Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXs-21 "SGX-2 Italian F Piano" -SoundQualityValueA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterksh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: EXs-21 "SGX-2 Italian F Piano" -SoundQualityValueA Reply with quote

Is the EXs-21 SGX-2 Italian F Piano the niceset sounding larger sample size grand piano for the Kronos? It is now on sale for $199 (reg. $249) is it worth the money?
How does it compare to Ivory Grand Pianos or the Keyscape LA Grand?

I recently bought a used Kronos2-88 and I have quite a few larger VSTi pianos-- Ivory II Grand Pianos and Steinway F 1951, Keyscape, Cinematic Studio Piano, The Giant etc. But I wanted to have a nicer piano within Kronos for Piano and String or Piano and pad sounds and for piano sounds that would be inspiring. I know the sample size is only 7.Gb--much less than Ivory II Grand Pianos and the other ones. I find that the decay times on synth VSTi Grand Pianos is very short. It seems like a real upright pianos has much more resonance than VSTis. But I admit I have not played with resonance paramters--I' talking out of the box sounds.

I do like the softness of the demo version of the Italian Piano that I have installed.
I like bright pianos and ballad pianos and wide stereo pianos. The Ivory Italian Piano is much larger in sample size and costs less if it is still on sale. But in a forum a purchaser of the Ivery Italian Grand said that the Synthogy technicians said that that the Ivory Italian Piano had the shortest decay time of any of the Synthogy Ivory Grand Pianos. This scared me away from it. Also it has been called a "dark" piano and I like a bright pianos.

Would the Ivory II Italian Piano be a better buy than the Korg SGX-2 Italian Piano? Does anybody own both these pianos and what would you say about their relative merits and sound etc.?
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It,s god sound for sure.

There is better FREE pianos out there, Just take you,r time to use and edit it.

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are numerous sampled AP's that are very good quality.

Its gotten 95% subjective, IMO, thus I question opinions esp when we are all somewhat different. .

If it were me, I would put my ears on each and trust that compare.
tcornishmn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting Keyscape, I can't stand any of the Korg pianos. I didn't buy the Italian grand, so I only auditioned the free version and maybe I didn't give it enough of a fair shake through the volume fade outs, but in my opinion, it doesn't hold up to Keyscape.

I'm sure this is completely subjective and varies by the genre of music you're trying to make, but for me, I'm looking for a well-behaved fairly neutral sound, and I haven't been able to get what I want from the Kronos - both the German and Berlin grand sound fairly thin with strange things in some notes in the midrange.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Italian Grand during last Black Friday sale. To my ears it's the best sounding on-board piano and i find myself using it most times now.

I can also confirm the thin sound of the others, they are quickly fading out. The Japanese I uninstalled in order to save space...

As I don't play with VST I can't compare.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
BlackForest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Italian Grand during last Black Friday sale. To my ears it's the best sounding on-board piano and i find myself using it most times now.

I can also confirm the thin sound of the others, they are quickly fading out. The Japanese I uninstalled in order to save space...

As I don't play with VST I can't compare.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
peterksh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: "SGX-2 Italian F Piano" -SoundQualityValue and Alt Reply with quote

Thank you to all of you who replied to my question. You have brought up valid points. Thanks.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in addition, the IG records beautifully.

For my purposes, almost all the SGX AP's record nicely. The Berlin is in 4th place, IMO. Even so, the Berlin is Very good.
peterksh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Thanks&Ranking the Italian F Piano's Sound Quality Reply with quote

GregC, thanks for your comments. How do you GregC or anybody else rank the Kronos pianos in terms of the beauty of the piano sounds? Where in your ranking is the Italian F Piano? Does it fill a gap in the sound types offered by the other Kronos grand pianos?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks&Ranking the Italian F Piano's Sound Quality Reply with quote

peterksh wrote:
GregC, thanks for your comments. How do you GregC or anybody else rank the Kronos pianos in terms of the beauty of the piano sounds? Where in your ranking is the Italian F Piano? Does it fill a gap in the sound types offered by the other Kronos grand pianos?

I esp like many of the programs for the IG written by Korg. That creativity seals the deal for me.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks&Ranking the Italian F Piano's Sound Quality Reply with quote

peterksh wrote:
How do you rank the Kronos pianos in terms of the beauty of the piano sounds?

My order of preference is Berlin/Bechstein, Fazioli/Italian and Steinway/German. I don't use the Yamaha/Japanese because it's not good enough for me.

That said, each has different qualities. Sometimes I prefer the Fazioli over the Berlin for happy or "bright spirit" piano pieces. On the contrary, for dark or dramatic classical stuff, the Bechstein is the best choice. So it's not just a matter of preference, since each can have its particular uses. Note that I use only one or two factory programs from time to time. In all other cases, I prefer my own custom programs of those piano sample sets. Like any other good synth/keyboard, you can't tell the real possibilities until you adapt the sounds as you want. YMMV
peterksh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank again for further replies to my questions. Happy New Year to you all!
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn’t matter to me too much, how good Korg’s Italian grand is. I recently downloaded the Italian grand sound for my Dexibell P7. And it is FREE. And it sounds great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: