said he had sent one previously but it was refused by my mail server.

Awesome utility and worth the effort.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
BlackForest wrote:

Yeah, KK was able to reach him here, and I sent another request to his email via the link on his site. He sent the link, and said he had sent one previously but it was refused by my mail server.

Awesome utility and worth the effort.

Nice thanks for the feedback. I've also traced him down in the forum, asking for a link earlier on, but no reply as yet.

EDIT: got a PM from him, all in the process.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: