Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Nautilus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
entonio



Joined: 19 Sep 2020
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
entonio wrote:
Well, come on, no matter how critical one is of the Nautilus, Kurzweil isn't real competition, they could make a competing product but neither the PC4 nor any other of their offerings are. I'd love a modern-day K2600, but even then they'd be limited to what Fatar can provide.


Could you explain this a bit better? I feel as if I'm missing something.


The PC4 has (what I can only assume is an appropriate for it) 4.32" screen. It's telling (or it should be) of the relative complexity, there is no way the Nautilus/Kronos engines could be practically edited with such a size.

I have nothing against VAST, I would love to have a modern day equivalent of the K2600sr, but they don't sell one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KorgPlayer
Full Member


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 194

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1-2 important questions Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:

1. Will I be able to load KRONOS sound banks to NAUTILUS and vice versa?


Yes, the Nautilus will be able to import the Kronos PCG sound files. That is confirmed.


Thanx for the info. what about SNG ? thanx


No info about that SNG files yet.

Please bear in mind that, at the moment, Kronos data is NOT compatible with Nautilus. It only works from Kronos (in) to Nautilus.

However, it may be something that is developed in the future. This is a first hand information.
_________________
M1, JV-1080, WaveStationEX, PA1X, MS20, KLC...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 9451
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1-2 important questions Reply with quote

KorgPlayer wrote:
RC-IA wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:

1. Will I be able to load KRONOS sound banks to NAUTILUS and vice versa?


Yes, the Nautilus will be able to import the Kronos PCG sound files. That is confirmed.


Thanx for the info. what about SNG ? thanx


No info about that SNG files yet.

Please bear in mind that, at the moment, Kronos data is NOT compatible with Nautilus. It only works from Kronos (in) to Nautilus.


However, it may be something that is developed in the future. This is a first hand information.


I see a disconnect with SNG files, in that I use Karma scenes, and the GE use many instruments , esp drums.

I would be surprised if the PCG mapping or file conversion translated Karma data to the ARP data in Nautilus
_________________
Kronos 88. MODX8
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Koekepan
Platinum Member


Joined: 27 Sep 2016
Posts: 617

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

entonio wrote:
The PC4 has (what I can only assume is an appropriate for it) 4.32" screen. It's telling (or it should be) of the relative complexity, there is no way the Nautilus/Kronos engines could be practically edited with such a size.


I'm not buying what you're selling.

The PC4 can have a smaller screen because it doesn't have to be a touch screen. You're not dealing with the touch target limitations; instead you have softkeys and hardware controls to get things done, just as you have on the Kross, or on the Tascam DP-32SD, or a range of other products. (Isn't the FA-08 also softkey driven? I think so.)

If you have eyesight limitations, I can see that being a problem, but it's not a reflection on the complexity of the information conveyed. After all, you can do full editing of the ZEN-core engine that Roland packs into the MC-707, and that's a 256x80 backlit LCD, and the ZEN-core engine is very potent.

Bear in mind that the PC4 will do full-on DX7 sounds (and more complex!) using that screen, as well as virtual analogue of massive complexity plus their effects on their engine, so if the size of the scren is your slam-dunk argument on why the PC4 isn't a plausible mid-range competitor to the Nautilus ... I don't think that you're scoring. I would consider the presence of aftertouch and sliders way more relevant and harder to substitute without an additional purchase.

Now, if you can point to some functional underlying element, I'm listening, but I haven't really heard the big news yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KorgPlayer
Full Member


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 194

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1-2 important questions Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:
RC-IA wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:

1. Will I be able to load KRONOS sound banks to NAUTILUS and vice versa?


Yes, the Nautilus will be able to import the Kronos PCG sound files. That is confirmed.


Thanx for the info. what about SNG ? thanx


No info about that SNG files yet.

Please bear in mind that, at the moment, Kronos data is NOT compatible with Nautilus. It only works from Kronos (in) to Nautilus.


However, it may be something that is developed in the future. This is a first hand information.


I see a disconnect with SNG files, in that I use Karma scenes, and the GE use many instruments , esp drums.

I would be surprised if the PCG mapping or file conversion translated Karma data to the ARP data in Nautilus


The problem I see is that Kronos Karma can fire upon 4 channels, opposite to the Nautilus which runs 2 simultaneous arpeggiators.

So here we can see two different concepts clashing: GE Karma VS Arpeggiator working style.
_________________
M1, JV-1080, WaveStationEX, PA1X, MS20, KLC...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sharp
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 18197
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a really great keyboard at a great price, but going on thomann prices, for an extra €368 yo-yo’s you could have a have a KRONOS.
Strange they are so close.....unless KORG is about to discontinue and replace the KRONOS?

Just thinking out loud.

Sharp.
_________________
KORG Store - Irish Acts Irish Acts Online Store
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
KorgPlayer
Full Member


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 194

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Looks like a really great keyboard at a great price, but going on thomann prices, for an extra €368 yo-yo’s you could have a have a KRONOS.
Strange they are so close.....unless KORG is about to discontinue and replace the KRONOS?

Just thinking out loud.

Sharp.


Your statement is valid IF you think it's the same machine.

The BIG difference is the 2 simultaneous arpeggios and 4 arp & drums scene feature in Nautilus VS GE Karma.

Not better or worse, just a different workflow, more suitable for electro and pattern-based music I guess - where custom arpeggio patterns are crucial.
_________________
M1, JV-1080, WaveStationEX, PA1X, MS20, KLC...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sharp
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 18197
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn’t explain my thinking very well.
The Nautilus price point is very good and for very little more there is the KRONOS. Having two workstations with very close to the same features in around the same price point doesn't really make any logical sense from a product price point of view.

Also consider, the KRONOS sells for what it does right now only because it’s been on the market a very long time. If KORG were to release a new flagship workstation tomorrow, you can bet it’s price point will be back up where KORG normally release flagships at, so probably €1,000 more than the korg nautilus. If that were to happen, now that would make sense from a produce line-up price point of view.

As I say, just thinking out loud. KRONOS maybe around for another 10 years.

Regards
Sharp.
_________________
KORG Store - Irish Acts Irish Acts Online Store
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
entonio



Joined: 19 Sep 2020
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's exactly right:
- From the moment that there is a Nautilus, it's a given that the K2 will go, if the K2 were to stay there would be no need for a Nautilus.
- And from the moment that the Nautilus lacks must-have features (aftertouch being the cherry on top of the cake), it's a given that it isn't the new top product.
- Hence, if neither the K2 nor the Nautilus are the new top dog, another must be coming. And if it was to cost the same as a K2, there would be no point in it. So it will have to be significantly more expensive, and will have to justify its price. To make it more justified, the K2 won't be available for purchase, and the Nautilus leaves a lot to be desired from a flagship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
entonio



Joined: 19 Sep 2020
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
entonio wrote:
The PC4 has (what I can only assume is an appropriate for it) 4.32" screen. It's telling (or it should be) of the relative complexity, there is no way the Nautilus/Kronos engines could be practically edited with such a size.


I'm not buying what you're selling.


I guess it's really good then that I'm not in the least pressed to sell.

You're free to convince yourself that the PC4's engines are comparable to those of the Kronos / Nautilus, or that the size of the Kronos's screen is required simply for touch use (it isn't, if anything the screen should actually be larger just on account of the information there). No matter how much you can convince yourself, others know it isn't so.

Given all the controls in the PC4 and seeing as that's one of the most obvious differences between the Nautilus and the Kronos, your argument could be used to say the PC4 is competitive in relation to the Kronos. It's a mystery why Kurzweil prices it so much below, and still doesn't sell as many units.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gminorcoles



Joined: 09 Apr 2019
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

entonio wrote:
Koekepan wrote:
entonio wrote:
The PC4 has (what I can only assume is an appropriate for it) 4.32" screen. It's telling (or it should be) of the relative complexity, there is no way the Nautilus/Kronos engines could be practically edited with such a size.


I'm not buying what you're selling.


I guess it's really good then that I'm not in the least pressed to sell.

You're free to convince yourself that the PC4's engines are comparable to those of the Kronos / Nautilus, or that the size of the Kronos's screen is required simply for touch use (it isn't, if anything the screen should actually be larger just on account of the information there). No matter how much you can convince yourself, others know it isn't so.

Given all the controls in the PC4 and seeing as that's one of the most obvious differences between the Nautilus and the Kronos, your argument could be used to say the PC4 is competitive in relation to the Kronos. It's a mystery why Kurzweil prices it so much below, and still doesn't sell as many units.


The pc4 is definitely competitive with the Nautilus. Not directly comparable to the Kronos. I have both. The pc4 is a breath of fresh air compared to the Kronos, really easy to use. I love my Kronos but the pc4 is the best synth (synth-wise not hardware wise ) kurzweil has yet made except for lack of live sampling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koekepan
Platinum Member


Joined: 27 Sep 2016
Posts: 617

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gminorcoles wrote:
The pc4 is definitely competitive with the Nautilus. Not directly comparable to the Kronos. I have both. The pc4 is a breath of fresh air compared to the Kronos, really easy to use. I love my Kronos but the pc4 is the best synth (synth-wise not hardware wise ) kurzweil has yet made except for lack of live sampling.


The PC4 isn't even Kurzweil's flagship either, so I'm not surprised that the price is in the Nautilus's range. But they managed to get aftertouch for the purpose.

No live sampling, but it's still a country mile ahead of the Krome on that front, from what I can tell. Can you confirm?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BobTheDog
Platinum Member


Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 1535

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always a bit confused why global aftertouch is so important to keyboard players. I fully understand why poly aftertouch would be desirable.

As global aftertouch effects everything why can't a pedal be used instead, is it because usually two feet would be needed at all times for the normal pedals?

Excuse me my ignorance as I'm a guitar player used to loads of pedals Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
highlandstudio91
Junior Member


Joined: 08 Apr 2017
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
I'd welcome this synth if its basically all the engines of the Kronos without all the other crap(Karma/Audio/Midi Sequencer)

Korg needed to bridge that Gap in their synth line,They currently don't have anything that really gives players access to the Kronos sound engines without having to pay through the nose financially for a whole host of other s**t you don't need,As a sum of parts the Workstation is pointless nowadays,they need a comparable synth in the Catalogue to that of the Yamaha Montage/ModX lineage

I think a lot of players would Welcome a lower cost Performance synth that just was the Internal engines of the Kronos.


Want a Korg performance synth under $2,000?Buy a Korg Prologue or King Korg.If you want a more versatile synth...look at other brands....Novation Summit...or Prophet X....more money though,but steallar synths.If you really want If you really want the equivalent of the Kronos engines(or a reasonable facsimile thereof)...for under on or around $2,000....go buy a Kurzweil stage piano.Kurzweil is probably your best bet,as the build quality for the price,is unsurpassed.
By the way...the workstation demographic is still very much alive and Korg is the only company that really fits the bill,as it's their specialty.
Most of the synths I propsed to you,are reasonably close or very near the cost of the Nautilus(if not more)...so if the price of the Nautilus line is too expensive for your particular needs...well...you are sh*t out of luck and no one gives a crap(least of all,Korg.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant


Joined: 11 Dec 2009
Posts: 640
Location: Bucharest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1-2 important questions Reply with quote

KorgPlayer wrote:
GregC wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:
RC-IA wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:
KorgPlayer wrote:

1. Will I be able to load KRONOS sound banks to NAUTILUS and vice versa?


Yes, the Nautilus will be able to import the Kronos PCG sound files. That is confirmed.


Thanx for the info. what about SNG ? thanx


No info about that SNG files yet.

Please bear in mind that, at the moment, Kronos data is NOT compatible with Nautilus. It only works from Kronos (in) to Nautilus.


However, it may be something that is developed in the future. This is a first hand information.


I see a disconnect with SNG files, in that I use Karma scenes, and the GE use many instruments , esp drums.

I would be surprised if the PCG mapping or file conversion translated Karma data to the ARP data in Nautilus


The problem I see is that Kronos Karma can fire upon 4 channels, opposite to the Nautilus which runs 2 simultaneous arpeggiators.

So here we can see two different concepts clashing: GE Karma VS Arpeggiator working style.


Nautilus import the Kronos SNG file. Also PCG but is not direct compatible. Will need to adjust the Multisound, because of different position, SGX different Piano Type, different Drum Kits that should be adjust manually.
About drums, Nautilus have manny vintage rare Drum Kits include MINI POPS 5, 7, Univox, Sr-120 Rockmate with all original patterns also MS 20 Drum Kit very fresh.
_________________
http://www.danstesco.ro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group