Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue applying effects to a program

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VoyteckM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Issue applying effects to a program Reply with quote

Hi, I'm fairly new to the kronos, just got one last week, hoping someone will be able to help me out.

I'm creating a new AL-1 program, get the sound the way I want but I'm having an issue applying and testing different effects. I set the routing to go to IFX1, select the effect like reverse reverb (very noticeable), turn it on and it works. When I change it to a different delay it does not sound like it is applying the effect anymore, then I change it back to reverse delay and I cannot hear the effect any more either. I verified the actual switch on the effect is "on" and nothing changes from the routing side, simply selecting a different effect. I've had that happen on a AL-1 new program and when trying to apply the effect to an existing Piano program. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a known bug? My kronos is on 3.1.2. Please help it is super confusing Shocked
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not clear- it sounds like you would like to apply very different delay FX at the same time. if so, I can see where that might conflict

since I can only guess, you could explain specifically the delay FX [ both ] you want to use
VoyteckM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding, I'll try to describe it better, lol.

On IFX 1 I first select Reverse Delay, hear the effect chaining the sound, just as expected.

Then I want to try another delay in IFX1 like "tape echo" just to compare which will sound better. When I change the IFX1 from the "reverse delay" to "tape echo" (or so far any effect to any effect I tried) it stops doing anything to the sound. Then I try to change it back to "reverse delay" and that no longer affects the sounds the way it did when I selected it first.

So I do not chain any effect, just browse through different ones on IFX 1 to find something I like and it looks like when I change IFX1 from the first effect I selected to another the effect is no longer applied.

It does not look like it is behaving correctly, I believe I should be able just to simply browse through effects to pick what I like. But again I'm new to kronos coming from MODX so I might be missing something obvious...
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard such an issue ! And I've never met it.

When you select a third effect in IFX1 place, does it work or not ?
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you change from one effect to another, it might be that the new effect has default settings that don't make much of a difference to the sound - tape echo might be one of those. I use tape echo in conjunction with the JS X/Y to to produce an echo that swells and subsides according to what I am trying to achieve, but it doesn't alter the sound much when I'm not using the JS X/Y.

If you had altered the settings on that initial reverse reverb effect, it won't sound the same when you change effects and then return to it later because it will have returned to its default setting. However, you can save your preferred effect settings to one of the user slots, which you'll find by clicking the button in the top right hand corner of the window. You'll see that each effect has a number of stored presets, and also plenty of empty slots for you to add your own.

To see whether or not it is a problem with the Kronos, try changing the effect to something that definitely will sound different immediately - one of the overdrive effects, for example. If that works, your Kronos is fine.

One final thought. I have also had an occasional program which, for some reason, didn't change its sound when I applied an effect, no matter what effect I tried. It's only happened a few times in eight or nine years, and I have no idea why. Maybe you have one of those weird programs, and you could check by trying to apply those effects to a different program.
VoyteckM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for chiming in. I updated to 3.1.3 last night, tried the same and no longer have the issue. I don't recall seeing anything with the effects as an fix between 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 but I am no longer able to replicate the problem I was having. Just thought I'll still mention here what helped me in case anyone else has that happen to them

@Liviou2004
Yes the third effect I went back to reverse delay and that no longer sounded.

@pete.m
Smile yes I thought of that and did not trust my ears, but when I went Reverse delay - tape echo - back to reverse delay the third selected effect reverse delay did not sound the way it did first any longer.

Well long story short - problem solved! Smile

Best

Voyteck
VoyteckM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update, after all the effects issue had to do with my MODX connected via MIDI in to the Kronos (I control MODX with Kronos and vice versa as needed). MODX (I assume Montage too) has a global CC for Scene button with #92. I noticed while looking at the global > basic > basic on the Kronos changing scences on the MODX (for different part of the song) was disabling the global IFX 1-12. Superknob has a value of CC 95 and when you turn it that disable TFX and MFX as well. So to fix it I just disabled the CC's for both Scene and Superknobn that works for my setup
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoyteckM wrote:
Another update, after all the effects issue had to do with my MODX connected via MIDI in to the Kronos (I control MODX with Kronos and vice versa as needed). MODX (I assume Montage too) has a global CC for Scene button with #92. I noticed while looking at the global > basic > basic on the Kronos changing scences on the MODX (for different part of the song) was disabling the global IFX 1-12. Superknob has a value of CC 95 and when you turn it that disable TFX and MFX as well. So to fix it I just disabled the CC's for both Scene and Superknobn that works for my setup

Good investigation ! I will test it with my Montage. I guess it would be the same.
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, Voyteck. Thanks for sharing the information, and maybe that is what causes my occasional problem as well - I don't use a Montage, but I do control two or three other synths via MIDI. Glad your problem is sorted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: