Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading from Krome to Kronos re. KARMA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beerbelly46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Upgrading from Krome to Kronos re. KARMA Reply with quote

Im thinking of replacing my Krome with a Kronos- however im unsure if KARMA can do more than the 48 steps on the krome's arpeggiator ?

I need 4 bars or 64 steps -krome only does 48 steps or 3 bars.

Im using this in a live situation.

Any help/ideas ?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you have not gotten replies.

You might clarify or clarify what parts you are covering with your Krome ARP

I would get clear on how Kronos could handle that work.

Most importantly, is ' how easy or complex is it and what features to e used.

I am guessing RPPR might be 1 possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVwm2OkI2s

Native Karma on Kronos is complex and is not an ' Open ARP ' generator. The GE's are preprogrammed - you can 't easily " roll your own ARP " on native Karma on Kronos.

I haven't used the step sequencer- you might go to you Tube to determine if that Kronos feature will get the job done.
beerbelly46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Krome upgrade to Kronos Karma Reply with quote

Hi,
i use the programmable arp on the Krome to trigger a sequence of specific notes for Duran Duran's 'Save a Prayer' (the Arpeggiator part)

Im hoping to basically 'transfer' my songs from krome to kronos.

i use the programmable ARP in krome quite a bit for that kind of stuff -Hungry Like The Wolf etc. I also use the Kross arpeggiator too.

I just assumed the Kronos Karma would do what the Krome (and Kross) Arpeggiator does-but with much more feature/options ?

Im wondering wether to wait and get a Nautilus- as this has a 64 step arpeggiator?

**(Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics Arpeggiator is 64 steps long- the Krome is only 48 steps- so im 16 steps/1 bar short )**

Any ideas/ thoughts ?
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi beerbelly

Karma is arranged differently to a "normal" arp - you can make your own using the Karma-Kronos software - then transfer into Kronos for keeps. The GE drum tab has 3 separate arps (max 7 notes each) containing 64 steps that can be used separately or chained together or combinations thereof (i.e. 192 steps in total) but you will probably use some of those for ties and rests. the 192 steps can reduce further if your pattern requires quick short duration notes mixed with longer ones. Each note is at a fixed user specified velocity unless you bring in the GE Velocity tab which has 32 steps x 2 for each of the 2 GE Series sections (so 64 steps) The GE duration tab can shorten or lengthen notes but again it only has 32 steps x 2 so the ties in the drum tab could be a better option.

If you just want a basic arp then it isn't that complicated. be prepared for some initial head scratching with the software. Once you have made your arp it can be used with any of the other programs in Kronos.

Is difficult to explain unless you have experience of the software but you should be able to reproduce what you want.

A quicker way for a simple arp would be to use the import from midi function. Some minor tweaking might be needed but Karma does the rest. If you don't think too much about what it is doing and just use the GE then you should be fine. Quantize to the longest denominator before import otherwise you will lose steps!

Edit: Remember Karma is a polyphonic arp that can respond to user chord input or made to play a fixed pattern or just transpose according to key pressed.

Last edited by Peas&Carrots on Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
beerbelly46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Karma Reply with quote

Thank you, Peas&Carrots .

Am i understanding that i need the software to make my own Karma 'parts' ?

Even for importing/converting midi files ?

Does the Kronos come with the Karma software to transfer from Mac/ PC to Kronos or is that a separate purchase ( i notice that its $169 ) ?

Thanks again for your help.
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you would need purchase the software - please note the OS requirements and restrictions.

No Black Friday offers as of yet...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://karma-lab.com/store/

Karma standalone software pricing above per keyboard platform
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma is awesome (truly) but there are maybe some simpler ways to do what you’re trying to do with the Kronos. For example you could create a wave sequence for this kind of application. That allows up to 64 steps. But really it can be more than the 64 steps of a traditional step sequencer because each step can have its own duration. E.g some notes can be half notes, or whatever, rather than 16th notes. You can create and edit wave sequences right in the Kronos with no additional software.
beerbelly46

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Karma Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks - its given me lots of ideas and possibilities !

Cant wait to get my Kronos and start dabbling !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: