Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quiet times cause G.A.S.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Quiet times cause G.A.S. Reply with quote

Hi guys

Sorry, just a "nothing" post really but hoping all you guys are fit and well.
Sitting around playing and researching NEW gear (serious G.A.S. !!!)
Hadn't played my Kronos for a little while - more focused on my PA4X and Jupiter-80.

Even considered selling the Kronos (and don't ask me why!!)
So I fixed that problem in 2 easy steps:-

1. Switched it on
2. Played it

Anyhow, I'm simply wasting forum space however sincerely hope all is well with you all.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the title, I thought you actually bought something new!
NO don't sell your Kronos. That would definitely be an impulse decision. Have you seen the current retail price of a new Kronos in Oz lately? Must be the exchange rate.
They're nearly twice what I paid for mine.

I have to confess, I have been spending a bit during lockdown, (Victoria) Sad It's only money, what the hell. Wink

I bought a Presonus 68C surround audio interface, a Cambridge Audio portable rig subwoofer, and updated my studio computer....I thought about selling one Kronos, but I snapped myself out of that quick smart!
Trouble is, anything sent Australia Post was a disaster, but the couriers seem to be on schedule. I've stopped spending now, summer is almost here, and the beach is beckoning. Smile

Chris
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiet times can indeed cause G.A.S.

I know, for me, I have been really adding gear for both the studio and my live rig.

As most of you know, I bought a few Kross 1 units. I finally got the original Kross 1-88 back from the repair shop a couple of weeks ago. They forgot to put the bottom metal plate on bottom of the keybed! A quick message to them went unanswered for about a week, but they are going to mail it directly to me so I can put it on the machine. I have a couple of rows of duct tape covering the bottom now, but since that Kross stays in my studio on a stand, I was not terribly worried about anything getting up under there to bother the key weights.

My most recent purchase was the Alesis QS6.2, There are a number of sounds from the Alesis synths that I miss that could not be recreated on any of my other gear. When I got it in the mail, the backlight for the LCD screen was dim on the left side and the battery was dead. The dead battery wiped the User memory completely. So after a call to the seller, I got a $75 refund on it, which dropped the price of admission on the QS6.2 to about $130 USD. Not a bad score in my book. I ordered a battery for it (from Syntaur) and my daughter and I replaced it last Monday and I reloaded the User memory using MIDIOX. I took it to practice last Tuesday Smile

So, since the pandemic, I bought 8 new synths (some brand new, some are used, but new to me), an Alesis SR-16 drum machine, a full stage lighting system, additional line array PA gear (I have 4 powered line array systems now), assorted EFX processors for live and studio, a new wireless headset mic, a couple of racks for live use, and the tc helicon Perform VK harmony box (MIDI controllable).

We also paid off our house earlier than expected and I bought a used 1999 Toyota Camry with only 50K on the odometer. I finished up three albums and released one of them on CD so far. The other two are downloadable online until I get them on CD as well.

Both my wife and I were out of work due to the pandemic, but it seems to have affected my wife's work less because she is a teacher and is back to work.

Since I play at nursing homes for a living, I am pretty much out of work still, but do manage to play at a couple of homes outdoors where social distancing can still be achieved. We are looking to put some 'shows' online so the homes can log into my YT channel and grab them (or wherever I decide to host them). The cover band I am in has been playing gigs and they've all been outdoors, which is also good. Since we live in Iowa in the USA, it will start getting too cold to play outdoor gigs soon, and I suspect that we will have a rather long hiatus until it is truly safe to play indoors. I also started a trio with two singers (one plays keys as well) and I have been programming the PA700 (and the Alesis SR-16 drum machine) with over 250 MIDI sequences that we will use live when we get out to play.

I truly do not mind being home, as my daughter (13 years old) is home because we chose the option to teach her at home instead of her going to the brick and mortar school buildings. I am basically teaching her at home using a school-assigned laptop and additional study materials. She is in 8th grade now, and 7th grade was her first foray into public school, as we fully home schooled her before that anyway.

I like being home because I can get so much done around the house - I do most of the cleaning on the inside of the home and most other domestic duties are performed by me. My wife is good with that and actually prefers me to be home. I have my studio and have the chance to set up my live rig song settings for the bands I am in and dial everything in so I am 'on point' when we do gigs. It is a system that works for us.

I am 50, but feel 'retired' as far as a 'real' job goes. I can say that I 'retired' about 11 years ago to do music full-time and it has gone well.

Staying home because of the pandemic has not been a terrible problem for me because I have pretty severe asthma. It has been easy to distance myself from others. I, to my knowledge, have not had any episodes with the COVID-19, even though some of my friends have gotten it. No matter what side of the political aisle one is on, we can all say that if someone does get COVID, it can be dangerous. We have decided to play it safe.

I trust that everyone else here in the forums are safe. I would say that we must all 'rock on' and keep the music alive, no matter what gear we use Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: