Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos driver/editor/plug-in and Windows 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos driver/editor/plug-in and Windows 10 Reply with quote

Just wanted to share my experience here about making the Korg Kronos driver, editor and plug-in work in Windows 10. I'm also curious if others have them running too on their PC, which Windows version you have, etc. This because according to Korg's compatibility chart, it would seem they might not work correctly depending on which OS version you have, etc.

In my case, since my 12-years old PC has been showing more and more signs of fatigue including "blue screens of death", I've decided to get a newer one, which of course comes with (the now inevitable) Windows 10. I've worked with most Windows versions before, from 3.1 then 95, 98, ME, XP and 7. And I can confirm like countless others that W10 is by far the most annoying version to configure with its (often useless) pseudo-safety features, etc. After spending a crazy amount of time, I could finally beat its stubbornness and modify the config/registry to use the Kronos Editor, see the Kronos available in 64-bit programs, etc. I currently run the 64-bit 1909 version of W10, which is listed as not compatible.

So feel free to share your experience, positive or not, about installing and using the Kronos driver/editor/plug-in and Windows 10. Which W10 do you use, what is working or not, is it consistent with the latest Korg's compatibility chart (link below) ? Cool

Link here : https://www.korg.com/download/global/support/os/pdf/win_compatibilitychart_KORG_en.pdf
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 10 ver 1909 64bit. Not planning to upgrade before Korg confirms MIDI driver working.
Midi driver 1.15.43.01 Works OK. Kronos apperas 64 bit and 32 bit DAW, but cannot use simultanously in more than 1 DAW.
Almost lost hope Korg does anything about Win10-64 Kronos editor/plugin ...
Kronos editor - starts up but buggy (some features not working properly), dare not to use (may do unexpected things to Kronos)
Kronos plug-in - launches in some 64 bit DAW but not able to connect. Launches and connects with some 32 bit DAW but buggy as editor.
timg11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a series of threads here about the increasing incompatibility loss of support for Korg's drivers:

May 29, 2020 Watch out for Windows Update!

Mar 15, 2020 Kronos MIDI driver in Windows no longer shares between apps?

Dec 14, 2019 USB Midi Driver problems after Windows update - need HELP

Apr 14, 2018 Kronos MIDI has disappeared on my Win 10 computer! (solved)

Fixing Korg USB Midi driver issues in Windows 10 May 2019 / November 2019 Update

I think everyone understands that Korg is no longer interested in developing for the Kronos, but these drivers are common to all Korg products, so it is surprising that significant issues with drivers and compatibility would remain unfixed for so long. It has gone from months to years.
Basspig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had many back and forth chats with Korg technical support to get mine working with W10. He pointed me to a hidden URL for the updated driver that actually works, so I've been using that ever since. At the time (Feb 2020), the published drivers did not work.

I also managed to disable automatic updates by removing write protection from the registry key, changing it to disable the Windows Update watchdog, which was reenabling Windows update. I haven't had an unscheduled reboot, nor lost work to one since then. And the OS is stable and nothing gets broken without my knowledge. I still get anti virus definition updates, but otherwise, no forced shutdowns.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basspig wrote:
I also managed to disable automatic updates by removing write protection from the registry key, changing it to disable the Windows Update watchdog, which was reenabling Windows update. I haven't had an unscheduled reboot, nor lost work to one since then. And the OS is stable and nothing gets broken without my knowledge. I still get anti virus definition updates, but otherwise, no forced shutdowns.

Hi there and thanks to share your experience about this. In my case, I've found an useful little freeware which not only disables the annoying Windows 10 update processes but also lets you choose which updates you want to do, if any.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of sharing this link with us?

Basspig wrote:
I had many back and forth chats with Korg technical support to get mine working with W10. He pointed me to a hidden URL for the updated driver that actually works, so I've been using that ever since. At the time (Feb 2020), the published drivers did not work.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
hetkarika

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, so many comments and not one link, hint or trick mentioned... Very Happy So I'm still stuck with a curropt korg driver and a microscopic korg kronos editor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: