Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to copy sub timbre to main?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narioso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:02 am    Post subject: Best way to copy sub timbre to main? Reply with quote

Only way I found so far was to go through every panel knob and switch and set to sub timbre, then do shift+write to copy panel to main on another preset.

Then go through menus back and forth to see that values are the same.

So it becomes a half hour project to do this. It happend a couple of times I did things to a sub timbre that I wanted to keep as main and have all voices for that.

A simple copy feature among Functions - could be useful for this - if Korg contemplate making further firmware updates.

The copy and browse with preview to sub timbre is brilliant, but there is none the other way that I found?
Sebo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Sigabort MIDISynth editor for Prologue that have a function to copy between timbres.

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, seems to be a good solution.
It does not happend all the time.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

£35 is a bit steep for an occasional need, never do any editing with computer since that contradicts reason to use hardware synths overall for me.

But I will have a look to find specs for sysex specs for Prologue to make a tool for this. I did this before for CX-3 v2, Hammond XK1 and XK3c etc to copy things into all presets/programs for full dumps.

Korg has good documentation for this stuff. Will be fun to do. Will see if librarians save of a program is same as sysex or binary specs, or I do it sysex way.

Offset 80-205 for timbre 1, and 206-331. Just copy content. Can even be done in a hex editor from the file if binary and not Korg 7/8-bit format.
Sebo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, is a bit pricey for just use the copy function.
To me is useful in other ways. The librarian is much better than the Korg one, and I can assign a MIDI controller to edit user oscillator parameters with knobs (the biggest reason I like this editor).

Narioso

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I am done with my tool, some minor things remain to verify, like 126 bytes swapped are correct ones.

The idea with hardware synths is gone if needing to run computer all the time as well. It's really fun to work with Prologue as is.

Just made a command line tool plgsyx.exe for windows to swap timbres, and also extract one program from a full dump to do that. You get a listing with all names, categories and if sub timbre is active and can pick one to work on further - as syx and bin.

So you just convert to binary 8 bit, according to Korg specs to look in specs what is where, to patch manually if anything you want to do. Then convert that back to korg syx format.

Or just have it all done back and forth in one go.

Easy to make a batch file and just drag and drop a syx file and they are swapped or what you want.

I post a link later.

Cakewalk has a real nice sysex manager so use that for back and forth to Prologue. And it's free.
Sebo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Cakewalk, the sysex manager is OK to save patches with the project but not for arranging the patches inside a bank...

Narioso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebo wrote:
I use Cakewalk, the sysex manager is OK to save patches with the project but not for arranging the patches inside a bank...

But Korg library manager is excellent to organize patches, I think.
- just select a bunch and drag to new location
Those that I feel at done I mark for favorite, and then move all those first. So use the rest as free to overwrite.

Even the Live sets are maintained properly rearranging order of patches.

Now more using both timbres this need came up to fix swapping timbres.
Just a quick connect and do a couple of swaps, but then return to just using Prologue standalone.
Sebo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
Sebo wrote:

But Korg library manager is excellent to organize patches, I think.
- just select a bunch and drag to new location
Those that I feel at done I mark for favorite, and then move all those first. So use the rest as free to overwrite.

Even the Live sets are maintained properly rearranging order of patches.

Now more using both timbres this need came up to fix swapping timbres.
Just a quick connect and do a couple of swaps, but then return to just using Prologue standalone.

Just if you are trying to organize the patches inside a bank, but if you try to manage patches over several banks, the Korg Librarian is a nightmare. It doesn't let you copy more than one patch a the same time... You can open more than one bank at the same time, so you can drag between banks...
You can't even selct a bunch of patches and save them individually, you have to save one by one...

metalplated

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to copy sub timbre to main? Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
Only way I found so far was to go through every panel knob and switch and set to sub timbre, then do shift+write to copy panel to main on another preset.

So it becomes a half hour project to do this. It happend a couple of times I did things to a sub timbre that I wanted to keep as main and have all voices for that.

A simple copy feature among Functions - could be useful for this - if Korg contemplate making further firmware updates.

The copy and browse with preview to sub timbre is brilliant, but there is none the other way that I found?

couldn't you just use program fetch? Save the main layer your working on then switch to sub timbre, use program fetch to recall the main layer you saved. should work I think.
metalplated

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to copy sub timbre to main? Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:

couldn't you just use program fetch? Save the main layer your working on then switch to sub timbre, use program fetch to recall the main layer you saved. should work I think.
metalplated

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to copy sub timbre to main? Reply with quote

metalplated wrote:
Narioso wrote:

SUB ON/PGM FETCH button (prologue-16 only) This enables the sub-timbre and allows you to use the program fetch function. See “Program fetch function” (p.40) for details on the program fetch function. Press this button to enable the sub-timbre, making the prologue play with two timbres (8 voices + 8 voices). The SUB ON/PGM FETCH button lights up at this time. Hold down the button to enter the program fetch function in FUNCTION mode. The SUB ON/PGM FETCH button will blink. To enable the sub-timbre on the prologue-8, use “Sub Timbre” (p.46) in PROGRAM EDIT mode. To use the program fetch function, set using “Button 2 (PROGRAM FETCH)” (p.53) in FUNCTION mode.
Narioso

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to copy sub timbre to main? Reply with quote

metalplated wrote:

Thanks, but it's the other way, getting a sub to main.

I tweaked some sub that I liked so much that I wanted to use all 8 voices on it and have as main. AFter doing this a couple of times I felt the need for a quicker way to do it than go through and setup every knob setting as preset and copy panel to main and then go through settings too.

Looked for some copy thingy over to main but did not find one.

But fixed with my utility that swaps from sysex dump instead, works really well.

The preview of subs is excellent and well done by Korg, just missed the other way too - FETCH TO MAIN.
metalplated

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to copy sub timbre to main? Reply with quote

metalplated wrote:
metalplated wrote:
Narioso wrote:

SUB ON/PGM FETCH button (prologue-16 only) This enables the sub-timbre and allows you to use the program fetch function. See “Program fetch function” (p.40) for details on the program fetch function. Press this button to enable the sub-timbre, making the prologue play with two timbres (8 voices + 8 voices). The SUB ON/PGM FETCH button lights up at this time. Hold down the button to enter the program fetch function in FUNCTION mode. The SUB ON/PGM FETCH button will blink. To enable the sub-timbre on the prologue-8, use “Sub Timbre” (p.46) in PROGRAM EDIT mode. To use the program fetch function, set using “Button 2 (PROGRAM FETCH)” (p.53) in FUNCTION mode.

also one could swap the main and sub timbre postion as well, on the edit mode there is an option to place the sub timbre in the main position and the main to the sub. If you find yourself liking the sub more and want to move it to the main position this works well. I hope I am not miss understanding the problem but it sounds like you want to be able to load the current main program into the sub timbre so that both layers are the exact same thing? Then you want to make changes from there to the sub layer to create a variation of the main timbre yes? One could then morph between the two by setting the mod wheel to main/sub balance possibly.....like a wave table? Would be really cool if the LFO and or the EG could target the main sub balance now that I'm talking about it.....come on KORG give us a real update.....love this thing but they need to address some of the user requests......multiple destinations for the mod wheel/pedal and LFO would be awesome. layer specific wheel/pitch and pedal too.
metalplated

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to copy sub timbre to main? Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
metalplated wrote:

Thanks, but it's the other way, getting a sub to main.

I tweaked some sub that I liked so much that I wanted to use all 8 voices on it and have as main. AFter doing this a couple of times I felt the need for a quicker way to do it than go through and setup every knob setting as preset and copy panel to main and then go through settings too.

Looked for some copy thingy over to main but did not find one.

But fixed with my utility that swaps from sysex dump instead, works really well.

So the main <--> sub function in the edit menu does not do this it only switches its playing position on the keybed? It doesnt actually load the sub into the main position?

The preview of subs is excellent and well done by Korg, just missed the other way too - FETCH TO MAIN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: