Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preload.KSC - Programs, Combis and Set Lists GONE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually sitting on my TeX on the top tier.
Basspig

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those software suggestions, KK. I presume some sort of USB to PC connection (or maybe the connection that allows my DAW to talk to the KRONOS also carries screen information?

For me, the touch screen has also been frustrating to use. Often, I have to press a button 4 or more times before it registers. Most of the time I will hear a beep, but the dialog remains open and the process the button press was supposed to do remains pending. Sometimes I just pull the stylus from my smart phone and use that for improved accuracy.

Glasses help a tiny bit, but cataracts, floaters and strabismus (ocular misalignment, causing rotated double images) make doing any kind of precision work very challenging, especially late in the day when the eyes get tired. Sometimes I cover one eye, just to get rid of the extra, rotated image, but I often find that the one eye is obscured by a floater, or too blurry.

One thing that I wish I knew a better way to accomplish, is deleting long lists of samples. In order to make room for a sound pack, I had to delete a bank with a demo of a piano I was contemplating purchase of. Deleting the bank was easy, as changing the bank type to something else will clear the whole bank. But going into sample management and deleting four dozen or so samples is tedious to select them one by one, especially when I have to press 2-3 times to get the finger press to register a selection of one item. In a Windows environment, I just hold down a shift key and click the last file and the whole range is selected. Is there any way to select all samples in a bank for deletion?

I mainly play my instrument and I don't spend a lot of time with the mechanicals of "under the hood" so to speak, but the deeper I get involved in it, the more fascinating it is. Only problem is that a year from now, I will have forgotten 90% of what I just learned!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basspig wrote:
Thanks for those software suggestions, KK. I presume some sort of USB to PC connection (or maybe the connection that allows my DAW to talk to the KRONOS also carries screen information?

Hi Basspig !

That is correct. You use the same connection to the Kronos USB-B port (square one instead of the two rectangle shaped ones). Then all the freeware can help you organize your PCG files, writing comments in setlists, saving new ones etc, all that sitting at the computer screen with of course bigger fonts.

About the Kronos touch screen, my trick is now to use my fingernail. Feels strange at first, but with some time you can become quite precise with it and you only need to push very gently to get a response. I have astigmatism quite a bit so for sure like you I must wear glasses otherwise I don't see much. Cool

Also, about deleting lists of things on the Kronos, it is also possible to connect it via FTP if you know how it works. There are some USB/Ethernet adapters which work for the Kronos. In other words, once you connect the Kronos on your PC through FTP, the instrument's SSD appears on the computer like a "external drive", just like your C: main PC disk. Then you can browse through the directories and do stuff on the Kronos while sitting in front of your computer. Of course, you need to be very careful not to delete things that must be kept, etc.

Hope this helps.
tunaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gone through the screen calibration process? That is a menu option when you are in Global mode, and refines the alignment of the user’s touch in relation to the screen.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is unfortunately not very acurate in operating the touchscreen, even you calibrate the screen once in a whil, if you are not of the youngest or just have bad eye sight, big fingers (like me) etc. The first thing you buy AFTER the Kronos is a stylus pen, and then an usb keyboard. That little investment is prolly the best thing you can do for yourself (and for your Kronos when you are about to throw it thru the room in agrevation) when you for the 10'th time in a row hit the the wrong menu button or press the wrong letter when typing in names. Shocked
Docflick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full agreement here.

Many complain about the "unintuitive" Kronos UI, but that can be learned with time and patience.

The touchscreen usability, though, is a permanent challenge – small fonts, small check boxes, etc. So a stylus pen, a USB keyboard for text entry, and even some magnification device go a long way to helping make it slightly more efficient experience!
Current: Kronos 61 Titanium, Yamaha Montage 6, Roland Fantom, Dexibell Vivo S7 Pro, MPC Live II; Previous: Kronos 73 SE and 2 88, Yamaha Motif 6, XF, EX5, SY77, DX7 (x2), CP33, Roland JP-50, Alesis QS8
Basspig

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes use my Wacom pen or the stylus from my smartphone when I get frustrated. I have my nails cut to the quick all the time, because they break/split otherwise, so not much to point with.

A good list of freeware to make working with the Kronos a better experience.

Mine's connected via USB to a Windows 10 PC because I would use it with Cakewalk Sonar. But lately, I just favor realtime performance over sequencing, so I've been using the Kronos without even bothering to fire up a DAW.

There's a tutorial on networking the Kronos that I have had open in a tab for months. I have an old D-Link USB to Ethernet adapter that I bought in 2000 to network an old laptop. I've kept it all these years. Maybe it will enable me to get the Kronos onto my LAN. I do a lot of recording to WAV files using the sampling function to record whole songs. The output folder is on a thumb drive, which I've been moving between the Kronos and PC. Would be nice to get it networked so I can have everything write to a share drive on the PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: