Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos 88 - Uneven Velocity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puhopihe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos 88 - Uneven Velocity Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a Korg Kronos 88 that I purchased in 2012. It had the RH3 keybed issue (that many Kronos users had, who purchased the first-gen keyboard), so the contact strips were replaced within a month of purchase and it now has the new, blue-colored strips.

I didn't have the chance to use my keyboard as much for a few years, but recently that has changed and now I have the opportunity to finally start making music. I realized, that unfortunately, the keyboard has a velocity issue: it is quite uneven, about 7 - 8 keys sound louder than others (while applying the same pressure to them).

I took the keyboard apart, cleaned the contacts and the strips, but I still had the same issue, although with different keys. I decided to try and clean them again, change the order of the strips, but the problem still persists, now having the issue again, with different keys.

The strip looked like being in a good shape, I didn't notice any deterioration that could cause this. Still, do you think that despite not looking degraded, could that possibly be the problem and some new ones would solve this issue? Or, could it be that the way the strip holder part and the back of the keyboard is fastened, could affect velocity, by putting pressure on certain areas of the contacts? I hope that makes sense. Smile Sorry, I am no expert and just guessing...

Do you have any advice? Thank you in advance for your help.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

If the keys with uneven velocities move as you swap the contact strips elsewhere after trying to clean them, you need new contact strips.
Puhopihe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi there,

If the keys with uneven velocities move as you swap the contact strips elsewhere after trying to clean them, you need new contact strips.

Thank you KK, I've just ordered some new strips. I hope they will solve the problem, I will post an update soon.
Puhopihe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: the new strips solved the velocity problem! Smile
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puhopihe wrote:

Wow, that was quick ! Where did you order them and which model ? Just so that other users here can have this info in the future if they need new contact strips. Thanks in advance.
Puhopihe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Puhopihe wrote:

Wow, that was quick ! Where did you order them and which model ? Just so that other users here can have this info in the future if they need new contact strips. Thanks in advance.

Sure!

I bought it from Parts is Parts (www.partsisparts.net). They had the best price I could find (the 12 point contact strips were $6 each, compared to $12 at syntaur.com), and shipped them the next day. The package arrived 4 days earlier than estimated. I can highly recommend them!

The part numbers are:

- 500422008889 (12 point contact strips, $6 each): 7 pieces
- 500422008890 (4 point contact strip, $5): 1 piece

Shipping was $4.95, USPS First Class.

Hope it helps!
Puhopihe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Puhopihe wrote:

Sure!

I bought them from Parts is Parts (www.partsisparts.net). They had the best price I could find (the 12 point contact strips were $6 each, compared to $12.95 at syntaur.com), and shipped them the next day. The package arrived 4 days earlier than estimated. I can highly recommend them!

The part numbers are:

Hope it helps!

Last edited by Puhopihe on Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puhopihe wrote:
Sure!

I bought it from Parts is Parts (www.partsisparts.net). They had the best price I could find (the 12 point contact strips were $6 each, compared to $12 at syntaur.com), and shipped them the next day. The package arrived 4 days earlier than estimated. I can highly recommend them!

The part numbers are:

Hope it helps!

Thank you to share this info here and I hope you enjoy your Kronos for many more years ! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: