Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI confusion in Combi mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: MIDI confusion in Combi mode Reply with quote

I'm playing around with some virtual instruments using the Kronos as the controller and am struggling getting my head around the MIDI setup in Combi mode. My Kronos is setup to MIDI channel 1 in Global. The MIDI out of the Kronos is going onto my laptop via a USB cable. I'm using a MIDI filter and have only selected MIDI channel 1 as the channel my VST is receiving.

When I play the Kronos the VST sounds like it should. Now, when I go to a Combi that I created that has the first slot set to EXT and MIDI channel 2 and set the MIDI filter to only send Channel 2, the VST is not sounding. When I go to Global mode and change the MIDI channel to 2, the VST now sounds.

My incorrect understanding is that the VST should be responding to the MIDI that I set up in slot/track 1 - EXT and MIDI channel 2. What am I missing here?
Thx!
tunaman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you've selected channel 1 as your Global MIDI channel, any timbres you want to route to MIDI need to be set for that channel.

Go to the Timbre Parameter page and you will see the timbre assignments on the MIDI page. By default they are 1 through 16, in order... Any timbres you want to generate locally need to be set to Gch, and any you wish to send to your MIDI controller would be set to 1 (based on your setup - I use MIDI channel 2 myself).
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. However, I'm still very confused. At the moment, the status of all 16 timbres is turned off and the VST is still sounding. How can that be? Is the Combi being simply overridden by the Global MIDI setting? I want to layer internal sounds with VSTs just don't understand the status settings along with the choice of MIDI channels per timbre.
FB Music

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of ANY settings, the Kronos will always transmit all midi data to the channel you have assigned to be the global channel. Any external sound source (hardware or software) on the receiving end should be set to a different midi channel...

In other words: if your Kronos is set (in the global page) to global channel 1., all of your external destinations can be set to ANY channel BUT channel 1.
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually in Combi mode KRONOS transmits MIDI messages as following:
1) Any keys operated - on Global channel.
2) Generic Control (CC# messages) (pitch bend, ribbon, aftertouch, damper etc) - on Global channel
3) note on/off messages of Combi timbre set to EXT or EXT2 - on MIDI channel assigned to timbre
4) Controls (sliders, knobs and buttons) - according to settings on Global->MIDI->External

For inspection what exactly Kronos sends use some MIDI capture tool like MidiOX (for PC, several tools are available also for Mac)

So probably issue is not on Kronos side but there could be some MIDI filtering/routing thing in your laptop. I do not think any MIDI _filters_ are needed, if you want to play several VSTs from Kronos just along your keyboard playing, put all your VST-s on the same channel that equals Kronos Global channel, so you ensure that all control signals (like damper etc) reach your VSTs. There is point to set VSTs on different MIDI channels if you want to assign VST external sounds to KARMA generated MIDI, also for some more complex setups, but then you firs tneed to know what you want to achieve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: