Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie help using kronos to control behringer model d

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzsawb3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Newbie help using kronos to control behringer model d Reply with quote

I am a midi virgin, and want to use my kronos x to both control a behringer model, and route audio from the model d to my speaker. I was surprised youtube videos did not speak to thisvery well at all, nor any tutorials i could locate. Here is what i have done. I set my model d up to receive on midi 16. In global mode i ensured my midi channel was set to 16. Iconnected midi out 7 pin of kronos to midi in 7 pin of model d. I connected audio high out of model d to audio input 1 of kronos, set for line level. I enabled the audio in on the kronos. I entered combi mode, and turned off timbres 2-16. I set timbre 1 for ext2 and set audio out to l/r. I can generate the a=440 tone on the model d and hear it at proper level from my speaker. I tiurn off a=440 and I would expect at this point playing keys would cause model d to generate sound, but nothing. I verified the midi channels wereatching, changed both devices to a couple of other cjannels, still no luck. Any idea what i have missed in my newbie ignorance?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are dozens of midi explanations on this forum using Kronos as a master.

you haven't gotten to this yet, but the controls and knobs on the model D are not likely to map nicely to Kronos midi controls and knobs.

This is what I recall reading.
beerbelly46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Connecting Model D to Kronos Reply with quote

When ive connected Model D to Kronos only thing ive noticed is that when in COMBI mode set to EXT is doesnt matter what MIDI channel its set to - it will play the Model D !
Zone limits dont seem to matter either-it plays all notes so that means no Model D/ Kronos Splits.

However, in SEQ mode the MIDI channel MUST match the Model D to work.

Plus you do realise that you CANT control the Model D parameters (knobs) from the Kronos dont you ?
buzzsawb3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw over 100 pages of posts regarding midi control of daws and devices. I read thru about about a dozen pages of midi topics from top to bottom. A dozen out of a hundred is just a dent, but it took over a week to get that far. I only need the keys to trigger notes, no other control is needed. i'd prefer to twiddle the knobs direct on the model d. I can keep reading topis till i get lucky, was hoping to avoid that.
beerbelly46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Controlling model D from Kronos Reply with quote

Midi is dead straightforward.

Midi IN on Model D to Midi Out on kronos.

As long as channels match - it will play notes.

Try in COMBI mode as it will trigger notes on ANY channel.

If it doesnt then its probably either your Midi lead is faulty or some setting on Kronos that is preventing this.
buzzsawb3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on the mark beerbelly46. Brand new midi cable dead right out of the package. Resoldered a cold solder joint, reconnected the cable and all is well, the model d sounds great! Nice to add some fat moog tones to the arsenal
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You prompted me to fire up my Boog, again! This is me jamming with it and the Kronos, a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj8YqyCq_OM

Though you can't control knobs via MIDI, you can affect modulation with the pitch stick/wheel.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that you have some knobs on the Model D set to where the semimodular isn't producing any real sound, other than (as you mention) the 440Hz reference tone.

Try (judiciously) cranking all the knobs and switches up. Turn on every oscillator to its gnarliest setting, and see whether that makes any difference whatsoever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: