Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAM - this works

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CliveJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: RAM - this works Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

My 2016 Titanium developed startup issues which I managed to track down to a faulty 4G RAM module. Typically the exact spec is now out of production but I managed to find two used 4G sticks of this on eBay for a mere £26.00

I’m sure that Kronos now boots a tad faster but, not having timed the original, I have no documented proof of this.

Note that my Kronos has the ASRock motherboard and I have only installed one of the RAM sticks (in slot 1).

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RAM - this works Reply with quote

CliveJ wrote:
Hello everybody,

My 2016 Titanium developed startup issues which I managed to track down to a faulty 4G RAM module. g]

so you are saying the original factory RAM , after 4 years, went bad ?
CliveJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: RAM - this works Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
so you are saying the original factory RAM , after 4 years, went bad ?

Hi Greg - thanks for the query,

Unfortunately so.

At first I thought the SSD had died because it wouldn’t get through the boot sequence and the HD light wasn’t flashing.

On a whim I swapped the RAM to slot 2, which didn’t work (and stopped booting in the same place) but when I put it back in slot 1 it got a little further but died again. At that point there were some messages on the LCD but they were so small they were unreadable.

I tried plugging a monitor into the VGA port but there was no output, which I assumed was due to the motherboard not initialising.

My K has been static since I bought it and never moved or gigged. Bit of a disappointment to have a failure but I’m happy it’s fixed.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good detective work !
CliveJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
good detective work !

Thank you Sir.

I’m more Clouseau than Holmes these days - but a few years in computing helped a bit Smile
rafael.friesen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: RAM - this works Reply with quote

CliveJ wrote:

Note that my Kronos has the ASRock motherboard and I have only installed one of the RAM sticks (in slot 1).

My 1st gen Kronos has ASRock too. I thought that the original motherboard was replaced with it. Am I wrong? Could it be that my K came from factory with this motherboard?

Asking because I had problem trying some RAM upgrade... 2Gb DDR3 800MHz did not worked. 1333MHz neither. Wich especification should I try?
CliveJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: RAM - this works Reply with quote

rafael.friesen wrote:

My 1st gen Kronos has ASRock too. I thought that the original motherboard was replaced with it. Am I wrong? Could it be that my K came from factory with this motherboard?

Asking because I had problem trying some RAM upgrade... 2Gb DDR3 800MHz did not worked. 1333MHz neither. Wich especification should I try?

There seem to be a few different types. If you K1 was repaired at some stage it’s possible the motherboard was upgraded.

Mine is IMB-140D-K which, typically it’s EOL
See https://www.asrockind.com/en-gb/IMB-140%20Series

I’m beginning to think Korg were throwing in whatever was available and physically fitted but I also wonder whether the Nautilus motherboard will work in a Kronos.

As for the RAM - you need to get the specs for your specific motherboard which although an AS Rock may be different to mine.

I’d also try blowing out the RAM socket with an air duster...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: