Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg pa 700 polyphony problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ordaincafe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Korg pa 700 polyphony problem Reply with quote

In some rhythm, the upper sound polyphony problem happens. I have checked youtube & got a couple of posts that is the same problem is on PA 4X/1000 also. The link shared below. Is there any remedy for this problem. Please help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewvdpb6zIl8
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some styles use sounds with a lot of oscillators which means each note of them occupy more than 1 note of polyphony...
If lets say there are 3 ACC parts playing 3 notes each at the same moment and the sounds they use have 10 oscillators at the same time each we have 90 notes of polyphony just for these 3 parts, add 1-3 notes for bass and 3 to 10 notes on drums and we are at 100+ notes of polyphony already taken by the style..Now if your performance uses 3 sounds with lets say only 2 oscillators each, you occupy 6notes of polyphony for each key you press which means that if you press 4 notes at the same time you need 24 notes of polyphony and you are left with 4 free notes of polyphony.So on the next key you ll press it will steal notes from another part and so you will have cutoffs on some sounds..
Styles usually have more than 5 parts playing together so it is possible that all 128 notes get occupied by the style..The keyboards do have a clever algorithm to steal the less important notes at the time (lowest volume ones etc) but some times stealing these is not enough and so it is stealing more notes (still the less important ones but at this point they are being easily heard as the lower one have already been stopped by the algorithm)...
Hope this explains the situation which is really not an issue but a wrong way the developers are organizing/creating sounds ...I have found lots of examples in user sets where that happens and most of the times you can get the oscillator count down to more than half the simultaneous playing oscillators without almost no change in the result sound...

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg pa 700 polyphony problem Reply with quote

ordaincafe wrote:
In some rhythm, the upper sound polyphony problem happens. I have checked youtube & got a couple of posts that is the same problem is on PA 4X/1000 also. The link shared below. Is there any remedy for this problem. Please help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewvdpb6zIl8

The PA700 has the ability to use A LOT of notes in the styles. This is even more evident if you activate the Pads, that also have notes being used during playback of a style.

There is only one time in live style playing where I have noticed a slight dropout of notes when playing. It is a Country Style. I am in Variation 4, using all 4 Pads (with their own sounds/patterns playing), and using at least 1 of the Upper sounds, playing over the top. ONLY then have I had a dropout of some notes.

I also use the sequencer A LOT on my PA700 and have NEVER had an issue with note dropout.

There is a Yamaha C5 piano sample set here in the forums that I use as well that uses a lot of oscillators (24, I believe) and even when I use it in Upper 1 (and also have Strings on Upper 2 and a pad on Upper 3), I do not notice note dropping.

I suspect that occasionally, you will get some note stealing going on, but it is not an error in the machine. You are just using all 128 voices for that particular moment. This is normal.

It is funny how we have 128 notes of polyphony and yet can still find times when we want more. My original arranger back in the day had 32 notes of polyphony and it seemed to keep up with me Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: