Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos x 73 keeps dropping midi connection / usb connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fdc

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: kronos x 73 keeps dropping midi connection / usb connection Reply with quote

has anyone had this issue with their kronos? i've recently purchased a used kronos x and use it with ableton. periodically the kronos will be working fine sending and receiving midi data and then it will "disconnect" after about an hour of working fine. i use the term disconnect in quotes because it still shows up under the device manager and shows up as connected in ableton but does not send or receive any midi data. furthermore, the kronos is not recognised after "disconnecting" by the kronos editor, and after restarting ableton it is considered unplugged.

after unplugging and plugging in the usb cable it works once again, but after about another hour it "disconnects" itself.

i have tried switching usb ports and cables. after it drops connection, booting ableton shows the midi input "KRONOS 1 KEYBOARD" as connected despite not transferring data, but shows the output "KRONOS 1 SOUND" as being disconnected. this problem is hard to reproduce as its seemingly time based however it has the effect of turning my workstation into a time bomb with a span of about 2 hours. it isnt the end of the world to unplug and plug in the workstation again to regain midi control but this has the effect of making it questionable to perform live with.

could it be that there is some sort of software interfering, or is this a hardware issue? thank you in advance
fdc

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kronos doesnt see any midi data being sent to it. i have a different keyboard i tried to use as a midi source and it does not seem to recognise any midi data sent to it. i can play vsts with the keyboard, and it works when i have local control on, but any data sent is ignored. all of the midi filters are checked. ive got no idea what to do i believe my keyboard is defective

edit i restart it and it seems to receive midi data again. i expect the connection to drop after an hour or so. wtf is going on with this thing
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. Just to check
1) All Kronos firmware updated to latest? What version?
2) All Kronos MIDI drivers updated to latest? What version?
3) You use Windows PC? (mentioned "Device manager" in your post)?
4) You said "tried different keyboards as midi source" [for Kronos?] - so does that mean, if Kronos "hangs" for midi receive, it does not recognise either USB nor DIN5 midi in?
5) You said "I can play vsts with the keyboard" - so does that meand if Kronos "hangs" for midi receive, it still sends midi over USB?

Main points to further diagnose is to pinpoint what exactly is not working with midi and what is working even if something is not working.
- Since USB B (host) is processed by separate chip it would be good to diagnose if something is wrong with that. In such case anything that goes through USB B should "hang" together - USB midi in, USB midi out, also USB sound (but not two USB A connections, those go tirectly to motherboard of Kronos)
- Otherwise if Kronos occasionally hangs just for midi receive (both from usb and DIN input) than there is probably another issue...
None of them are not easy to fix (escept firmware/software uptade cures something), but still interesting to diagnose and pinpoint further
fdc

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alland wrote:
Strange. Just to check
1) All Kronos firmware updated to latest? What version?
2) All Kronos MIDI drivers updated to latest? What version?
3) You use Windows PC? (mentioned "Device manager" in your post)?
4) You said "tried different keyboards as midi source" [for Kronos?] - so does that mean, if Kronos "hangs" for midi receive, it does not recognise either USB nor DIN5 midi in?
5) You said "I can play vsts with the keyboard" - so does that meand if Kronos "hangs" for midi receive, it still sends midi over USB?

Main points to further diagnose is to pinpoint what exactly is not working with midi and what is working even if something is not working.
- Since USB B (host) is processed by separate chip it would be good to diagnose if something is wrong with that. In such case anything that goes through USB B should "hang" together - USB midi in, USB midi out, also USB sound (but not two USB A connections, those go tirectly to motherboard of Kronos)
- Otherwise if Kronos occasionally hangs just for midi receive (both from usb and DIN input) than there is probably another issue...
None of them are not easy to fix (escept firmware/software uptade cures something), but still interesting to diagnose and pinpoint further

1. i am running 3.1.3 on my kronos
2. i have 1.15 r43e as my midi driver
3. i am using windows
4. i have tried different keyboards as a midi source by routing it through ableton. i have not tried din5 but will test it. when kronos hangs, it does not recognise usb but still sends midi data through the usb cable.
5. vsts work with the midi keyboard. if kronos hangs for receiving midi data, it still sends midi data just fine. ableton shows the kronos as having midi data routed to it, but kronos is unresponsive in itself.

i will test din5. thank you!

edit i am now realizing the subsystem firmware was not installed. i will keep an eye out to see if this fixes the issue. if this is the case, i apologise for my noob questions!

after installing the driver i have been using it for hours with no issues, this appears to have solved the issue. thank you for your help and for putting up with noob mistakes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: