Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Italian Grand
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
Has anyone here actually tried to put together playable multisamples from individual acoustic instrument samples?...I have, using samples I made from my old Deagan vibraphone, and I don't know how many hours I spent over a few weeks before I had usable multisamples...there are so many things for each sample that have to be tweaked before everything is balanced across a keyboard: volume, tone quality, velocity response, etc...

this kind of effort is expensive, and given the limited market, the sales price to the customer has to be high to recover the costs...

df

Pffft.... have you seen what's out there on software right now? Entire sets of instruments in one little box for cheaper than these overpriced korg downloads. I've had enough of acting like it's going to kill them to drag an instrument into a sound proof room and then mic it up and record it. Woe is me that's literally what any recording musician does. We record our instruments as we play them. Korg has the resources and the team to do this without even blinking.

I don't know why they want to request a premium price for their expansions but if you're asking for anything over $50 bucks you're crazy to me. Don't care how much so called work is involved. When you're charging like 1/4 price of the keyboard for some sound pak you must be huffing on something. The Kronos might be the leading workstation but it's the leading workstation because people have moved on over to using DAW's and controllers. Spending like $150-500 bucks on stuff like Keyscape and having all the keys they wants and then some galore.

The Kronos isn't just outdated but so is Korgs entire business model revolving around it. If you want to keep your workstation relevant as well as stop people from switching over to software take a page from NORD. Free library Downloads for their keyboards and they keep them fresh. They just recently put up some new library sounds. I mean give us something for being loyal Kronos users. Workstations are going the way of the dinosaur. 10 years of the Kronos is just 10 years of computers and software getting more advanced. The sounds on these Daws are beyond Kronos's capabilities to produce and the interfaces are beyond the Windows 3.1 32 bit setup Korg likes to use. I mean get with it Korg. Stop nickeling and diming your customers to buy your old sound paks for your outdated Keyboard.
Edcollante

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
dfahrner wrote:
Has anyone here actually tried to put together playable multisamples from individual acoustic instrument samples?...I have, using samples I made from my old Deagan vibraphone, and I don't know how many hours I spent over a few weeks before I had usable multisamples...there are so many things for each sample that have to be tweaked before everything is balanced across a keyboard: volume, tone quality, velocity response, etc...

this kind of effort is expensive, and given the limited market, the sales price to the customer has to be high to recover the costs...

df

Pffft.... have you seen what's out there on software right now? Entire sets of instruments in one little box for cheaper than these overpriced korg downloads.

You've hit the nail right on the head. The discounted Italian Grand is still a monumental ripoff.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...as I said, there's a lot more to making good multisamples than to just "drag an instrument into a soundproof room, mic it up, and record it"...before starting on my vibraphone project, I had tried some of the commercially-available vibraphone sample sets: some were better than others, most could be used for a fill-in vibraphone sound in an ensemble piece, but none had the subtlety and range of expression needed for live performance with a mallet controller (not much of a market for this, I guess)...and since a vibraphone has only 37 notes and a limited tonal range, I can imagine that sampling the full range of a premium 88-key piano is much more involved...

Korg certainly has better resources for doing this than I do, I don't know anything about Korg's business models and how they amortize development costs (do any of us?), etc., etc., but...I like the sound of the Italian Grand and I'd buy it if the price was more reasonable...I'll shut up now...

df
BlackForest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree...the price is steep, compared to VSTs, and what you get for, 100%.

However...I cannot get used to play "on" my PC/Kontakt.
I like real hardware, especially the Kronos...and I simply love this piano sound over all the other - for me worth every penny. I even uninstalled the Japanese Grand as I couldn't stand its sound. But I'll keep the others, even though I find myself playing only the Italian.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Obvious notes that Korg Inc hasn't done much of anything , or communicated to the Kronos community for 3 years.

Thats the bigger picture.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
...as I said, there's a lot more to making good multisamples than to just "drag an instrument into a soundproof room, mic it up, and record it"......I'll shut up now...

df

Nah don't. This is a good discussion. No one's wrong here. I know it's not easy making samples. I did that for the longest with my ASR and Triton but it's looking at it in the 2020 perspective where it's hard to ignore what is being done on the other side of the fence.

The software instruments sound phenomenal right now as in better than what Korg has available on their top synth. Software guitars,strings and Piano's are undeniably close to emulating the real thing. At the same time though there are a lot of software makers that don't mind to put in the work to get the most authentic sounding instruments. It's like a competition for them to see who can sound the realist and then add on to that who can give you the most at an accessible price.

Over at Korg though it's like hey we know we left you with some Piano's we sampled half a decade ago but here is our latest Piano and if you want it you have to pay $250 for it. I mean I like Korg and all but the Pianos as detailed as they are could use a nice update to put it nicely. Then here comes this new krylon job with a new Piano. I get excited cool is this an update for all of us? Nope! Gotta pay for it.

I can't criticize the 3rd parties. They can charge what they want and people will buy it or not depending on if they feel the price is comfortable but this is Korg stock sounds. If it's coming from Korg themselves...like dude we already paid 2-4 grand and brought your keyboard. The least you can do is give us your latest sound packs so we can prolong our enjoyment of it. Time is moving on and here we are with keyboards sporting the gleaming sounds of 2010.

Back in 2000 I brought the Korg EXB PCM 06/07 for my Triton. I remember paying around $299 for it. 2 little PCM cards that came packed with an entire orchestras worth of sounds. They were the top notch cutting edge creme de la creme of authentic Orchestral sounds of the time for $299. Here we are today in 2020 and all Korg can give me is some kinda "okay" Italian Piano for $250 bucks? Have they no shame? Can they not see how far they've fallen?

and the irony is that they want to give us those dated Triton sounds for free. I mean really? Do you think that's what Kronos users want. Triton Sounds? As if we haven't had enough of them in the years we played them and all 99 Korg variations of that Keyboard before the Kronos came out? That's probably why it's the one Free sound pak they give you aside from those Organs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: